Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil pressure problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bernbomb914
I have a problem. When the engine is cold I have too much pressure and have blowen the oil filter twice. big mess. I am running 30 wt oil while I am breaking the engine in. we made a adjustable spring tension plug to keep the the pressure up when it is hot but it makes it to high when it is cold. I need a bypass from the filter when the oil is cold. I have a a external oil cooler with a thermostat built into the filter cartrage housing. Is there a differant way that wont cause this problem? I am going to Royal purple 20-40 syn. this time with a wix oil filter. Any Suggestions

Bernie
Aaron Cox
frahm filters?
type11969
My guess is that switching from a 30wt oil will help. When cold, a 30wt oil is a 30wt oil. When cold, a 10W-30 oil acts like a 10wt oil. So switching to that royal purple should help.
bernbomb914
no Bosch filter.

Bernie
Aaron Cox
go a thinner weight oil.... i guess... i use 20 50....
john rogers
Hummm, in the race car I use 5-50 synthetic and have to be careful when cold too. When hot pressure is 20 to 25# at idle and I think Bruce Anderson says even the light might flicker at idle when warm. I use the rule of 1 bar per 1k RPMs and it has worked okay. I'd stay away from a bypass though, my mechanic doesn't like them so I don't either.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (john rogers @ Mar 15 2005, 01:07 PM)
Hummm, in the race car I use 5-50 synthetic and have to be careful when cold too. When hot pressure is 20 to 25# at idle and I think Bruce Anderson says even the light might flicker at idle when warm. I use the rule of 1 bar per 1k RPMs and it has worked okay. I'd stay away from a bypass though, my mechanic doesn't like them so I don't either.

hmm... i always hear the 10 PSI per 1k rpm......
is there such a thing as tooo much oil PSI (in the case of bernie)

bernie, what is this
we made a adjustable spring tension plug to keep the the pressure up when it is hot but it makes it to high when it is cold. I

how did you do this?
ArtechnikA
make darned sure the oil pressure relief valve isn't cocked or otherwise getting stuck in its bore. coil bind? valve plunger installed upside down?

i thought the pressure relief valve was supposed to address this very issue. although i haven't seen a T-IV oil system diagram for a while ...
Aaron Cox
thats what i thought...too much pressure, and the relief valbes bleed it off
Aaron Cox
TravisNeff
We need to see some gerbils running in the oil pump gears
redshift
... I was laughing over the same thing..

laugh.gif

M
bernbomb914
IT AINT FUNNY put it all together again with royal purple 20-50 and a new filter and blew up the oil cooler another big mess now I have to pull the engine out to fix it

Bernie
lapuwali
I was just going to say you're lucky it was the oil filter and not the oil cooler that blew...

Listen to Rich and triple check the oil pressure relief valve while you have the engine out fixing the blown cooler. The valve is there primarily to prevent the cooler blowing when the oil is cold. It sounds like your valve is stuck closed or improperly assembled.
Joe Bob
Run 10-40 and don't jump on it until warm....that relief valve needs looking at as well...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.