Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP: Fuel Hard Line and Fittings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
Ok, so I want to install stainless steel fuel lines in the center tunnel of my turbo type-4 912 project. At each end of the hard line I want to go to braided line with AN fittings, to the fuel pump and tank in the front and to the engine bay in the rear. I planned to run 3/8" pressure line, 5/16" return (can be 3/8" if it needs to be), and AN-6 braided line everywhere else. My issue is the compatibility of all the different fitting options to go from the hard line to the braided lines. I do not want to use any hose clamps or anything and I want it to look nice. I have researched the various AN fittings, pipe fittings, NPT fittings, Swagelok fittings, flare fittings, etc. and I have looked into different types of hard lines. Can someone give me a simple solution to do what I want to do. I know that there are people how have installed hard lines and braided lines in there cars, someone has to have an easy solution.

-Britain pray.gif
ArtechnikA
there are 37-degree (AN) flare fittings with ferrules and B-nuts. i'd try to use those. they'll connect directly to a standard male AN hose end.

you will need to shop-fab the 37-degree flare; IIRC Earl's and the usual race-supply outfitters have the flaring tools.

they're not cheap but you could probably resell them when you're done and be out less than if you'd tried to rent one or contract the job.
Britain Smith
There are two problems with the flared ends in my situation. First, the hard line needs to make a 90 degree bend at the front of the car right where it comes out. Second, I am not sure if the flare fittings will fit through the holes on the firewall of my car. Do you have a diameter of the of a hole needed to fit a 3/8" flare fitting through?

-Britain
airsix
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Mar 15 2005, 11:34 AM)
Second, I am not sure if the flare fittings will fit through the holes on the firewall of my car.

Britain,
Flare the lines AFTER they are in place.

-Ben M.

ps - Don't forget to A] put the nut on before flaring, and B] make sure the nut is facing the right direction headbang.gif

pps - Regarding the 90 degree bend where the line comes out of the firewall: Don't bend the line - just use a 90 degree fitting. This is how my fuel lines are run. Line comes out of firewall, terminates with a flare-nut into a 90 degree fitting snugged right up against firewall. Another piece of line is attached to the other side of the elbow and runs along the bottom of the firewall. Nothing sticks out - it's all right against the firewall.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (airsix @ Mar 15 2005, 03:30 PM)
Don't forget to put the nut on before flaring, and make sure the nut is facing the right direction

...and the ferrule.

and thank you for not asking how we learned this ...
campbellcj
Britain,

Sorry I spaced on replying to your PM on the "other" board. I found the info on the plumbing bits I used for the tunnel section. The hard-line to AN adapters are made by Russell; I suppose Earls, Aeroquip etc. might also make them, but I didn't readily find them at the time.

user posted image

These are however made for aluminum tubing and I would be hesitant to use them with steel tubing. They use a ferrule to get a good compression seal but do not require flaring the tube ends. Here is a direct link to the Jegs page that shows 'em.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...077&prmenbr=361

Cheers,

TimT
Why not weld/sweat/braze/silver solder a AN fitting on the end of the SS tubing where it exits the tunnel?

you could actually weld one end on before you even run the lines, leaving yourself the easiest end to do whil under the car

beerchug.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Mar 15 2005, 12:24 PM)
Can someone give me a simple solution to do what I want to do. I know that there are people how have installed hard lines and braided lines in there cars, someone has to have an easy solution.

I looked at a lot of options when it came time to do this on my car and eventually came to the conclusion that it would be far easier to run rubber FI line from end to end.

I have far fewer fittings that could leak and it was much easier to do. hide.gif
airsix
QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 16 2005, 06:49 PM)
Why not weld/sweat/braze/silver solder a AN fitting on the end of the SS tubing where it exits the tunnel?

Keep it simple. Put a flare nut on the end & flare it with a $6 flare tool. Then just use a brass fitting adaptor to go AN.

-Ben M.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 16 2005, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Mar 15 2005, 12:24 PM)
Can someone give me a simple solution to do what I want to do.  I know that there are people how have installed hard lines and braided lines in there cars, someone has to have an easy solution.  

I looked at a lot of options when it came time to do this on my car and eventually came to the conclusion that it would be far easier to run rubber FI line from end to end.

I have far fewer fittings that could leak and it was much easier to do. hide.gif

The Great Carnak sees your future.......

Barbecued 914...... biggrin.gif

A flexible rubber line in the tunnel with a constantly moving throttle and clutch cable......That is a recipe for a fire.

Do it right and you won't burn that beautiful 914 of yours to the ground.

Ask Brad what my wife's 914 looked like after the engine fire. icon8.gif barf.gif
Allan
OOH OOH, I just installed SS lines in my car tonight (pics tomorrow). I just threaded the tubing with a 10MM die which gives me automatic barbed fittings. Going 3/8 both ways. Tested it up to 200 lbs., no leaks.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 16 2005, 10:16 PM)
OOH OOH, I just installed SS lines in my car tonight (pics tomorrow). I just threaded the tubing with a 10MM die which gives me automatic barbed fittings. Going 3/8 both ways. Tested it up to 200 lbs., no leaks.

I see that you read my tech article... good move. No bad fires for you grasshopper......

beer.gif beerchug.gif

Make sure you take a movie of your engine firing off for those of us who can't be there.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2005, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 16 2005, 10:16 PM)
OOH OOH, I just installed SS lines in my car tonight (pics tomorrow).  I just threaded the tubing with a 10MM die which gives me automatic barbed fittings.  Going 3/8 both ways.  Tested it up to 200 lbs., no leaks.

I see that you read my tech article... good move. No bad fires for you grasshopper......

beer.gif beerchug.gif

Make sure you take a movie of your engine firing off for those of us who can't be there.

or 99 bucks southwest airfare..... go to allans on sat, and then go to a huge west coast 914 gathering at the don and glenn swap on sunday....

make a weekend out here with us.... wink.gif
ClayPerrine
Is that round trip? For that cost, I may be able to talk the 914 loving wife into going......

Depends on what we have going at the time.

Notebook battery is going dead, and I have to go to work tomorrow.

Good night alll.

(We need a sleeping smiley)

Allan
Yep, followed your thread. The only problem was with the engine mount installed there is no way to run it continuously. Had to put a junction in.
Series9
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2005, 09:04 PM)

The Great Carnak sees your future.......

Barbecued 914...... biggrin.gif

A flexible rubber line in the tunnel with a constantly moving throttle and clutch cable......That is a recipe for a fire.

Do it right and you won't burn that beautiful 914 of yours to the ground.

Ask Brad what my wife's 914 looked like after the engine fire. icon8.gif barf.gif

I appreciate your concern and your expertise Clay, but I have taken the necessary precautions by securing the lines carefully away from all moving parts.

Besides, a fuel leak in the tunnel is not remotely as dangerous as one in the engine bay (where everyone has rubber lines).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.