Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine and Trans - Oil Recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
FastFroggy
I am getting ready to do my first engine and trans oil change on my 914 track car. I run an accusump if it matters

Looks like previous owner was putting redline 15-50 in the engine. Book calls for straight 30w. I generally prefer Mobil One and was planning 15-50. Any thoughts?

Then for the transmission, book call for 90w. I was again planning for Mobil One manual trans oil. if I can find it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
brant
You need oil with zddp
It's debated whether mobile one has it or not
Randal
I've always used Kendell GT-1 in my racing engines as the zinc content is high. Never a bad experience. Swepco is my go to fluid for transmissions. BUT not even Swepco will keep you from buzzing the syncros in first to second or second to third shifts.
FastFroggy
I was just looking at the following reference info.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/fi...specs-guide.pdf

Looks like 15W-50 is rated for flat tappet applications.

Thanks for the assist.
Cracker
FWIW: I run Mobile One 15-50 in my LS 914 and my D-Sportsracer. It is cheap enough that I only run two-weekends with it and start afresh.

Tony
Randal
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 28 2015, 07:10 PM) *

FWIW: I run Mobile One 15-50 in my LS 914 and my D-Sportsracer. It is cheap enough that I only run two-weekends with it and start afresh.

Tony

Trusting you had a Merry Christmas and best wishes for the 2016 New Year!

You need to post some pictures of your D Sport on here as well. Video also welcome.
FastFroggy
Still on subject: has anyone tried 0w50 Mobil One Race Oil in a 4cylinder? Seems too thin. Just figured to ask. ZDDP is really high.

Thanks
kupcar
Froggy, if you like Mobile 1, then my recommendation would be Mobile V-Twin. The zinc levels are very good. I have also used Valvoline VR-1. Also good zinc numbers and a bit easier on the pocketbook than the Mobile. For the gearbox, Swepco 201. Hope that helps.
Randal
QUOTE(kupcar @ Dec 29 2015, 11:57 AM) *

Froggy, if you like Mobile 1, then my recommendation would be Mobile V-Twin. The zinc levels are very good. I have also used Valvoline VR-1. Also good zinc numbers and a bit easier on the pocketbook than the Mobile. For the gearbox, Swepco 201. Hope that helps.

That's the oil that Mat Lowrance recommends, i.e., Mobile V-Twin. He's a big time engine builder in Reno.
jmill
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 28 2015, 09:25 AM) *

You need oil with zddp

agree.gif

Unfortunately, I grenaded an engine with a high lift flat tappet cam before I knew the additive was removed.
jmill
Mobil 1 has it but at about half the levels of V twin or their racing oils.

FastFroggy
Well understand ZDDP is needed. Question is how much. 15W-50 is listed at 1200phos and 1300zinc... I am nervous about it but the Mobil 1 guide does say "HT/HS applications, Racing and Flat tappet applications.". Question is how much is necessary? I filled with 15w-50 for now. Doing my first once thru on all systems. Will look to change probably after one or two events anyway.
Cracker
Kermit: Is this a 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinder?

Randal: Here you go...this car has a full CF body (2 clips) and Stohr wing. Lots of fun...NOW, back to the oily discussion. This is more fun though... poke.gif

Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 29 2015, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 28 2015, 07:10 PM) *

Tony

Trusting you had a Merry Christmas and best wishes for the 2016 New Year!

You need to post some pictures of your D Sport on here as well. Video also welcome.
Randal
Nice chassis icon8.gif but keeping on topic, which oil you running in that GSXR? biggrin.gif

Oh, you have tunnels on the DSR, very impressive!
campbellcj
My builder also uses the V-Twin. I've used that, and Brad Penn.
eimc
QUOTE(FastFroggy @ Dec 28 2015, 06:48 AM) *

I am getting ready to do my first engine and trans oil change on my 914 track car. I run an accusump if it matters

Looks like previous owner was putting redline 15-50 in the engine. Book calls for straight 30w. I generally prefer Mobil One and was planning 15-50. Any thoughts?

Then for the transmission, book call for 90w. I was again planning for Mobil One manual trans oil. if I can find it. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Use Sweepco in trans and never have to worry
brant
Change motor oil after every race.

I'm currently using redline (lt wt shockproof) in the trans and having great results
PotterPorsche
Brad penn 10/30 20/50 up to you, high ziinc content.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brad-Penn-Grade-1-...%3D200591297651

$6.50 a quart shipped.
FastFroggy
thanks.... great price too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.