Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkuehn
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the ignition tumbler out of the steering column of my 75. I have looked online and the one site i found showed a hole to push in the clip to release it but mine does not have that hole, can someone help as i have it down to just the housing at this point.
914Sixer
75-76 is completely different that 72-74.
76-914
IIRC and I usually don't, there is a small screw in the back on 75-76 that you remove 1st. beerchug.gif
ejm
QUOTE(jkuehn @ Dec 28 2015, 06:45 PM) *

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the ignition tumbler out of the steering column of my 75. I have looked online and the one site i found showed a hole to push in the clip to release it but mine does not have that hole, can someone help as i have it down to just the housing at this point.

If there is no hole you'll have to drill one. If the hole is there it would be under a small removable steel plate that fits into a slot in the housing. Use another lock cyl to locate how far down to drill the hole.
tweet
In 75-76 only some of the steering lock housings came with the hole that you need. The hole allows you to depress the spring clip on the ignition lock to then pull it out. Drilling the hole is possible if it is not present. The difficulty lies in getting the correct angle to drill in the correct spot with the steering shaft in place. It can be done with a Dremel flex shaft and small bit; requires patience.
pdlightning
QUOTE(tweet @ Dec 28 2015, 06:14 PM) *

In 75-76 only some of the steering lock housings came with the hole that you need. The hole allows you to depress the spring clip on the ignition lock to then pull it out. Drilling the hole is possible if it is not present. The difficulty lies in getting the correct angle to drill in the correct spot with the steering shaft in place. It can be done with a Dremel flex shaft and small bit; requires patience.

How does the early 70-71 cylinders get removed? I heard they are different also!
ejm
QUOTE(pdlightning @ Dec 29 2015, 12:33 AM) *

How does the early 70-71 cylinders get removed? I heard they are different also!

It has a similar spring tab that requires drilling a hole
r_towle
Given this is just a spring clip, can the cylinder be removed by force?
Can one screw in a decent sheet metal screw into the lock and pull it out using a dent puller?
Seems the spring would eventually lose.
barefoot

Somewhere in these threads is a complete description of the technique.
I can't find it just now, but had saved this photo, worked for me.

Click to view attachment
jkuehn
QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 29 2015, 06:53 PM) *

Somewhere in these threads is a complete description of the technique.
I can't find it just now, but had saved this photo, worked for me.

Click to view attachment

Which one in the pic worked for you the one on the right or left?
ejm
The factory drilled ones I've seen had the hole in the slot. The groove in the lock cyl is over 1/2" long. With a thin pick you could most likely release it drilling outside the slot. Drilling the correct distance down from the edge of the housing is more important since the tab is less than 3/16 wide.
tweet
The pictures are indicating the following:

first - the metal plate that covers the hole

second - orientation of spring clip on ignition lock as it relates to the access hole; as you can see the apex of the spring clip lines up with the hole when fully seated in steering lock

third - metal plate removed on a factory pre-drilled hole

fourth - hole manually drilled on a steering lock that was not present originally

fifth - you can see the apex of the spring clip lines up with the hole once it is fully seated in steering lock

sixth - you need to drill the hole about 12-13 mm from the very edge of the steering lock housing so that the hole is centered over the spring clip---don't go too deep or you will drill through the spring clip

Tz Toy
QUOTE(tweet @ Dec 30 2015, 05:52 PM) *

The pictures are indicating the following:

first - the metal plate that covers the hole

second - orientation of spring clip on ignition lock as it relates to the access hole; as you can see the apex of the spring clip lines up with the hole when fully seated in steering lock

third - metal plate removed on a factory pre-drilled hole

fourth - hole manually drilled on a steering lock that was not present originally

fifth - you can see the apex of the spring clip lines up with the hole once it is fully seated in steering lock

sixth - you need to drill the hole about 12-13 mm from the very edge of the steering lock housing so that the hole is centered over the spring clip---don't go too deep or you will drill through the spring clip

Thanks for the pics. Never would have figured out how to pull tumbler without them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.