Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I bought a '73 2.0….
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
KELTY360
Original paint?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 1 2016, 10:03 PM) *

The trunk has some surface rust in that corner, but the number is there. I replaced the rear bumper with a nice "tit-less" one that I had on Speedy. Front bumper changed/upgraded today too. I replaced the front lower valance and fixed the fogs. The engine needs a few things addressed, and the heat exchangers are shot. The new muffler helped to identify the exhaust leak in a different area. It will be fun to work on trying to tighten up new pipes to old heads. Nevertheless, I'm driving it to cars n' coffee tomorrow.

Larry,

Glad you rechecked & found it. BTW, you use the VIN sticker year to look up a 1972 calendar, then count all weeks to to get WW - including just 1 day 1/1/72 as first week. Let us know what your build date comes out to be?

My build date came out to 8/31/72 & 8/72 VIN date - so it's the fastest 914 build AFAIK! biggrin.gif

John L. on here on the early 73 Orange 2L he used to own had around VIN #...1100-ish, a Chassis # +/- 10 days before me, but a 9/72 VIN date - go figure! confused24.gif

Our son is still in town last day of leave, before he needs to drive back to Ft. Carson CO, so no C&C this am for me! Sorry to miss the new debut! sad.gif

You might think about coming up to Central OC on 3rd Sat. 1/16 8:30-10-ish am for the PCA/OCR's Porsches & Doughnuts at the Orange Krispy Kreme at The Outlets/The Block off the 22 at State College/The City Drive. You can also make it a two-fer with the 6-9 am C&C at Enderle Center same day before that (IIRC they're every Sat. like the original at Ford/De Taco HQ was).

http://www.autokennel.com/AutoKennel/Cars_and_Coffee.html
> this 2/21 date mentioned in the linked webpage was referring to the move there in Feb 2015, but IIRC it's every Sat. am, but you can email or PM Paul Kramer - who is also a member on here now.

Shoot me a PM or email the Friday before Larry, if you every come north for those, & I'll try to swing by to see your new "Black Beauty"! drooley.gif

Since you need HEs, IMHO get a pair of new Dansk made/sold SSI or a used or NOS set of the original SSI Stainless Steel HEs & never worry again! If you want the purist OEM look, then you can always have them painted the Porsche exhaust gray with high temp exhaust paint.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 2 2016, 09:27 AM) *

Original paint?

Good question Mark.

FYI Larry - if it is original or mostly so, then if it's still 75% original paint & 75% original interior, then you can concours under PCA Zone 8 rules as Originality class.

Also, they did change the rules for 2016 to have a separate 914 Class in Wash & Shine (based on my suggestion) - which the easiest Concours class judging only exterior & interior - if you want to do that, or at least bring your new baby down & display it at our OCR Concours in Dana Point this June (I'll try to get them to drop the price this year as they do in SDR at only $10 - vs. OCR's $30).

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

colingreene
Its a nice car, but its not so nice that i would preserve it.
I Mean if it was the original untouched engine and it was clear none of it had ever been out of the car. maybe.
But this car has seen some miles the bones are good but not enough that would keep me from sticking a six in it and flipping the bird to purists.
Beach914
Nice find Lawrence. Sorry I missed you at Cars&Coffee today. Look forward to seeing it.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 2 2016, 11:22 AM) *

John L. on here on the early 73 Orange 2L he used to own had around VIN #...1100-ish, a Chassis # +/- 10 days before me, but a 9/72 VIN date - go figure! confused24.gif

The VIN stamps and date stamps and such were not done on a one-by-one basis as the cars rolled off the line. They were done in batches, and cars could be sent back before winding up getting sent back for re-work before making it to where the VIN was issued. That's one of the reasons why there is only a rough correlation between chassis #s and VINs.

--DD
Larmo63
My car was built on August 21st, 1972. #78 of that day.

Engine #GA1000501

It is not a concourse car, but I will do it proud. I had Yokohamas mounted
on it today, 205/60 x 15. Suspension is still complete shit, compared to Speedy.
colingreene
Did you swap the tyres from speedy to this car? why?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 2 2016, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 2 2016, 11:22 AM) *

The VIN stamps and date stamps and such were not done on a one-by-one basis as the cars rolled off the line. They were done in batches, and cars could be sent back before winding up getting sent back for re-work before making it to where the VIN was issued. That's one of the reasons why there is only a rough correlation between chassis #s and VINs.

--DD

Dave - not to fear, I offered Joh's varied build date as an example of what you're pointing out .... & it's said in jest that my 914 was the fastest build in one day! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 2 2016, 05:16 PM) *

My car was built on August 21st, 1972. #78 of that day.

Engine #GA1000501

It is not a concourse car, but I will do it proud. I had Yokohamas mounted
on it today, 205/60 x 15. Suspension is still complete shit, compared to Speedy.

Lawrence - don't let the "Concours" in the PCA Zone 8's Concours put you off - it's really just cleaning, prep & detailing contest to present a car in it's present condition well for the judges.

And if you're not into the clean/prep/detail rigmarole, then just display it.

Also, the 1st Sat Feb 2016 OCR "Breakfast Club" at Original Mike's in Santa Ana is featuring the 914s - along with 924/944/968 & 928 cars on display in their "Porsche Alley" - & breakfast buffet was $24 per couple/$12 per person last I went, so not a bad deal. Andy Thonet's 914-6 was featured in Pandomonium pg. 43 from the December breakfast & represented us well (but I haven't heard whether or not he has the Aug, accident damage fixed yet).

IIRC my GA motor is in the 439-ish earlier than your 501, but VIN ...1954 is later & chassi build date is 10 days later, & your build date/chassis no. is really close to John L's orange 73 2L, but I don't recall it either (my pix & docs are locked up in my semi-functional old laptop for now dry.gif ).

Again - dates & numbers with the stipulations noted by Mr. Darling above.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Larmo63
This car is fun, because there is so much to do/fix/clean on it. I worked on the vacuum lines and the cars is now running well. I have an exhaust leak, maybe inside the heat exchangers. I installed Yokohama 205/60 x 15 Avid Envigor tires yesterday, the ride is shaping up. I did a bit of polishing, just whatever.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
steuspeed
Ditch that dealer plate frame. This one came from O'rielly's. I'ts plastic, but hey it won't rust. Much cleaner look.
Coondog
Don't be a hater it's a Newport Beach thing........ piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I grew up in Newport Beach.

Chick Iverson was our 'go to' VW and Porsche dealer. I remember before they built the huge new dealership on Pacific Coast Highway, they had the little old building next to the Crab Cooker. I was a little boy and I would ride my Sting Ray down there and gaze in the window at the brand new Karmann Ghias and 356 Porsches.

I may be dating myself, but it's all true. Those were truly "The good old days."

Click to view attachment
Wdunster
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 30 2015, 11:23 PM) *

Oh, and it has the weird black vinyl on the windshield frame too.

Only the first 1000 came off the line with the windshield vinyl in 73. I just bought a 73 black 2.0 with the same vinyl.
You scored!!
Coondog
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 3 2016, 09:17 PM) *

Chick Iverson was our 'go to' VW and Porsche dealer. I remember before they built the huge new dealership on Pacific Coast Highway, they had the little old building next to the Crab Cooker. I was a little boy and I would ride my Sting Ray down there and gaze in the window at the brand new Karmann Ghias and 356 Porsches.

I may be dating myself, but it's all true. Those were truly "The good old days."

Click to view attachment

Learned how to surf at 32nd St and I learned how to drink at the Stag. What a crappy spot to surf but good times at the Stag. Every Friday night was Speedway then hit up the Stag where the tourist rarely entered and Bill the bartender poured hefty drinks.

Chris H.
Believe it or not those dealer plate frames are worth $$$! I like the look myself. It's period correct. Have a set off of my old '71 Fastback from Niello VW in Sacramento. Even battle scarred they are worth $100 or so. Think I paid $400 for THE WHOLE CAR back in '89.

Love the car! Keep both! One to mess with, one to keep original.
Cal
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 3 2016, 07:32 PM) *

This car is fun, because there is so much to do/fix/clean on it. I worked on the vacuum lines and the cars is now running well. I have an exhaust leak, maybe inside the heat exchangers. I installed Yokohama 205/60 x 15 Avid Envigor tires yesterday, the ride is shaping up. I did a bit of polishing, just whatever.

Click to view attachment

Lawrence, I like the new Dansk exhaust that you installed on your car. I want to change the Bursch exhaust that the PO put on my '74 2.0L. Is your Dansk anything special.....are the two strap hangers standard......does it bolt directly to SSI heat exchangers? Any info would be helpful.

.....keep the vintage plate frame.....I have a Brumos.

Thx
Beach914
Very nice car Lawrence. A great find. Go get a couple of tamper proof Allen cap screws for your frame and make any potential taker to think twice before trying to remove it. People are starting to figure out how much our stuff is worth.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Wdunster @ Jan 4 2016, 04:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 30 2015, 11:23 PM) *

Oh, and it has the weird black vinyl on the windshield frame too.

Only the first 1000 came off the line with the windshield vinyl in 73. I just bought a 73 black 2.0 with the same vinyl.
You scored!!

No - it at least goes as far as #1954 with the black vinyl, cuz mine had it.
Perhaps more like 2000-ish were done that way.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 4 2016, 04:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 3 2016, 09:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Learned how to surf at 32nd St and I learned how to drink at the Stag. What a crappy spot to surf but good times at the Stag. Every Friday night was Speedway then hit up the Stag where the tourist rarely entered and Bill the bartender poured hefty drinks.

Lawrence,

Someone has that or the later version VW Transporter Van in the Iverson Porsche+Audi logo from their post-PCH address move where they had the twin dealership, & they brought it to display at the OCR Dana Point Concours 2 or 3 years ago, very nicely restored or preserved, or maybe a tribute car.

I didn't know them til their PCH days in the early 70's, but they weren't always the best folks to work with by then. Now today the folks there are downright snotty & most of the PCA guys will travel to Circle in Long Beach instead. I know Newport Porsche lost at least one 918 sale due to their "attitude problems"!

The Iverson plate frames are nice, but as noted above, get some of those tamper-proof screws for them.

Any of the period correct dealer frames are cool on old cars of any make, so I don't get the negative comment here! confused24.gif

FYI - Auto Atlanta sells a colored vacuum hose kit which replicates the OE factory hoses on the 914s, if you want to get really anal on it! biggrin.gif
.... seriously though, it's also easier to plug-n-play the correct hoses with it IMHO.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Rocky
My grandfather sold real estate in Balboa during the 50's and 60's. That dealer was awesome. Miss Newport big time,
Your doing that car proud so you deserve it! Nice quiver of boards by the way.
Rocky
My grandfather sold real estate in Balboa during the 50's and 60's. That dealer was awesome. Miss Newport big time,
Your doing that car proud so you deserve it! Nice quiver of boards by the way.
Larmo63
I'm having really bad exhaust leaks/noise.

Do heat exchangers ever leak or crack on the inside of the boxes? That seems to be where the noise is emanating from.

Pipes are tight to the heads, and tight to the new Dansk muffler.

Frustrating.
Chris H.
Yes they can sir. You can pressure test them. The fun part is you get to take them off the car to do it thumb3d.gif .

Brad M warning

And another one.

Another Brad warning

Don't run the heat if it smells even slightly "exhaust-y". Carbon monoxide is bad.
colingreene
Actually, I have a borescope, we can pull the muffler and push it down the pipes to check for leaks at some point.
That could work.
Larmo63
I've done tons of stuff to the car, and today Forrest and I started swapping the complete suspension from Speedy to the new black car. After living with it for exactly a month, I am so happy to be so far ahead as far as a solid tub. Speedy was fun, but I can really develop Blackie into a much better car for far less money, body wise.

This 2.0 engine, now tuned and tuned up, is such a better power plant than the 1.7.

Pics to follow…..
r_towle
Yes, check your heat exchangers.....it's a safety issue.
Larmo63
Swapping valuable suspension over….a lot more work than we thought it would be, not that we haven't done it before.

attachmentid=538231]
Larmo63
Rears done today, tomorrow fronts and then alignment, tune everything...Click to view attachment
mark04usa
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 27 2016, 10:09 PM) *

Rears done today, tomorrow fronts and then alignment, tune everything...Click to view attachment

Blackie is looking good! Great to see a 914 that is NOT being butchered! Thank you for doing right by the car. first.gif
Cairo94507
A thing of beauty, indeed. smilie_pokal.gif
Jett
Agreed, beautiful car!

I just bought a 75 2.0 and you are right, the motor is very different from our 1.7 smile.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 31 2015, 06:45 AM) *

Chassis #1012 of 1973.

This car doesn't look like it was ever hit, although it has a '74 rear bumper(??)

I haven't peeled the rocker covers off yet. We had it on a lift over at Steve's house, and it looks good underneath.

As to whether I will convert this one, I am thinking long and hard about it. It is too nice of a car to hack up.

Nice! 1012 is only 35 after a car I picked up this summer. That reminds me, I need to go add that one to the database...

I suspected #977 had the A-pillar vinyl as well given the pillars are painted black on a white car. Mine also appears to have the early window regulators, guessing 1012 does as well.
Larmo63
I'm a bit held up trying to get the control arms off of the steering box. i need that special flat wrench. Where can I rent, buy, borrow, or steal one? I don't remember how we got them off of Speedy when We did the conversion, but these ones are proving to be a bitch.
Larmo63
I spent half the day removing the five lug stuff off of one car and re-installing it on the black car. All by myself. Tough one man job, but it's done.

I bleed the brakes tomorrow, then I'm back on the road.Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Terrible flash picture, but, we like pictures!!!

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Looking good ! drooley.gif
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif
Coondog
Very nicely done, maybe you can take it out Sunday before it rains.
JRust
Drop that front end about 2". Other than that I love it drooley.gif
Larmo63
I had just dropped it off of it's jackstands onto the ground! I was so proud of myself that I had to take a quick photo.

I'll fiddle with it tomorrow as far as height and then have it four corner aligned.
Larmo63
Okay, a couple of questions: When the emergency brake is on, the red brake light on the top of the gas gauge blinks. Is that right?

And, no matter what I do, the front trunk is REALLY hard to open. I mean, pulling the latch under the dash is hard. What is the issue?

This car is really coming along and I love it. Speedy went off to Germany. He might be going through the Panama Canal right now.

Click to view attachment
colingreene
I never asked if the cable was hard to pull without it being latched.
yes mine blinks when the hand brake is pulled.
horizontally-opposed
Just saw this. Congratulations on the find, and what a cool car! beerchug.gif

pete
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 28 2016, 05:08 PM) *

Swapping valuable suspension over….a lot more work than we thought it would be, not that we haven't done it before.

attachmentid=538231]

Was the yellow car the basis for the six conversion? is that the one you sold to oversea's? confused24.gif
Will blackie grow another 2 cylinders soon laugh.gif ,IMO blackie would be ideal.
This car is a wee gem my friend well done.
pete000
Love the Fuchs ! I am going to do that too someday !
Shredhead
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 18 2016, 11:30 PM) *

And, no matter what I do, the front trunk is REALLY hard to open. I mean, pulling the latch under the dash is hard. What is the issue?

Same problem.
dangrouche
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 18 2016, 08:30 PM) *

Okay, a couple of questions: When the emergency brake is on, the red brake light on the top of the gas gauge blinks. Is that right?

This car is really coming along and I love it. Speedy went off to Germany. He might be going through the Panama Canal right now.

Click to view attachment

there is some adjustability to the front trunk cable, its at the latch mechanism. the stop bolt may have loosened and you need to regain that tension. also do a detailed inspection along the entire length of that white plastic housing, it may have cracked, and hence the cause for hard to open. 914rubber I believe sells an entire replacement cable&housing assembly I believe. not hard to change BTW. nice ride with the 5 spoke Fuchs !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.