Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible 914 1.8 purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Canine64
Hey there,

Just happened to come across this car during my travels and was hoping for some feedback and advice. 1974 914 1.8 with approximately 60,000 miles, former TX car, supposed original paint, really nice interior, new Bilsteins, upgraded wheels, and minimal rust. Is this color Olympic Blue? I have not driven it yet, nor have I had a PPI performed, but have been told it runs great as fuel lines and oil lines have been replaced. Car has been serviced regularly over the last 8 years by current owner.

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I am a 911 guy who knows nothing about the 914. Literally caught this out of the corner of my eye while driving and made a u-turn to check it out. What's a fair price if it checks out mechanically and body wise?

Happy New Year!

Mike

Click to view attachment
Canine64
Floors were solid, battery box solid, undercarriage looked great. Only rust I saw was on front cowl. Click to view attachment
G e o r g e
Minimal Rust means what exactly?

trunk floors?

Floor boards?

longs behind rocker covers?

Hell hole?

Drivers side hole?

at first glance and description I would think 5- 6K on up. but your new york location should bring more if it does have minimum rust. they all have rust somewhere.
G e o r g e
after your second pic I would do a good search you will find more than that. I would bet a lot more.

that alone would take me down into the 3's and would expect to be lower after a good PPI
GaroldShaffer
that rust is not an easy repair. Cowls sections are PITA. No more that $2k at best and even then I think you would be better off looking for a different 914. Unless you are looking for a project car.
bandjoey
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

Thr floor tar hides a lot of rust too. Get a local PPI done. Good luck
wndsnd
Yes that is Olympic Blue.

That cowl is very labor intensive. They rot from inside out so that will go deep into fender nether regions. If suspension points and longs are solid you might want to ignore and just drive it, but usually that is not the case. Try to get a 914 guy to help you look it over again.
wndsnd
BTW, some covet those wheels!
Canine64
Thanks for all the timely responses. The guy was looking to get $12k, and I was going to offer $8k pending a satisfactory PPI. After reading the comments and searching various threads, you all just saved me a bunch of $ and possible heartache. Thanks!!!
ndfrigi
$8k is still too much for that condition.
jimkelly
way too much. to most, that is a parts car.

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 1 2016, 12:15 AM) *

$8k is still too much for that condition.

mepstein
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Dec 31 2015, 04:12 PM) *

that rust is not an easy repair. Cowls sections are PITA. No more that $2k at best and even then I think you would be better off looking for a different 914. Unless you are looking for a project car.

agree.gif cowl area doesn't rust on its own. It's the tip of the iceberg.
TheCabinetmaker
The mechanical is the easy part to deal with. Buy the cleanest body you can find.
rhodyguy
The only rust you've seen is that which is immediately visible. There will be more. Far too much $. Even at $8k. The 'supposedly' original paint will be history after the cowl repairs. Tread lightly.
whitetwinturbo
..........first decide on you budget THEN chase the best car in that money range beer.gif

..........unless you like serious work headbang.gif
boxsterfan
Given the cowl pic, there is likely enough rust on the rest of the car. I wouldn't pay more than $1,200 for it and I would part it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.