Full Version: what were they thinking when they designed the 9 *1*4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tomrev
Irish Green too! (just like my sixer was!) Beautiful
larryM
see Esquire - 1 of 12 most embarrassing cars ever

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jan 7 2016, 04:50 PM) *

In the US the 914 was marketed as an entry level Porsche, or a 912 Replacement.

The magazine ads went The 29 MPG Porsche, The Sun Porsche, The City Porsche, The Space Porsche, and The Weather Porsche.

In Europe the 914 was marketed as a VW Type III Karmann Ghia replacement, the more familiar to US consumers Type I based Karmann Ghia was still in production.

The magazine ads went, Meister Aller Kurven, Der Mittelmotor-Porsche, and Nichts Bringt Schöner In Farht, and Die Härteste Teststrecke Für Sportwagen.

Readable Porsche literature can be found here,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/356.php
And a couple of ads can be found here,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ads/adsporsche.php
Larmo63
Tom, your writing and insight are great! Thank you.

I think that 15" Fuchs look better on /6s than 14". IMHO.

I'm DRIVING my car, IDGAF what happens after I die. I have 30 years +/- to go and I enjoy driving my 914 more than any car I've ever owned.

My boys can rebuild/re-restore whatever is leftover, plus, self driving cars may, at some point, make our beloved sports cars obsolete and they'll end up in museums anyway.

SirAndy
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 7 2016, 03:40 PM) *
what were they thinking when they designed the 9 *1*4

DGVWPB has all the answers you seek ...
shades.gif
Bulldog9
And there we go....

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 9 2016, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jan 9 2016, 12:49 PM) *

My "Troll" comment was directed at the OP........... IMO, the tone and responses are.

I see LOTS of discussion, differing opinions on 914 world, but little of what feels trollish. This guy just does.

Lotta crying and whineing for a grow man .......

But I guess someone s gotta be the wolf and someone gotta be the sheep sheeplove.gif

"Do you know who the he'll I am " ty Cobb

thelogo
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jan 9 2016, 07:07 PM) *

And there we go....

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 9 2016, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jan 9 2016, 12:49 PM) *

My "Troll" comment was directed at the OP........... IMO, the tone and responses are.

I see LOTS of discussion, differing opinions on 914 world, but little of what feels trollish. This guy just does.

Lotta crying and whineing for a grow man .......

But I guess someone s gotta be the wolf and someone gotta be the sheep sheeplove.gif

"Do you know who the he'll I am " ty Cobb

Euerka ! Who fucckinn cares "
Jason74914
Don't forget that in 1970 the 914 was the FIRST Motor Trend Import Car of the Year.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/import-car-...e-year-winners/
thelogo
Strange times those 70' s

I would a had a gold 914

And a gold metal
TheCabinetmaker
Dave Menche.
Beeliner
I saw my first 914 as I was leaving college in Arizona and bought a 914-4 in 1970. I thought the six was not necessary in NYC so I passed on it. Who knew?

Replaced the first one when I ran over a pipe that damaged the tranny. The second one died when I was pinched between a tree and a Chevy in my wife's driveway. Third I drove until the first kid was arriving.

Tom-t said it all about what happened to the 914 in its production life time. I drove mine to Arizona and back, and many skiing trips. Man, what a great car to drive in the snow!

My friends bought Fiat 124s and 240z. I was never jealous. They were. But the exchange rate killed foreign cars off....
mbseto
Awesome response Tom_T.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.