Full Version: what were they thinking when they designed the 9 *1*4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
thelogo
So when these cars came out what was there so called segment

I know it's said that it's the 912 replacement

And

Karmin ghia replacement

But was this thing really made as just a fill in car .

I personally use it as many things , it fill many roles well not something we usually associated with a small 2 seater

It may be the 2nd best handling car around

No.1 , 944

But how was it marketed and presented to the motoring public when it came out .Obviously it was not marketed as buy this car and it will still be cool 35 years later. And was it designed to handle really well (for a car with normal tires )

Or was that just a by product of superior german manufacturing and execution.

In all honesty the 912 and karmen ghia are

Pretty big shoes to filll

And a teener does it well

But would I be correct to assume a 914 (not wild conversion) with the same power
As a 911 would be the faster or quicker car
pray.gif screwy.gif smilie_pokal.gif sunglasses.gif beer3.gif
Mueller
confusing post....

Not sure whom has missed their medications today, you or I? smile.gif
thelogo
I googled 914 advertisement s and they show a lot of magazine reviews about the car

But too small to read

And I doubt I can find a road and track from the 70 s
RoadGlue
Look between the rotational light beams and see the message man. It's there. Dr. Porsche sent his love through the eternal longs of happy handling.

Offer your car a sacrificial flag, bring it forth to the flaggy flag man and be one with your wheeled horse.

Mike, I hope that settles things.
thelogo
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 7 2016, 03:42 PM) *

confusing post....

How bout you contribute something to the subject then

You can criticize
thelogo
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jan 7 2016, 03:49 PM) *

Look between the rotational light beams and see the message man. It's there. Dr. Porsche sent his love through the eternal longs of happy handling.

Offer your car a sacrificial flag, bring it forth to the flaggy flag man and be one with your wheeled horse.

Yeh you see this guy gets it piratenanner.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 7 2016, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jan 7 2016, 03:49 PM) *

Yeh you see this guy gets it piratenanner.gif

I was there man, I was there!

pray.gif

Without the flag how can there be love? How can you begin without a finish line?
thelogo

confusing post....

I knew I had heard this somewhere

https://youtu.be/-2ZPFDt2Fv8
Mueller
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 7 2016, 03:49 PM) *

confusing post....

How bout you contribute something to the subject then

You can criticize

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 7 2016, 03:47 PM) *

I googled 914 advertisement s and they show a lot of magazine reviews about the car

But too small to read

Vintage magazines for vintage ads...imagine that?! smile.gif
damesandhotrods
In the US the 914 was marketed as an entry level Porsche, or a 912 Replacement.

The magazine ads went The 29 MPG Porsche, The Sun Porsche, The City Porsche, The Space Porsche, and The Weather Porsche.

In Europe the 914 was marketed as a VW Type III Karmann Ghia replacement, the more familiar to US consumers Type I based Karmann Ghia was still in production.

The magazine ads went, Meister Aller Kurven, Der Mittelmotor-Porsche, and Nichts Bringt Schöner In Farht, and Die Härteste Teststrecke Für Sportwagen.

Readable Porsche literature can be found here,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/356.php
And a couple of ads can be found here,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ads/adsporsche.php
thelogo
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jan 7 2016, 04:50 PM) *

The magazine ads went The 29 MPG Porsche, The Sun Porsche, The City Porsche, The Space Porsche, and The Weather Porsche.

In Europe the 914 was marketed as a VW Type III Karmann Ghia replacement, the more familiar to US consumers Type I based Karmann Ghia was still in production.

The magazine ads went, Meister Aller Kurven, Der Mittelmotor-Porsche, and Nichts Bringt Schöner In Farht, and Die Härteste Teststrecke Für Sportwagen.

Great insight man

But what the he'll is the

Weather Porsche even supposed to mean
Jett
I assume "the weather" Porsche means that the 914 works well in all types of weather.
Racer
Simple entry level product. Can't be a "one trick pony" company aka just the 911. A chance to grow the brand and improve the bottom line. Just like the 924/44 series cars.. and the Boxster..
Larmo63
Wait, what am I reading……?

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
I fell in love with my 914 when my Dad picked me up in it. I told everyone at school that my Dad had a Porsche. No one believed me.

I still enjoy driving it. He could have bought many other cars in 1976 second hand, I'm grateful it was my 74 914.
thelogo
QUOTE(Racer @ Jan 7 2016, 05:26 PM) *

Simple entry level product. Can't be a "one trick pony" company aka just the 911. A chance to grow the brand and improve the bottom line. Just like the 924/44 series cars.. and the Boxster..

As in wow I just liked my 914 so much but now that it's 35 years old and I've got money

I think ill go bye a 911
KELTY360
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 7 2016, 04:54 PM) *

Great insight man

Go to fleabay and do a search for "Porsche 914 advertising". You'll find many different ads Porsche placed to highlight the versatility of the 914.

The Weather Porsche

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
Wasn't the 916 (current 911 power) the fastest production Porsche in '72?

I know - they only made 11 of them but it answers the question of what would a 914 with 911 power be like.
r_towle
You lost me by making a bogus claim that the 944 handles better than a 914....
That statement alone makes everything else pure bunk.

Now a 928, that is a whole different animal.
thelogo
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jan 7 2016, 07:05 PM) *

Wasn't the 916 (current 911 power) the fastest production Porsche in '72?

I know - they only made 11 of them but it answers the question of what would a 914 with 911 power be like.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/1971-...16-ar80821.html

Really cool car but is that top speed for real

145 mph without any downforce or spoilers

Little scary , unless the car was reall that planted
thelogo
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 7 2016, 07:15 PM) *

You lost me by making a bogus claim that the 944 handles better than a 914....
That statement alone makes everything else pure bunk.

Now a 928, that is a whole different animal.

That's the impression I was under

I've rode in a 928 hundreds of times and it was pretty damn smooth

Only rode in. 944 once and it did handle well

But driving the 914 keeps my sanity
thelogo
QUOTE(Jett @ Jan 7 2016, 05:17 PM) *

I assume "the weather" Porsche means that the 914 works well in all types of weather.

That's comforting to know just in case

But I thought it's strenuously recommended

That these car s not see rain , ( battery tray especially)

Obviously when they came out this was not realized
RARE 6
Maybe this'll help.
We bought a brand new 1970 914-4 just as soon as we could when they first came out. Got rid of an Impala and a Beetle to do it and settled on a '49 Jeepster as its stablemate for our second car as newlyweds.
Here's why. I'd wanted a sports car for a while after having owned both '54 and '55 Corvettes. The 914 was affordable, technologically advanced with its mid-engine layout, economical, had plenty of trunk space, a removable top and, maybe as important as all that, was the only sports car my 6'3" body could fit in with the seat up a notch from full back. And it looked "different" in a clean and classy way.
One year and about 30,000 miles later, the dealership talked me out of it during a dock strike when they didn't even have a demonstrator or one to put in the showroom. I looked at a used '69 911E first and almost bought it. Then they showed me three brand new 914-6s way in the back of the garage they hadn't been able to move. All the original decision points plus a power boost made the choice easy. 45 years and about 90,000 miles later we've completed the latest cosmetic refurbishment and a 2,300 mile shakedown cruise, the first of four bucket list drives to all four corners of the continental U.S. Next one comes up in May and might even include the WCR.
Still more fun to drive than just look at.Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Rare 6 - smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Hank914
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 7 2016, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Jan 7 2016, 05:17 PM) *

That's comforting to know just in case

But I thought it's strenuously recommended

That these car s not see rain , ( battery tray especially)

Obviously when they came out this was not realized

As Rare6 says: "Still more fun to drive than just look at."

The Weather Porsche does work well in all kinds of weather. And fun to drive year round, sun, rain and snow (but I do understand those that live in states that use salt as a snow removal technique should park their cars until the salt is gone).

As for rain, these cars can handle rain. And as per 'battery tray especially', well, if the rain was the main factor in hell hole corrosion, all areas of the car that got wet would look like the battery tray. So maybe it was the battery that contributed to the hell hole more than the rain?

Enjoy the ride! In all kinds of weather!
porschetub
Hell I have no idea,my 74 914 and is motorless and waiting for six to go in,I do know that my 944 handles really well have owned mine for 10yrs or more.....hopefully I will have a comparison soon???
One thing I do know is how these cars look ,all my friends like mine and people pass my house and say what a cool car when its out of the shed.
Coondog
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Jan 7 2016, 09:03 PM) *

Beautiful car and a orginal 914 owner "X-2". You have my respect. You drive. I will just look, best wishes on your driving bucket list.
Tom_T
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 7 2016, 03:47 PM) *

But too small to read

Actually, you can find a Folio book on Amazon etc. which is a compendium of all the English articles on the 914 from back in the day. Get one & read up on the period & some later look-back reviews.

BTW - it might help the readability of your posts to change to single spacing, so it's not so spaced out visually (no more disparaging comments to the poor guy from the peanut gallery on the figurative application please - he's asking some legit questions).

The 914 was the entry level Porsche, replacing the 912 in that role due to it's ever increasing cost to produce a /4 ~ 911 bodied car - plus it had the disadvantage of being confusing to market an entry level Porsche which looked exactly like a higher end 911 - more or less.

However, they were trying to bring their mid-engined racing technology & better handling & performance to a relatively affordable street car .... and they'd known that mid-engined was superior for handling since before Porsche came about in Ferry Porsche's Auto Union & other 1930's racers, plus they originally designed the 356 in 356-1 as a mid-engined car, but changed to a tail-dragger to simplify the use of VW drivetrains/parts & to keep cost more modest.

With 4 wheel disc brakes, EFI, mid-engined, 5 speed, well balanced suspension with a wider track than the 911 - the 914 really was a better & more advanced sports car in its day, than were the competing offerings from England, Italy, etc. - even though the "VW version" 1.7L /4 was weak, but that changed in 73 MY with the introduction of the 2.0L /4. Unfortunately the price of the /6 being too close to the 911T ran it out of the market by 72 MY (see below), & the much better side-shift trans didn't appear until 73 MY.

The 240Z (Datsun), MGB, TR6 & TR7 (later), Healy 6 (vs. 914-6 only), Fiat 124 Spyder, Alpha Spyder, Lancia, the later Fiat X/19, & a few others were the primary direct competitors to the 914s back in the day, & I looked at & evaluated them all before I went hunting for my used 914 after finishing college & landing good job in 1975 - with the 914 winning the very close race for me with the 240Z due to better retained value on used cars at 3-5 years (MGB, TR6, 124 & Alpha were close behind for me - but the 73-74 914-2.0 won out in my mind, with the then new 75 & &6 914-2.0 lagging due to smog stifled power loss).

If you look at the various magazine ads of the day back then, they were touting it's versatility & wide range of uses with their "Snow Porsche," "Sun Porsche," "Rain Porsche," etc. glossy ads - as well as it's luggage carrying capacity (16 CF & = to most sedans then & now), mid-engine layout & other advancements. So the 914s were really marketed as an all around car which you could race or cruise with on the weekend, & even comfortably accommodate a 3rd person (the 911/912 rear "seats" are a joke).

BTW - you can buy good quality cut-outs from magazines examples of those ads on evil-bay for $5-10 from the non-gouging vendors, if your interested - & some post pix in their listings which are actually readable upon enlargement, FYI.

For me, in 1975 I was looking at both new & used 914-2.0s (& a couple of used 72 914/4 1.7) to replace my monstrous 1969 Pontiac Ventura 4dr. 400 ci V8 2 bbl. AT gas-guzzler (a Catalina full size, formerly my parents' car) - as my economical, reliable & fun sports car for a young guy just out of college, to serve as my DD for about 10 years (75-85 & would've been longer except for the unfortunate accident which garaged her in May 75). In addition to driving to work sometimes (otherwise fair weather biking for physical training for my Rugby), & driving to everything else, including: beach cruising/body surfing, snow skiing/XC, biking, camping (tent), Rugby practice, matches & tournaments, flying lessons & flights, meals out & dates (courted both ex & current wives in my 914), long & short vacations, our "Private Calif-Mille Rally" with buddies in other sports cars on PCH Coast 1 to/from SD>SFO every summer, grocery store, Xmas tree shopping, etc., etc. for about 1427,000 miles fo fun!
driving.gif biggrin.gif

In fact, the 914 saved Porsche's bacon with it's almost 119,000 sold in just 5.5 MYs - more than ALL production Porsches in the prior decade or two (just as the Cayenne saved Porsche in recent years- yet another VW-Porsche JV) - with very respectable sales above 20,000/MY in 73 & 74 when they finally perfected the 914/4 & prior to the other factors below really took hold (27,000-ish in 73 & 24,000-ish in 74 IIRC) - again a multiple of ALL other Porsches sold in those 2 MYs.

I think that alone is a successful sports car from a then very small company by any measure - despite the uninformed BS put out by some auto media journalists looking to grab headlines with minimal research - then & now!

Plus, both the 914-6 & /4 were very successful in both pro & amateur sports racing - even without the level of factory race support & privateering which the vaunted but poorer handling 911s got. IMHO, with the same top engine/driveline & suspension/brakes, tires/wheels, etc. as a 911 at any level (911T, E, S, Carrera, RS, etc.) - the 914 would outperform the 911s - just as we're finally seeing with the GTS flavor of the Boxster/Cayman middies of today.

And I'm not sure that I'd agree that the 944 is better handling than a 914 - if both were provided equal power-to-weight, suspension set-up, tires, etc., but let's leave that for another topic.

I believe that Porsche thought the 914 would last longer in production than it did, but several things conspired against that, including in no particular order:

A. VW & Porsche were looking for a two-fer from the 914 - to both replace the Ghia & 912, with a much better performing car than the Ghia, & equal to the 912, if not beeter - especially in handling. It was also a platform to incorporate all the new VW & Porsche innovations, such as EFI instead of Carbs from VWs 411/412 cars for the 4-banger 914s, the mid-engine layout from Porsche's vaunted racers 550 to 917 & their 5-speed transaxle from the 911/912-optional 901 (Ghia was 4-spd.) + 4 wheels disc brakes (Ghias were disc front only), etc. - then end up with 2 cars to market - 1 for each brand.

Unfortunately, they did a poor job of differentiating the 2 versions, other than a VW-Porsche badge on 914/4s for most of the rest of the world - & 60% of both /4 & /6 were sold in the US/Canada with both as Porsche brand, then only internal mechanical differences of the cars by engine, 4 vs 5 lug, etc. This was far less than the way they differentiate the Touareg & Cayenne with different grills, lighting, styling of windows & body panels, etc. - in addition to the mechanical differences - so they've leaned their lesson from the 914.

However, the original JV between Porsche & VW got all screwed up when the VW chair died & their verbal agreement on pricing for 914-6 shells from VWs Karmann Plant got jacked-up to full cost + profit by the new VW Chairman - contrary to the agreement to a lower set price based on the fact that Porsche sunk most of the design & engineering costs in return for a set price, which resulted in the 914-6 cost being too close to the 911-T's with the bigger 2.2L motor.

Porsche eventually took over the JV as sole owner & bought out VW by 74, but the damage to the 914-6 was already done, & they backed away from the 916 concept of an upscale 914-6, because again it was deemed too close to the 911 line-up.

Oddly enough, Porsche also stopped the US/Canada marketing campaign of the `73 914-2.0 as a "914S" (but didn't stop it in Japan nor the 914SC in the UK) due to complaints from some USA 911 owners & PCA members about that somehow demeaning their vaunted 911S (now the "S" appendage is widely used on ALL Porsches & I doubt it would happen that way today). More odd is that Porsche hadn't even intended initially to badge the 2.0 any differently from the 1.7L (i.e.: the 1.7 & 2.0 badges were an afterthought), which presented a marketing & model differentiation dilemma here where they were both sold as pure Porsches (in RoW the 1.7, 1.8 & 2.0 remained a VW-Porsche). Ergo, the early production 914s will have stamped holes for the 914 rear badge, with the 1.7 or 2.0 badge mounting holes drilled into the rear face panel! So things weren't always cmpletely thought through by Porsche brass, nor between the worldwide branches.

The 914-6 was powered a 2.0L from the prior 63-69 MY gen 911 series, but detuned from the 125 HP of the 69 911T - to only 110 HP - again, for a differentiation between the models, but too many buyers opted up to the 2.2L 135 HP 911T (70-72) for a few hundred more + better interior finishes, 5 gauges, more cachet & sex appeal, etc. - thereby stifling 914-6 sales to only about 3000 - even if it were the far better handling car, lacking the tail-dragger 911's nack for biting your butt in turns by an inexpert driver!

Remember that VW-Porsche marketed the 914/4 everywhere else outside of North America as their own car, so it wasn't a RoW VW-Porsche option until 73/74 MY to have the hotter 2.0L /4, but they never gave up on the Ghias in both forms at the same time, so their sales of 914/4's were cut into as well, given their price differences. In North America both the /4 & /6 flavors were successfully marketed as Porsches, & the US accounted for about 60% of worldwide sales of all Porsches - including 914s separately, & about 60% of the US sales were in California back then. So about 36-40% off all Porsches & 914s worldwide came to California.

B. The West German Mark (DM) exchange rate went crazy high vs. the US Dollar in the 1970's - largely due to Nixon taking the dollar of the Gold backing system, as well as economic downturns in the US during the mid 70's & the first Oil Crisis - so that pricing made the pricing issues on the 914s vs both 911s & other competing sports cars worse, since the Brit & Italian & Japanese could deliver more car for less money.

For example, during the 73 MY alone - the fully equipped with Appearance & Performance Groups of options early marketed as "914S" 914-2.0s went from about $5200 - up to about $7000 in just 12 months - largely due to the DM > $ exchange rates! blink.gif

Porsche attempted to offset this by pulling the "included" App. & Perf. Group options off & making them at extra cost for 74>, & by decontenting the cars with lower cost & lesser quality upholstery (heat seamed bolsters in seat bottoms/backs - instead of sewn), substituting plastic for metal parts (door sills, black button guages with plastic instead of glass lenses, etc.). By the 2nd half of the 73 MY they were also offering a "Sport" version of the 914-2.0 with sway bars & 2L Fuchs, but otherwise with little or no options (e.g.: see Dave K's orange example).

C. The body styling was too ahead of it's time & too much of a departure from the roundy 356 & 911/912 design for many in the Porsche world, so they either loved it or hated it ... but some learned to love or at least appreciate it's unique styling. In later years it was largely seen as a nice "modern" reinterpretation of the classic 911/912/356 light in fender styling - just pinched in a bit, which still allowed for that low front face/hood line for road visibility as with the others. Today, all but the 911 hardliners see the 914 styling as pleasant, if not great.

D. Smog, smog & smog ... the rules ruined the 914's run in several ways: by 73 MY the 914-1.7 in CA fitment was drained to just 69 HP form the original 70 MY's 80; then in 75 MY the crapalytic converters (& early ones were crappy) sapped the 2.0 from 95 HP to just 86 (91 to 81 in SAE terms) - so the 914/4s became ever more hum-drum performers enginewise, but this affected all sports cars by all mfgrs. equally; then there was the scare that Porsche (& VW) wouldn't be able to continue to meet ever increasing smog limits (& some proposed that didn't happen until much later).

E. The 924 project which Porsche also designed for VW to use their Audi water-cooled I-4 as yet another sporty option was abandoned by VW, then taken over in response to their above noted fears of needing to switch to water-cooled engines exclusively. This fear also spawned the 944/968 iterations, as well as the V8 928 as an intended 911 replacement - but the 911 aircooled H6s soldiered on until the early 90's, with the 928 never replacing them, but instead marketed as an upscale GT.

F. Unfortunately, the above meant that the 914 was booted from the Karmann plant to build the 924's for the 77 MY, so after Dec 75 the 914 had no home & all 76 MYs were actually built in 75 - even if there had been improvements to the 914 to keep it viable & market support to buy it past 76.

So a botched & eventually aborted VW-Porsche JV, money exchange rate induced pricing problems, smog controls & concerns, newer water-cooled models, & a lost factory, & a few others all co-conspired to kill off our beloved 914s.

But now early aircooled 356, 911, 912, 930 models are sky high pricing, the 914 has gained respect as a great handling street/AX/racer, & it's being rediscovered - often by former owners who got a 914 while they lusted for - & saved up for a 911, who now want to get their old 914 back or a substitute, so the 914 prices are going up again, with the 914-6 leading the way - more due to limited numbers than better performance, since you can tweak a 2.0 to perform better than a stock 914-6, without the weight penalty of the extra 2 cylinders.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

PanelBilly
I wonder how we would see the cars today if they were never badged or marketed by Porsche. If they had always been seen as a VW would they have been more successful?

Wait
Was this thought to complete for this thread. Should it have read

What would be if it was not the same ??!
brant
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Jan 7 2016, 10:03 PM) *

Maybe this'll help.
We bought a brand new 1970 914-4 just as soon as we could when they first came out. Got rid of an Impala and a Beetle to do it and settled on a '49 Jeepster as its stablemate for our second car as newlyweds.
Here's why. I'd wanted a sports car for a while after having owned both '54 and '55 Corvettes. The 914 was affordable, technologically advanced with its mid-engine layout, economical, had plenty of trunk space, a removable top and, maybe as important as all that, was the only sports car my 6'3" body could fit in with the seat up a notch from full back. And it looked "different" in a clean and classy way.
One year and about 30,000 miles later, the dealership talked me out of it during a dock strike when they didn't even have a demonstrator or one to put in the showroom. I looked at a used '69 911E first and almost bought it. Then they showed me three brand new 914-6s way in the back of the garage they hadn't been able to move. All the original decision points plus a power boost made the choice easy. 45 years and about 90,000 miles later we've completed the latest cosmetic refurbishment and a 2,300 mile shakedown cruise, the first of four bucket list drives to all four corners of the continental U.S. Next one comes up in May and might even include the WCR.

you need to bring that car out to the RRC 2016 in ridgeway!!!
Tom_T
As for "Weather Porsche" & the hell hole rust issue - yes, it was mostly the battery acid/fumes combining with water issue that caused the rust - otherwise both sides would always have about equal rust issues in the longs.

All the /4s had rain trays which helped reduce the rain/rust problems above, but the early 70-73 design would warp in the heat, then allow water to pour over the front edge & onto the heat/insulation pad on the firewall & rust behind it due to the held in water in the pad (DON'T ask me how I know dry.gif ).

They also injected plastic filler in body cavities for sound attenuation - & get this - rust prevention, which only served to hold water to help the rust! Live & learn I guess for both Porsche owners, & the company & their dealers! sad.gif

And since they didn't start hot dipping the raw body shells in zinc rust prevention treatments until the 1976 production year (last 914 was built Dec.75), the natural occurrence was rust .... eventually, if not sooner (mine started top-side rust bubbles in 76, being a beach-close home). However, it's not really any more nor less of a problem than with pre-76 911/912/356/etc. steel bodied Porsches, nor any other Euro, Japanese nor 'Murican cars of the ere without rust treated bodies.

So it was more an ad to say that you didn't have to garage your 914 if it rained, as some of the Italian garage queens, etc. Maybe also a bit of - hey, it's our cheapest entry model, so it's disposable & we'll sell you another 9xx in a few years anyway!? confused24.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
EdwardBlume
Geez Tom. You should think about writing a book!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 8 2016, 01:19 PM) *

Geez Tom. You should think about writing a book!

agree.gif

I would buy it. It would have less errors than Dr. Johnson's book.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 8 2016, 01:14 PM) *

That would be so cool.

Brant - remember when Jim brought his 1971 Irish Green real /6 to RRC 2013?

Click to view attachment
thelogo
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 8 2016, 11:54 AM) *

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

He'll ya Tom t

Your the man
Shredhead
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 7 2016, 07:54 PM) *

Great insight man

Don't forget the Super Porsche.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jan 8 2016, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jan 8 2016, 01:14 PM) *

That would be so cool.

Brant - remember when Jim brought his 1971 Irish Green real /6 to RRC 2013?

Click to view attachment

Wow. That car is a stunner!
horizontally-opposed
I don't know how anyone can look at this 914 from this angle (and some others) and state that the design isn't fabulous.

It took me a long time to get there, but I now see so many of the great angles on the 914, and can tolerate its few awkward angles. Is it pretty from any angle in the way that the 911 is? No, but I've come to appreciate the 914's shape anyway. The 914 is nothing if not form following function, perhaps in a purer way than any other Porsche road car.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 8 2016, 03:29 PM) *

Wow. That car is a stunner!

Rob - that car was the best example I have ever seen. 100 point in every way. It had 15" Fuchs on it but has a set of 14" as well.

Click to view attachment
thelogo
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Jan 7 2016, 09:03 PM)

. Still more fun to drive than just look at.

Call me crazy and in no way is this meant to be disrespectful

But isnt this green /6 to nice to drive

As in it should be behind glass somewhere

I know Thats not what these cars are all about

But don't you worry about it when out in public or on the road

, I got into my 914 so cheap that if something were to happen I'd be ok . I still love the car like it's priceless
And i try to drive it as often and aggressive as possible

But it's not actually as valuable as other examples

( this green /6 )

Chrome don't get you home ???

What the he'll does that mean .

I've got black bumpers and would kill for chrome ones
Might be the single most appearance improvement mod
Along with wheels
RARE 6

[/quote]. Still more fun to drive than just look at.

Call me crazy and in no way is this meant to be disrespectful

But isnt this green /6 to nice to drive

As in it should be behind glass somewhere

I know Thats not what these cars are all about

But don't you worry about it when out in public or on the road

, I got into my 914 so cheap that if something were to happen I'd be ok . I still love the car like it's priceless
And i try to drive it as often and aggressive as possible

But it's not actually as valuable as other examples

( this green /6 )

Back in '79-'80 we had it stripped and repainted to a very high standard at a shop near Aspen, then hauled it back our then home in Evergreen (near Denver) to reinstall the drivetrain. The next time the painter saw it, we were headed to the track at Woody Creek for PCA drivers ed.
"If you're going to do that with it, why'd you have me do what I did?", the painter whined.
"Merle,", I replied, "these things are cars. People shouldn't make bookends out of 'em."
Three days later we left it with him to fix a lower panel after I lowered it down on a jackstand.
Worst times in 45 years of ownership were the two extended periods when it just sat in the garage. Dollar values are just data points. To each his (or her) own, but I'll never understand relegating something with so much soul that has provided so many good times to a ledger sheet or a spot "behind glass."
We treasure all the memories our -6 has provided over the last 90,000 miles. Best future would be to put another 90,000 on it.
Bulldog9
WTF.gif First Troll I've seen in 914 world.
Hank914
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jan 9 2016, 12:15 AM) *

WTF.gif

Why is that comment a troll comment? Because you disagree?

Some people like to over clean their trailer queens for Concours events. Others like to work on them when up on jack stands. I have no problem with those types.

Other types like to stare at them " from behind glass" while they drive them. A troll? By what definition? confused24.gif

driving.gif And quite happy piratenanner.gif to be driving driving.gif my Weather 914 today after I go buy some snow chains just in case.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jan 9 2016, 03:15 AM) *

Not the first, Steve. Several of us were labeled as trolls by a&p girl.

Btw, what poster were you referring to? I saw nothing wrong with what rare 6 posted.
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Built in '69,with a six,the nine fourteen.
Plain to see in this drawing what their intentions were.
They placed the engine in front of the axle for improved weight distribution.
To win the class in France,at the LeMans 24Hr,first time out.
A success that boosted overall sales of the brand,so too did the 917 overall win.
They have continued to think of these objectives since,effectively.
smile.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrGixSa0AcU
---> 0:21,0:45,0:54,1:08..spot the winner.

More 917: smile.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9XCEM4S2yY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

Erwin Kremer drove the 911 that placed 7th behind the 914.
http://www.kremer-racing.eu/
ripper911
They just wanted to beat Mazda to building the first miata.

As a side note... My auto-correct changed miata to mistake. av-943.gif
Bulldog9
My "Troll" comment was directed at the OP........... IMO, the tone and responses are.

I see LOTS of discussion, differing opinions on 914 world, but little of what feels trollish. This guy just does.

Hank914
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jan 9 2016, 08:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jan 9 2016, 12:15 AM) *

WTF.gif

Why is that comment a troll comment? Because you disagree?

Some people like to over clean their trailer queens for Concours events. Others like to work on them when up on jack stands. I have no problem with those types.

Other types like to stare at them " from behind glass" while they drive them. A troll? By what definition? confused24.gif

driving.gif And quite happy piratenanner.gif to be driving driving.gif my Weather 914 today after I go buy some snow chains just in case.

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks for clarifying Steve. wacko.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Jan 9 2016, 12:49 PM) *

My "Troll" comment was directed at the OP........... IMO, the tone and responses are.

I see LOTS of discussion, differing opinions on 914 world, but little of what feels trollish. This guy just does.

Lotta crying and whineing for a grow man .......

But I guess someone s gotta be the wolf and someone gotta be the sheep sheeplove.gif

"Do you know who the he'll I am " ty Cobb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.