Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halon or ABC?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve Thacker
Hey fellas,
I'm in need of advice. I want to put in another safety device to protect my investment. This is of course for gas fire suppression. Should I go with the regular ABC unit or Halon? Thoughts, suggestions or Steve go piss up a tree are welcome. laugh.gif
Steve Thacker
Bump
redshift
I use gasoline.

M
Duffster
ABC is fine, unless you ever want to start the engine after a discharge of the system. Might look at some of the AFFF systems. You can get'em recharged at fire house supply, and you won't have a bunch of people dancing around your car singing about ozone destruction. There is a non-ozone depleting halon congener that is supposed to be coming out, but I really don't know much about it.
kermit
Definately go with halon. Its more expensive to buy, but you'll save so much money if you ever need to use it.

I bought this one, reconditioned:
http://www.h3r.com/products/355_hv.htm

$120 for a 10BC unit is a steal. It even comes with a metal mounting bracket. This is racing size, if its just for your personal use, you may want to consider getting something a little smaller.

Good luck
KaptKaos
Halon was the choice for computer data centers for years as it did not effect electrical wiring. However, I think that in CA it is illegal to sell now. You can service and update existing systems, but no new systems can be installed. I may be wrong, but I would check your state laws on halon before making a choice.

Regardless, halon is dangerous stuff. It removes O2 from the area, so please be careful with it.
smooth_eddy
Halon =no mess. ABC = big mess. Should be a no brainer. Eddy
Seagrave
Having put out a fire or two in my time (fortunately NOT in the teener) I would definately recommend Halon. It is effective and it is clean. Good stuff (and don't even start with me about global warming...)
bare 1
CO2 No mess No hazards Only problem is I've never seen one that was small enough to be practical in a car, particularly a teener. But that doesn't mean they don't exist. Also refillable. And my understanding is if you use one to put out a car fire on the road, the FD will refill it for free, at least in this neck a the woods. I've never had the opportunity to test that though.
Steve Thacker
This starting to be a no-brainer as predicted for some of you who have BTDT.

Of course Miles idea brings back fond memories of the weenie roast I had with
my old fiat X/19 one morning on my way to work. I'm not going though that again. I literaly sat down on the curb and sobbed, as my cherry car finished napalming itself into the pavement.

I have included some links below for your thoughts. I really like the one that has a pull cord, but my next question is where in the hell do you mount it in the car? It looks too big for inside the cockpit. could it be mounted onn the engine bay firewall and all I would have to do is drill a small hole for the trigger?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33722

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7500992741&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7500362958&rd=1

anthony
FWIW, if you use a Halon extinguisher for Golden Gate region time trials it needs to be at least 5lbs.

Here's a good extinguisher for $30:

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=FES

It uses siliconized Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) which is easy to clean up. IMO, cleanup is the least of your worries if you car catches on fire.
GWN7
You would have to email the seller and ask it the cable assembly/handle comes off. That way you could route the cable easy into the cabin. Possibly thru the center consol or just above it and mount the handle just below the shifter. Drop your hand down off the shifter, pull the safety clip and pull the handle. Ask how long the cable is.

As to mounting, if it dosen't come with a bracket (clamp type) you should be able to pick one up at any fire supply store. Again ask the seller if it has one. Most new units come with one. Mount it anywhere in the engine bay, that it is out of the way when you work on the engine.

A 5 lbs. unit should cover about 210 Cu. Ft.

I just sold one (6 lbs unit) and it came with the bracket and the cable assembly did come off to for routeing, but it was a different make/model than the one your looking at.
Steve Thacker
Many Thanks Bruce. I'll get right on it and ask the seller all the specifics.
kermit
Halon and the environment - I learned a little about this from reading the info on the website link I posted earlier.

Basically, creating NEW halon is banned, but there is a LOT of existing halon sitting around. What do you do with it? Well, you use up the remaining inventory, which is totally legal. So I wouldn't feel bad about using Halon at all.

Besides, what is worse, a bit of ozone depleting gas or a burning car, gasoline, foam, and rubber giving off all kinds of interesting pollutants?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.