Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: went british tonite!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
bought a 66 triumph bonneville tonite in a basket case that a guy needed to unload in a hurry, clean title, 12k original miles. Bike is allllll in pieces, cases split etc, all kinds of new pieces cams etc.. Luckily my dad is the triumph motorcycle guru and has about three of everything. Im guessing when the 914 gets done ill start poking at this thing making a "salt flat" kind of triumph ive always wanted, kinda hot rod looking thing. Ill post pics when i take some, forgot the camera tonite. Tally Ho! wavey.gif
Steve Thacker
Dan you had me excited there for a minute. I thought you met a little British lass, who showed you her golfball through a garden hose trick. laugh.gif
TheCabinetmaker
650 british twins wub.gif Put lots o miles on a bonneville. Worked at a bike shop in Del Rio Tx, in the late 60's. My fav was the BSA 441 Victor. Man, that was some one lunger torque. Wheelies thru three gears. Dylan and Arlo both rode Bonnies.
jim912928
Very cool!!!!! Hey...and it matches your 914!....british bikes have a tendency not to keep all their oil within their cases!...how do I know...I also owned a Triumph Bonneville and one of the single cylinder BSA thumpers! Had alot of jeans with big oil stains on the legs!
FriarJohn
Sweet! aktion035.gif
KaptKaos
I am not sure I have the lingo correct, but I think that 66s are pre-unit or something like that??? Basically, the engine and tranny are one case. IS that what you have? Regardless, I love those euro bikes from that era. Just classic. Now if I could find me an earles fork BMW for a reasonable price, I'd be happy.
TheCabinetmaker
Pre unit construction (pre 65) had the transmission in a seperate case from the engine. They were also magneto ingnition
KaptKaos
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 16 2005, 08:59 PM)
Pre unit construction (pre 65) had the transmission in a seperate case from the engine. They were also magneto ingnition

AH, so i had it bassackwards and was off a year. Seems to be a premium for the pre-unit models tho. Regardless, i love those bonnies.
Steve Thacker
1st bike I ever owned was the BSA 650 Rocket, super fast. Really miss that bike.
Congrats on the Bonneville. Nice father son project for certain. aktion035.gif
Seagrave
Used to race a BSA twin on AMA dirt track (early 70's). Back during the tech boom I saw this 66 Bonnie for sale and couldn't resist. Pretty much illegal but I just tootle on it for fun around the neighborhood...much to their consternation. Typically British...it leaks. Sounds wonderful though with those straight pipes.
xsboost90
yeah its a single unit w/ the trans in the same case as the crank. It should be pretty cool someday, the guy gave me tons of newstuff that he had been buying for it to restore, but i guess i have to hold off buying anything else until the teener is done... dry.gif
jasons
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Mar 16 2005, 06:17 PM)
Luckily my dad is the triumph motorcycle guru and has about three of everything.

I suppose he has three sets of tools to work on it too? Usually you find some bastard mix of metric, SAE, and whitworth fasteners. BTW British bikes always have pretty engine cases.
Joe Bob
Anyone remember what BSA stands for?

Birmingham Small Arms Association
Steve Thacker
I don't remember, been too long

xsboost90
bike in a box..er... a room.
xsboost90
theres most of my parts....cant wait to start checking the longs for rust....i mean, putting it together, damn aircoolers, their all the same.
r_towle
your gonna need this web site...save it...its the best I could find (I have two a 76 and a 78 bonny)

British Cycle Supply

Rich
xsboost90
thanks for the link. Actually i have alot of hookups locally to get stuff from, DomiRacer is just right down the road, they supply alot of parts for british motorcycles, Jay Leno actually comes here a few times a year to get stuff from them.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ Mar 17 2005, 08:20 AM)
I don't remember, been too long

Birmingham Small Arms Association
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.