Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jones
Disconnect the CV joints from the stub axles. It takes a special 12 mm serrated socket but careful use of an appropriately sized allen wrench can do the job.

As taken from engine drop procedure. Do I ask my FLAPS counter guy for a 12 mm serrated socket, is that the correct lingo? Do I need to go to a more specialized source? Thanks beerchug.gif
Joe Bob
Triple square
iiibdsiil
8 mm tripple square, I think.
Teknon
Yeah, It's a 8mm triple square. $4 at NAPA smoke.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Teknon @ Mar 16 2005, 07:39 PM)
Yeah, It's a 8mm triple square. $4 at NAPA smoke.gif

YUP that's what ya need. I put a 8mm box wrench on it and works great for breaking them loose.
Better order your new bolts and serrated washers and cv joint gaskets now so they will be ready to go in when the motor is done.
Dave_Darling
First, check the bolts on your car. Some people have upgraded them with standard Allen-head (hex-shaped hole) bolts. See if you can get an eyeball on the bolts on the outer CV joints, while you're at it. And look at the three bolts that hold the cooling fan onto the fan hub. Those are the three locations that I know of that can use M8 triple square bolts on 914s. If you don't have any in any of those, skip buying the tool.

Note: You may need to clean out the socket in the head of the bolt to really tell which kind of bolt it is!! Bring along some carb cleaner and a rag when you check.

As mentioned, you can get the tool from your parts place--or stop into anywhere they know VW Bugs and ask for "the CV joint socket". Bugs used the same fasteners as us--so did early 911s, for that matter.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.