Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Location - Carb Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
Looking for any information about location of the fuel pump for a carb converted 914. Under the gas tank I assume since a low pressure pump needs good head pressure to operate correctly. With that said is there a preferred pump to use. What tubing/hose is everyone using for transiting the tunnel. Braided or a thick walled high pressure rubber fuel line. I've looked for threads within the site but didn't find any although I'm still learning the site. Any help is appreciated
LowBridge
I have stainless steel line and this pump located in the same place as the original fuel pump below the tank.

Facet fuel pump
SirAndy
Do yourself a favor and get a rotary pump. The facet pumps are noisy as hell.

I used this one on my 2056:
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=3193

IPB Image

Also, there is no real need to relocate it, you can run it in the stock location using the stock wires:
http://www.914world.com/specs/SirAndyCarbFuelPumpRelay.php

As for the fuel lines, i'm running the CFR stainless lines through the tunnel. They're a good upgrade over the stock plastic lines.
I would also advise to leave the return line connected, it will help keeping your fuel cooler.

bye1.gif
jmill
Rotary pump is internally regulated and pumps way more volume than the clicky pump. Also it's better to have the pump close to the tank so the lines are under pressure, not vacuum. With SS lines it's not a big deal but with flex lines they could suck closed and reduce volume.
somd914
Concur with Sir Andy and jmill. I run this pump and have it located under the fuel tank.
screenguy914
I've used an Airtex E8016S fuel pump (2.5-4 psi) in my 911 for over 20 years. Never missed a beat. Available most anywhere ($15-$51). Price disparity seems to be the result of licensing manufacture to other sources.

E.g.: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&a...6S&_sacat=0
Click to view attachment

When mounted near the gas tank, normal system pressure drop results in 3-3.5psi at the carbs.

Careful, Airtex makes several versions of this pump type with different pressure specs.

Sherwood
914Bryan
Buy the whole kit from Tangerine Racing and be done with it. From tank to carbs, his kits are inexpensive and get the job done right. The pump is quiet too.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm
dlee6204
The fuel pump from CB performance is just a Carter fuel pump. You can save some money...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p60504/overview/
boxsterfan
I bought a Bosch 69133 2-port pump for my 74 2.0L. I'll be running this pump when she gets rebuit to a 2270L. I'm putting my pump on the firewall in the engine bay as a few others have done here. I have the SS lines in the tunnel.

The pump up front under the tank is a real PITA if you ask me.
Elliot Cannon
I have had this same pump on my car for 12 years. It has ALWAYS been mounted where you see it in the bottom of this picture. Never had a problem with low head pressure. Never had a vapor lock problem with this 3psi pump. It feeds a 2.2 liter type IV with 44idf Webers. YMMV biggrin.gif
patssle
I have the same CB rotary pump in the front - I put it in front of the tank wall for easy access and just route the fuel lines through the hole.
LowBridge
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2016, 06:04 PM) *

The facet pumps are noisy as hell.

haha... that is an understatement if I have every read one... aktion035.gif
EdwardBlume
I'm using the pump above as well. On installation, don't over tighten the clamp or you can ruin the pump.
Mark Henry
For a low pressure carb pump it doesn't matter as much, but for FI I would mount the pump close to the engine. IMHO you want the high pressure circuit as short as possible.
Logic being there is less potential high pressure failure points.
J P Stein
Sat there & pumped away for 12-15 years.Click to view attachment
jmill
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 11 2016, 10:51 AM) *

Sat there & pumped away for 12-15 years.

Nobody said they didn't work. I just don't like sitting inside an MRI machine. Somewhat surprised that it worked for you. I had a stroked TI engine that suffered fuel starvation with one.
J P Stein
QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 11 2016, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 11 2016, 10:51 AM) *

Sat there & pumped away for 12-15 years.

Nobody said they didn't work. I just don't like sitting inside an MRI machine. Somewhat surprised that it worked for you. I had a stroked TI engine that suffered fuel starvation with one.

Ayup, worked fine as frog hair. No regulator, just a straight shot to the carbs. Noisy till you lit off the engine, then it just kinda blender in with the racket.....no shortage of fuel....ever.
The T-4 short, eh?....right. They are such a high demand engine rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment

Conventional internet wisdom. me thinks. Ya better get something trick
porschetub
X1 on the Carter pump and I didn't pay CB performance money,mounted under the tank onto the my alloy crossmember.
Return capped off at tank and I used the old return line to run wiring for pump to engine compartment.
Replaced pressure line with plated steel brake pipe and late VW Golf plastic hp pipe and ferrals @ connections.....tidy and cheap.
Fitting the replacement hard line from tank into the inside of the car was the hardest part,rest was straight forward.

rhodyguy
Using the return line as a wire conduit was VERY clever.
jmill
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 12 2016, 09:45 AM) *

The T-4 short, eh?....right. They are such a high demand engine rolleyes.gif

Actually it was a Type I. Big difference between drags and autocross. You lift. Doubt you had Chevy 2.02 intake valves either.

02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 10 2016, 08:36 PM) *

I have had this same pump on my car for 12 years. It has ALWAYS been mounted where you see it in the bottom of this picture. Never had a problem with low head pressure. Never had a vapor lock problem with this 3psi pump. It feeds a 2.2 liter type IV with 44idf Webers. YMMV biggrin.gif

you don't have any problems with Vapor lock??? with the install in the stock OEM location??
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Jan 12 2016, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 10 2016, 08:36 PM) *

you don't have any problems with Vapor lock??? with the install in the stock OEM location??

Stock OEM location? I have not idea where that is. av-943.gif
02loftsmoor
OK thank for the help
Gearhead1432
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 10 2016, 04:04 PM) *

Do yourself a favor and get a rotary pump. The facet pumps are noisy as hell.

I used this one on my 2056:
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=3193

IPB Image

Also, there is no real need to relocate it, you can run it in the stock location using the stock wires:
http://www.914world.com/specs/SirAndyCarbFuelPumpRelay.php

As for the fuel lines, i'm running the CFR stainless lines through the tunnel. They're a good upgrade over the stock plastic lines.
I would also advise to leave the return line connected, it will help keeping your fuel cooler.

bye1.gif

What mounting method are you using to secure the pump to the firewall? It looks like people have used a through bolt. However, I'm not sure how that was achieved when I look at the firewall construction.

-Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.