Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: aluminum front cross members
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
givory
... assuming it's installed properly with the back braces...

I've heard several say they they won't put them into a race 914 due to twisting and possible breakage. I installed mine when I rebuilt my vintage racer ... never noticed a problem. Is this one of those misguided myths?
Thanks
Gavin
Jeroen
I've *heard* about them flexing, but not breaking
Don't know if it's true or just another urban legend
brant
Gavin,

everyone talks about them flexing...
but I too have run one for years and noticed NO difference and NO flex difference when I installed it in place of steel.

despite the constant concerns that people have, I'm satisfied that if it is flexing its beyond my ability to notice.

Plus my race shop strongly recommends them and he recommends nothing that is detrimental.

john rogers
I had to use one when I went to the 23mm master cylinder and so far have not noticed any problems. Does it flex? I would imagine so like the rest of the whole car does when I corner with those Goodyear slicks? Does it affect antthing, I don't think so and I trust the alloy more than the steel tube rusting inside over the years.
SirAndy
QUOTE (givory @ Mar 17 2005, 06:34 AM)
Is this one of those misguided myths?

nope. they flex ... i've seen it!

unsure.gif Andy
givory
nope. they flex ... i've seen it!

Andy - could you explain further ... have you seen the flex while the x-member is installed in the car? under driving conditions?

Gavin
machina
what's the weight savings of the aluminum unit anyway?
SirAndy
QUOTE (givory @ Mar 17 2005, 10:37 AM)
Andy - could you explain further ... have you seen the flex while the x-member is installed in the car? under driving conditions?

yes. up on the lift under "i'm sitting in the car moving the steering wheel" conditions ...

alu crossmember, correct tabs bolted on in the back, everything secure and tight.

we were bleeding the brakes and one was sitting in the car (up on the lift) the other one was bleeding the front brakes, moving the steering left/right and you could see it twist, right there ... ohmy.gif

there was nothing wrong with the part, i had driven the car just like that for 2 years+ ...

i got a steel crossmember that same day.
cool.gif Andy

PS: yes, the alu crossmember is lighter than the steel one, but it's just a few pounds and they're as LOW in the car as you can get. the saved weight isn't worth it IMHO ...
Eric_Shea
Andy has a plexiglass firewall biggrin.gif

I was going to go aluminum but I heard the "stories" and decided not to worry about it. I was thinking about this swap for my 911. If there's any place I want weight in my 911 it's there.

Sorry... no valuable info here. confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
I have a "PERFECT" steel one for sale BTW biggrin.gif

Bead blasted to bare metal and (2) coats of POR-15. Came off a clean Cali tub so no rust pock marks etc.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 17 2005, 11:00 AM)
Bead blasted to bare metal and (2) coats of POR-15. Came off a clean Cali tub so no rust pock marks etc.

if it was yellow, i'd buy it from you ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
if it was yellow, i'd buy it from you ...

Hang on... I'll be right back laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
It was off that Yellow tub that Brad had hanging around for a while. Does that count?
John
I just put one in our track car as it came with the rest of the 930 front suspension. When I was bolting it up I could see it flex until I put those rear braces in.

I thought it was strange, but that is how the fund manager wanted it, so in it went. (Can you say BLING?)

BTW, I had the 23mm master cyl installed with the old fabricated steel unit. I just "clearanced" the tube a bit with my FORD tool.

I wonder if the Aluminum one was cheaper to produce than the steel unit..... Why else did all the 911's go that way?

I may be able to convince the "fund manager" to go back to the steel unit with the help of this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.