Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One more - whos' interested in an early relay cover -Correct for the 6? 914.610.111.13
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Others have made the late style relay cover. It's more of a commercial piece as you can use it on the early. The difference is that the firewall changed because of the seat belt mounts and I'm not sure exactly when this occurred. I know for a fact the 75 and 76 have the sloped relay cover, and the 70-72 should be the early. Somewhere in between there was a transition. I think is was 73? So any info for those whit the cars would help.

I made the early as no one else was doing so, being correct for the 6 means that a correct part is desirable for at least a few folks, so it was a worthwhile endeavor.

These will be ready in about 2 weeks.

Good news too for those of you that want the late we are working on them but they will follow about a month later.

So who wants an early?
Mikey914
Here's how it compares to the OEM part. Test fit onto the relay board.
Mikey914
Early VS late. The late style has a slope in it.
JeffBowlsby
Got the large rubber band to go with that? smile.gif
pneuhyde
I had wandered why the cover i procured never seemed to fit on my 74. Good thing I have upgraded to a 72 so I have a cover now, for it.
smile.gif
914Next
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 11 2016, 02:14 AM) *

Others have made the late style relay cover. It's more of a commercial piece as you can use it on the early. The difference is that the firewall changed because of the seat belt mounts and I'm not sure exactly when this occurred. I know for a fact the 75 and 76 have the sloped relay cover, and the 70-72 should be the early. Somewhere in between there was a transition. I think is was 73? So any info for those whit the cars would help.

I made the early as no one else was doing so, being correct for the 6 means that a correct part is desirable for at least a few folks, so it was a worthwhile endeavor.

These will be ready in about 2 weeks.

Good news too for those of you that want the late we are working on them but they will follow about a month later.

So who wants an early?

Mark, my '73 has the later sloped cover. Not sure when they transitioned.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
This is what I had suspected, the cut off was 72.
sbsix
Mark, I'm in for an early one.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 11 2016, 01:48 AM) *

I'm in for one.

Learn something new everyday. shades.gif Show me this rubber binder. Never seen one.. confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
The inertia-reel seat belts were either an option in 72, or switched over partway through the model year. It is therefore most likely that the change to the relay board cover happened somewhere in the 72 model year.

Is this cover suitable for an original Six? I know their relay board is very different from the 914-4 versions; not sure about the sizes and such.

--DD
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 11 2016, 10:44 AM) *

The inertia-reel seat belts were either an option in 72, or switched over partway through the model year. It is therefore most likely that the change to the relay board cover happened somewhere in the 72 model year.

--DD

agree.gif
My early '72 did not have retractable belts and the relay cover had the post and knurled knob.
Mikey914
Anyone go a picture of a 6 board? I would think it may be but not sure.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 11 2016, 08:57 AM) *

I'm in for one.

Learn something new everyday. shades.gif Show me this rubber binder. Never seen one.. confused24.gif

http://c767170.r70.cf2.rackcdn.com/G99970144540.jpg

It fits at the notch in the upper rib of the cover.
fixer34
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 11 2016, 12:11 PM) *

I can go take one if needed. Think I may have my original cover around someplace also.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 11 2016, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 11 2016, 08:57 AM) *

I'm in for one.

http://c767170.r70.cf2.rackcdn.com/G99970144540.jpg

It fits at the notch in the upper rib of the cover.

I'm sure I can make one. Was the original orange?
Mikey914
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 11 2016, 05:06 PM) *

I can go take one if needed. Think I may have my original cover around someplace also.

That would be awesome
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 13 2016, 07:42 AM) *

That would be awesome

My cover is the non angled one and it won't fit without unscrewing the relay board.
Its a pain basically ,my car is a 74 but appears the later angled on is the one I need...confused on this ,can you or others comment?
Would certainly be interested when your start production of them.
Dave_Darling
Your car is mid-72 or later. (Because 74 is after mid-72.) So you have the "inertia-reel" seatbelts--the ones you can pull out and will roll up (in theory!!) when you let go. So you have the modified firewall to make room for those, so you need the late angled cover.

Good enough comment? wink.gif

--DD
pete000
Count me in for one.
fixer34
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 12 2016, 12:42 PM) *

That would be awesome

Sorry for the delay, work has been busy lately.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mikey914
Looks the same to me, all the casting marks look the same.

And yes I will have the early and late, just did the early 1st as I have a customer who needs it.
porschetub
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 15 2016, 01:20 PM) *

Your car is mid-72 or later. (Because 74 is after mid-72.) So you have the "inertia-reel" seatbelts--the ones you can pull out and will roll up (in theory!!) when you let go. So you have the modified firewall to make room for those, so you need the late angled cover.

Good enough comment? wink.gif

--DD

Thanks Dave,so now I know,my car has NOS Repa retractable seatbealts fitted by PO so that makes sense.
Looks like I have a relayboard cover for sale biggrin.gif .

OmaPossu
One for me, please.
Mikey914
These are done,
PMs will be gong out soon.
Mark
Mikey914
Bump to the top as I have a few of these coming together at once.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 12 2016, 02:59 PM) *

Bump to the top as I have a few of these coming together at once.

Add me for a late one,cheers
Mikey914
PMs sent to all that indicated they wanted. These are available now.
catsltd
Please remember me for a late cover,dont have one currently.
Thanks
Mikey914
Thanks will be posting shortly.
Mark
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 13 2016, 01:38 AM) *

Thanks will be posting shortly.
Mark

Still keen? are u sending pm's out soon thanks.
Mikey914
Should have already got one
They are listed here right now

http://www.shop.914rubber.com/Early-style-...m?categoryId=-1
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 28 2016, 08:25 PM) *

Should have already got one
They are listed here right now

Thanks but that's the early one I was after the late one if you have them made.
GaroldShaffer
FYI - The later style sloped covers mid 72 - 74 has the hole in the top of it for the post to come through. The 75 - 76 ones do not have a hole in the top.
Mikey914
Made the early as they are more rare, figured more people would want them for the correct early cars.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 29 2016, 08:25 AM) *

Made the early as they are more rare, figured more people would want them for the correct early cars.

Ok ? but you did mention production of the later ones 1 month after January reason I put my hand up ,cheers.
Mikey914
Thanks,
I have another part most all of us can use that will be on line in days that I bumped up in front of it. Sorry, but I'll bet you may want it too. I do have them cued in, but just delayed a little.

Mark
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 29 2016, 07:20 PM) *

Thanks,
I have another part most all of us can use that will be on line in days that I bumped up in front of it. Sorry, but I'll bet you may want it too. I do have them cued in, but just delayed a little.

Mark

No problem Mark,just checking ,my replacement engine loom has been only today backtracked, thanks.
Mikey914
Late ones being made now! biggrin.gif
jfort
Please put my name on the list.
Mikey914
Early is in stock and available now

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.