Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decisions, Decisions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sharper
Four years ago I decided to get a 914 and do a six conversion. Since that time I've managed to accumulate 3 different 914s and countless numbers of parts but I am no closer to driving a 914 than I was when I started out. My problem is the rust repair and friends who were going to help me disappeared. I'm starting to come to the realization that I'll never get the project completed and am contimplating throwing in the towel and just getting a decent driver. My problem is I have a hard time justifying spending more money considering the amount I already have tied up in cars and parts. Is there any interest out there for the project I already have? Basically I bought 2 complete parts cars ('71 & '72) and a '72 roller. The '72 roller is the only one that has any chance of being saved but it has rust issues; floor pans (old one is cut out already), hell hole (suspention mount is fine), rear trunk, and a little on the "front shelf" (area around the fresh air vents).
rick 918-S
Do you have a garage, a welder, etc.? Don't sweat the small stuff. All projects come to a point when we feel like we should bail. Suck it up and get to work. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif There are 24 hours in a day.
TravisNeff
How close are you on your project? Do you have all the conversion parts, engine etc. Or are you just stockpiling cars? If you have a lot of the conversion parts, I would ditch the tubs you have and look for a decent car to start with. If you have basically rollers, meaning missing interiors etc. that will consume a lot of time and money just making a complete car. Your question - brings more questions..
SirAndy
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 17 2005, 01:02 PM)
All projects come to a point when we feel like we should bail.

agree.gif i hit that point about half way into my (2 year) restauration ...

about the time when i thought about throwing the towel ...

user posted image

user posted image

and i can't even begin to tell you how glad i am i didn't quit ...
it took me 2 years, lots-o-time and $$$, but it was well worth it!
boldblue.gif Andy
i love porsche
keep working on it..sell off what you dont need and buy tools, im on my second year of owning my car, and still havent driven her...its alot of work, but very gratifying, keep on it, you wont be dissapointed

think of it, when you do drive a 914 for the first time, wouldnt it be so much better to think to yourself "i built this!"

that is what keeps me going...im sure you can do it too
jd74914
QUOTE (i love porsche @ Mar 17 2005, 02:40 PM)
keep working on it..sell off what you dont need and buy tools, im on my second year of owning my car, and still havent driven her...its alot of work, but very gratifying, keep on it, you wont be dissapointed

think of it, when you do drive a 914 for the first time, wouldnt it be so much better to think to yourself "i built this!"

that is what keeps me going...im sure you can do it too

agree.gif

I've been working for almost two years on my car, and still am not close to driving it. This summer I am going to finish, because I really want to drive it. Plus, because of the amount of $$ I'm saving to spend on it, I don't have another car to drive (probably the only licensed high school guy without a running car).

All I think about is the fact that when its finished I will have done everything myself, I'll know the ins and outs of the car, and I'll have the coolest car in the parking lot mueba.gif driving.gif
d914
hey, I can't weld worth a sh*t but I have some lower cost alternatives than a p-shop..

Lewis Broyles, Canton area, backyard 914 business with 20 years expirence and PCA tech guy... Get a bid on the hard stuff and on the easy stuff I can help.
Six years of busted knuckles on 914's..

If interested let me know. Also Lewis has a nice roller in primer, partial trade other two, better starting area. Also has extra parts and a lot of knowlege..

NO AFFILIATION, other than he checks my work so I don't end up dead....

Lots of options ...
TheCabinetmaker
You guys are some dedicated mofo's. 2 years and have never driven your 914? My hat is off to you. I go nuts if I can't drive mine for just one week!!! pray.gif Now get back to work! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif smash.gif blowtorch.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif beer3.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif smoke.gif driving.gif
CptTripps
I was there a few weeks ago...ready to just sell everything and buy someone elses 'done' car.

Don't give up...sell off stuff if you want/have to, but it'll be worth it in the end.
redshift
huh.gif

Andy? What kind of wild animal crapped in your car?

Yuck!

M
Gint
Join the club man! You have two choices IMHO.

#1 - Part out you existing collection and take the $$$ and buy the nicest 914 you can afford. In other words, buy someone else's work at will end up being a discount over doing a project yourself. Ask me how I know. wink.gif

#2 - Hunker down and get to work on your project. Keep it simple and learn as you go. STOP buying more parts cars. It's an endless circle.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (Gint @ Mar 17 2005, 10:38 PM)
STOP buying more parts cars. .

ohmy.gif chairfall.gif
porsha916
I have 10 914's, 3 on the road, all are projects(because I want to make improvements to all of them), I think I am addicted smilie_pokal.gif My idea is: do something on the car everyday (restore/prepare parts, plan, strip paint, sell/trade unneeded parts,and talk to someone who has done it before). When your driving it, you will have a great car!!!
Take Care Bill
sanglee007
Don't feel bad.

I've owned the title to my 76 for 3ish years now. Drove it around the block once, and up the driveway twice.

I'm in the process of selling it, but made the mistake of starting it up. Plugged in the battery and it fired up on the 2nd crank. It hadn't been run since last aug/sept.

Got a free parts car from Trekkor, never had time to work on it or slice anything good from it. Gave it back.

I have a 92 Miata that starts every time, and goes where I point it.
I have a 92 Civic Hatchback that's too damn practical.

I don't need a 76 914 that I'll have to smog forever.

btw. I just bought some used tires for it, so I could get it running and maybe drive it around the block again.

hmmm...doesn't feel like I'm selling my car, does it? but I am...kinda...sorta...maybe.

I just need a presmog roller, so I can join the endless cycle of 914 ownership!

Sang
sharper
Alright, thanks for all the encouragement. I think I just need to suck it up and get to work. I can borrow a welder from a friend so I just need to learn how to use it. I've got most all of the replacement sheet metal I need or can cut it out of the parts car. I already have the six cylinder engine and most everything needed to do the conversion.

Greg D, thanks for the offer and information. I'm right on the Canton/Woodstock line so I may check in with Lewis. Can you send me contact information for him? My email is sharper410@comcast.net

Thanks!
RON S.
QUOTE (sharper @ Mar 17 2005, 12:49 PM)
Four years ago I decided to get a 914 and do a six conversion. Since that time I've managed to accumulate 3 different 914s and countless numbers of parts but I am no closer to driving a 914 than I was when I started out. My problem is the rust repair and friends who were going to help me disappeared. I'm starting to come to the realization that I'll never get the project completed and am contimplating throwing in the towel and just getting a decent driver. My problem is I have a hard time justifying spending more money considering the amount I already have tied up in cars and parts. Is there any interest out there for the project I already have? Basically I bought 2 complete parts cars ('71 & '72) and a '72 roller. The '72 roller is the only one that has any chance of being saved but it has rust issues; floor pans (old one is cut out already), hell hole (suspention mount is fine), rear trunk, and a little on the "front shelf" (area around the fresh air vents).

Four Years? huh.gif Take a look at the pic.I've been in to mine now for 7 wacko.gif wacko.gif ,and for probably about 15k. by now.

It still! ohmy.gif doesn't move.It's close,but it is still just a garage queen.Point is,if it's worth having,ya gotta see it to the end.Most of us here all have a 914 project horror story to tell.

I just keep telling myself that a winner never quits,and a quitter never wins.

Ron
Root_Werks
Keep at it man, you will make progress. Take projects like this in small chunks. Do the engine bay, then the front trunk, rear trunk ect. Each time you finish something, ahhhhh, one down...... clap.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Get to it! biggrin.gif welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.