Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0L exhaust advice...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
I'd like to replace my current Bursch exhaust with an original factory unit. Is there a difference between the current Dansk units that are available and the original Leistritz units? Do they sound different.....is one better than another? Are the original Leistritz units like hen's-teeth to find? Any advice would be helpful.
r_towle
Well, you won't find the original and the dansk unit is pretty close to original.

You don't say what motor you have, but the 1.7/1.8 muffler can be replaced with a unique vw bus muffler with a reverse tailpipe. The can be found.

The 2.0 liter, buy the dansk.
ndfrigi
Dansk muffler on Larmo63 2.0 engine

Click to view attachment

on my 75 1.8

Leistritz muffler

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Tom_T
Cal,

CORRECTION: Where I say Bursch below - correct that to Bischoff - they were the other OEM banana maker back in the day - Bursch was aftermarket. Sorry for the brain fart! dry.gif

The Dansk is pretty close to the OEM Bursch & Leistritz "Banana" mufflers - with the added nicer looking chrome tailpipe (IMHO) - which you'd have to buy the extra Porsche chrome tailpipe cover piece for that look back in the day.

There are some few Leistritz & Burcsh NOS ones which come up occasionally, & some decent condition used ones which can be restored.

BTW - while you're working on your 2L's exhaust system, also check the HE (factory is NLA & hens teeth), so pressure test your HE's & if rusty or leaking, then look to new SS HE's - which Dansk sells & maybe SSI here in the USA as well (I'm not sure if Dansk bought SSI or just sells their current production).

Used SSIs can also be found around & are usually in good condition, but they too should be pressure checked to make sure there is no exhaust getting into the heated air circuit to the cabin.

Those pix above are of a 1.7/1.8 L Bus muffler 7 not applicable to your 2L (except the 2L Dansk "Banana" pic).

PS - Porsche also offered a freer flowing "Sport" version of the "Banana" by Leistritz & Bursch (only way to tell is the p/n from an old parts catalog, since new ones drop the NLA parts). Occasionally you come across one of those. A few years back I found & bought a Leistriz NOS bsanana FS on here, but I still don't have the p/n to tell if it's a regular or sport flavor - either way it works & looks correct. Otherwise, I was going the Dansk route.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.