Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cleaning locks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I took all my locks off so I could re-key them with just one key instead of the 3 I have now.

I've seen the threads about re-keying them, but I was wondering if I could just remove the wafers and any other removable parts and just soak the parts in Simple Green to really get them clean. I'm talking about putting the barrel (the part the wafers and springs go in) and wafers and springs, either in the barrel or in pieces, in a small container and soaking them.

I was then planning on getting new wafers, making them all the same for the same key, re-lubing them with lithium grease and reassembling everything, then taking them to a locksmith and having just one key made that matches all of them.

Is this the correct procedure? Did I miss anything?

Anybody done this, and can you tell me if there are issues that I'm missing?
mepstein
Just buy a wafer set from tweet and assemble your locks with all the same sequence wafers on the key you want so you have one key for all locks.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Jan 14 2016, 06:56 PM) *

I took all my locks off so I could re-key them with just one key instead of the 3 I have now.

I've seen the threads about re-keying them, but I was wondering if I could just remove the wafers and any other removable parts and just soak the parts in Simple Green to really get them clean. I'm talking about putting the barrel (the part the wafers and springs go in) and wafers and springs, either in the barrel or in pieces, in a small container and soaking them.

I was then planning on getting new wafers, making them all the same for the same key, re-lubing them with lithium grease and reassembling everything, then taking them to a locksmith and having just one key made that matches all of them.

I don't really see an issue with the simple green. I don't believe it is corrosive. As for making locks that are keyed the same...I took one of mine that one of the key's fit and took the wafers from all the others and lined them up to match that lock. The only snag is if you don't have enough of a specific wafer.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Jan 14 2016, 08:56 PM) *

No need to go to a locksmith.
Just use the key that works your ignition as your starting point.
Put one wafer (with spring) after another in a slot until you find the one that does not protrude on either side when the key is inserted.
Repeat with each slot. Note the number on each wafer. BUT .....some are not numbered, for that it's best to compare and make like sets to chose from.
After you have the order established with that cylinder move the sequence of numbered wafers to the next cylinder.
Not too complicated.
914 RZ-1
I forgot to mention that I need to get a new key because mine is about to break. It's pretty worn as well. I'll try to make the wafers match using it, and I hope a locksmith can match it. I've taken a lock to a locksmith before and he was able to make a key, but it was a desk lock, not a 40 year old car lock.
r_towle
Yes to soaking the parts.
For the key, there is a guy who comes to Hershey swap every year and makes keys.
He has all the masters for Porsches.
One of the PA guys may remember him, you can work with him to get the keys sorted out.

Rich
rgalla9146
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 14 2016, 10:34 PM) *

Yes to soaking the parts.
For the key, there is a guy who comes to Hershey swap every year and makes keys.
He has all the masters for Porsches.
One of the PA guys may remember him, you can work with him to get the keys sorted out.

Rich

His name is Tony Euganeo, Locksmith Services 610 461 0519
Dave_Darling
I don't think that Simple Green will harm plastic, but just in case you should remove the seal around the lock cylinder before you soak it.

--DD
bandjoey
IMHO from 10 years in a locksmith shop

1 do not rekey with a worn key. Any respectable locksmith can code cut a new key simply by looking at your worn key. If you have the owners manual the key number is also on the back of the book.
2 Do not use oil or grease on the tumblers. It attracts dirt causing extra wear inside. Dry graphite is available at a lock shop and elsewhere
You can buy new tumblers online from a member here or the samba or a Vdub place These are stock VW parts.
3 old worn springs cause sticking tumblers. Always replace the springs to keep your 914 locks happy locks.

stugray
Simple green will corrode Aluminum but I don't think there is any in the lock mechanisms.

And I was going to make the same comment as bandjoey.
Graphite is the best for locks but should NEVER be used in a lock that has had oil in it previously or it just turns to paste and is actually counter-productive.

If the lock is a VIRGIN, then graphite is the best choice.
sean_v8_914
while your in there...
remove door latch mechanism . it has 40 years of gummy goo. this is the #1 cause of broken door handles
i soak them in gas. it cleans up easy.
r_towle
Heck, while you are in there you should replace all the door seals also, dwd
bandjoey
As the kids say OMG.

LOOK WHAT i FOUND:

http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
cpavlenko
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 15 2016, 05:50 PM) *

As the kids say OMG.

LOOK WHAT i FOUND:

I like it, going to give this a try on my locks. aktion035.gif
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 15 2016, 08:30 AM) *

IMHO from 10 years in a locksmith shop

1 do not rekey with a worn key. Any respectable locksmith can code cut a new key simply by looking at your worn key. If you have the owners manual the key number is also on the back of the book.
2 Do not use oil or grease on the tumblers. It attracts dirt causing extra wear inside. Dry graphite is available at a lock shop and elsewhere
You can buy new tumblers online from a member here or the samba or a Vdub place These are stock VW parts.
3 old worn springs cause sticking tumblers. Always replace the springs to keep your 914 locks happy locks.

1. Where in the book is the key number? I actually have the manual and the only reference to a key number is to a tag that comes with the keys.

2 and 3. Thanks for the info about springs.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jan 15 2016, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 15 2016, 05:50 PM) *

As the kids say OMG.

LOOK WHAT i FOUND:

I like it, going to give this a try on my locks. aktion035.gif

I saw this, thanks. It doesn't say anything specific about what to use, if anything, to clean the crud off, other than a rag. Hence my question to the wisdom of the board. smile.gif
bandjoey
I'm old school. We had a small squirt can with white gasoline (think Coleman lantern). Instant clean and quick dry.
In the back of my cars owners manual is a page with my key numbers. A new key can be code cut from that number or by taking the door lock to a locksmith.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.