Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 914 help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmacdonald1
I was contacted by a guy who has a 73 914 that he is thinking about selling. I know VWs but nothing about Porsche. What is the trouble areas of the car? He said it is a Cali car with 0 rust. Its had 1 repaint in the past. He said it has a type 4 1.7 FI in it. Here are some pics. Please if I could get a value of what I should pay and anything that might not look correct would be greatly appreciated.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=537
585]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=537589]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment pray.gif
Bruce Hinds
Really nice - I want it.
tmacdonald1
Any idea of a fair value on it? He said $12000
iankarr
Welcome!

The first thing to keep in mind is that "zero rust" is a dream. Unless your car has had a nut and bolt restoration, you can be sure that there's some rust lurking under the blue paint. Of course, being a west coast car, there should be less rust than one from the northeast, but there's always more than you expect. The main areas to check out are:

1) The longitudinals ("Longs")' which can only really be examined by removing the rocker covers. This isn't usually a big deal...either a few screws or rivets or both. Definitely check before buying. The longs can rust from the inside out.

2) The "hell hole" under the battery tray. Check to make sure that there's no rust, which can eat through the frame and creat a catastrophic situation.

3) The floor pans. Check under the car and under the carpet. Moisture can get between the pans and underlayment, eating away at the floor.

4) Front and rear trunks. In the rear, check the area where the trunk pan meets the back.

Take the car for a drive and make sure you can downshift into 1st and 2nd gears without grinding. Check for oil drips. Ask to see the service records.
Otherwise, your car has some obvious mods... Black door handles, a rear spoiler, subwoofer instead of a center gauge console, sail panel delete, chrome trim painted body color, etc. I'd guess the dash pad has some cracks since there's a topper on it. I'm sure the rest of the gang will notice more.

Good luck!
tmacdonald1
deleted pics
tmacdonald1
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jan 23 2016, 11:01 PM) *

Welcome!

The first thing to keep in mind is that "zero rust" is a dream. Unless your car has had a nut and bolt restoration, you can be sure that there's some rust lurking under the blue paint. Of course, being a west coast car, there should be less rust than one from the northeast, but there's always more than you expect. The main areas to check out are:

1) The longitudinals ("Longs")' which can only really be examined by removing the rocker covers. This isn't usually a big deal...either a few screws or rivets or both. Definitely check before buying. The longs can rust from the inside out.

2) The "hell hole" under the battery tray. Check to make sure that there's no rust, which can eat through the frame and creat a catastrophic situation.

3) The floor pans. Check under the car and under the carpet. Moisture can get between the pans and underlayment, eating away at the floor.

4) Front and rear trunks. In the rear, check the area where the trunk pan meets the back.

Take the car for a drive and make sure you can downshift into 1st and 2nd gears without grinding. Check for oil drips. Ask to see the service records.
Otherwise, your car has some obvious mods... Black door handles, a rear spoiler, subwoofer instead of a center gauge console, sail panel delete, chrome trim painted body color, etc. I'd guess the dash pad has some cracks since there's a topper on it. I'm sure the rest of the gang will notice more.

Good luck!

The owner just assured me that all the areas 1-4 on this list are good and again said there is not a spot of rust on it
iwanta914-6
$12K Canadian is a steal.

You really should not have shown the owner's info like that though. Someone will likely call him and buy it out from under you wink.gif
thieuster
Obviously a car that had a caring owner!

Above, there the rocker covers were mentioned. Self tapping screws or new rivets are a good sign: it shows that they were removed not long ago.

Again, all 4 points mentioned above need to be checked by yourself! There are tons of pics on the forum where to look. At least, take a strong magnet and a strong lamp when you exam these points.

I really hope this turns out okay. From the pics it looks like a nice car with lots of potential for troublefree miles!

Menno

EDIT: can't comment on the price; prices are a lot higher overhere in Europe.

M.
injunmort
the car is worth $5.00.
Wdunster
If the car is in the condition he says it it and you really want the car then make him an offer. The prices of a good example of a 914 with the factory fuel system in place are going up. The 1.7 wasn't as desire able as the 2.0 but the fun factor is till there. Looking at the pictures it looks like a great car even if it needs a little work. Estimating the price of these cars is very subjective. It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you do get it you will be hooked and turn into one of us. Go get it and jump in!
Bill

driving-girl.gif driving.gif
iankarr
Maintenance records are a good sign. When you take the car for a test drive, make sure the vibration the owner was trying to fix is gone. Also check the exhaust for oil and look at the underside to make sure the tubes aren't still leaking.

DEFINITELY EYEBALL ALL MAIN RUST AREAS YOURSELF!

This site has too many stories of people finding out later that they're looking at thousands in repairs. It's not a matter of trust...the owner may not even be aware. I can't stress this enough. You can't spell "trust" without "rust"!

That said, if the car really is as described, 12K Canadian isn't crazy. 73 is the most desirable year, but the 1.7 doesn't fetch nearly what a 2.0 would. Check the "sold" listings on eBay and you'll have a sense of where the market is. I'd make a cash offer of 8 and negotiate from there.
rhodyguy
The owner is tired of throwing thousands of loonies at the car. Worried about a bouncing speedo needle. unsure.gif wacko.gif WTF. Disregard the mileage reading. +100k at a minimum. Pretty pictures but they really don't tell much. If you don't know your way around 914s look for someone or someplace to do a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection. Rocker covers need to come off. Period.
iankarr
+1 totally agree.
tmacdonald1
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 23 2016, 11:46 PM) *

$12K Canadian is a steal.

You really should not have shown the owner's info like that though. Someone will likely call him and buy it out from under you wink.gif

Thats the old owners info who has passed on
tmacdonald1
Thank you all for the great info. It has been a great insight of what to look for
SKL1
If it does have minimal rust, 12K is probaby a good deal. Wonder if dash is cracked under that god awful cover.. and hopefully not too many holes left after removing that rear spoiler!! At least the side markers are already gone!! And it is a side shifter !!

Worth a good look.
tmacdonald1
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jan 24 2016, 10:11 AM) *

If it does have minimal rust, 12K is probaby a good deal. Wonder if dash is cracked under that god awful cover.. and hopefully not too many holes left after removing that rear spoiler!! At least the side markers are already gone!! And it is a side shifter !!

Worth a good look.

What is a side shifter
tmacdonald1
He said it has 4 wheel disk brake? Is this an upgrade? Also said dash pad has been redone
PanelBilly
If there's very minor rust. 9000 would be my target number
iankarr
Agreed. 9K feels right.

4 wheel disc brakes are standard.

check the wikipedia for the 914 and the originality forum on this website for lots of good info.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 24 2016, 12:44 PM) *

$9,000USD is about $12K Canadian right now.
RenoRoger
The owner just assured me that all the areas 1-4 on this list are good and again said there is not a spot of rust on it
[/quote]

Question everything. Find a mechanic who really knows these cars, not just anyone who wrenches professionally. It is money well spent.

On the surface, this car is not very original (front valance, rear spoiler, hood badge, right hand rear view mirror, exhaust, sail panels) some of the mods could be considered improvements, depends on your taste. You show no pictures of the engine compartment. Is the original fuel injection still present or replaced by carburetor(s)? Do a compression and leakdown test. Are the front and rear sway bars still present? Carefully look at the trunk floors without carpets or soundpads. Poke around with an icepick. Remove the right rear wheel and look and poke carefully at the suspension components under the battery. The door gasket on the driver's side has holes in it, a minor item, but it could be a sign of not so minor defects elsewhere.

Don't fall in love with it until you have owned it for a month.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 24 2016, 11:44 AM) *

With current exchange rates, $12K Canadian is about $8500 USD. So, like I said...it's a steal, IMO. IF it's as rust free as the seller states.

EDIT:

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2016, 01:31 PM) *

$9,000USD is about $12K Canadian right now.

Sorry, I didn't see page two of this thread so I apologize for repeating what you basically said.
tmacdonald1
I guess he is going to put it on ebay in February so he can get top $ for it
iankarr
He's not selling it to you?

tmacdonald1
Im not willing to pay the $12000
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.