Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rewire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
garrettlee2
So for the whole story I have a 71 that I've owned since I was 13. I drove it though high school and when I would rain everything would short out and fuses would blow. I was young and dumb, so I cutters out all the wires and put in a Haywire kit. I never got it running so the car has sat for 12 years and it's time to get it going again. I have a 71 parts car and I'm putting the factory harness back in. This is were I need you help,
Is there a good way to go about reinstalling a complete harness without redoing all the connectors?
mepstein
What do you mean when you say - redoing all the connectors? Most, if not all of them, plug in.
timothy_nd28
Can you post a few pics of what you did?
garrettlee2
I'll post pictures tomorrow. And what I meant by not redoing connectors is I would like to not cutters anything. I really am looking for were to start " front to back" or do I start with the fuse box and work out.

Mike Bellis
The entire harness will come out without cutting. The tricky part is getting the rear part into the cabin. It's a little tough. Two person job for sure.
raynekat
My wiring was all chopped up and fried, so I bought one of these for my 1971 914-4.
Pricey but it is nice and has all the correct connectors.

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsc...ucts/f1n-105381
bulitt
Yes, start in the cabin at the fuse box.
The front feeds somewhat easily through the firewall grommet.
The back is a fricking PITA to get through the snorkel at the
rear firewall. headbang.gif
At the pedal cluster area the wires go into/around to the tunnel differently for certain model years I think. Jeff Bowlsby could answer this better.
Dave_Darling
Check in the "Classic thread" section of the BBS. Our genial host, Sir Andy, has done just such a replacement. In a 1971 tub, even! He took lots of pics, to boot.

--DD
garrettlee2
Thank you all
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 24 2016, 08:14 PM) *

The entire harness will come out without cutting. The tricky part is getting the rear part into the cabin. It's a little tough. Two person job for sure.

Lube is your friend, I have reinstalled the chassis harness several times solo. Use a non oil-based lube like KY.

About the 1971 chassis harness, there were two versions. Check the steering column connector it will be either 12 or 14 pin. Get the correct harness, they are not interchangeable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.