Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should have done this long ago...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
I'm doing suspension and brake work this winter. After mounting and dismounting the wheels several times I finally figured out something most of you have probably known forever.
I went to ACE and bought two bolts that match the thread of the lug bolts and cut the heads off.
I've always been a late bloomer...
Next I'll figure out how to post a photo in the correct orientation idea.gif
Click to view attachment
Bruce Hinds
So, why did you do that? Just to line it up? That's actually a pretty good idea.
Thanks for sharing.
jack20
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 8 2016, 06:06 PM) *

So, why did you do that? Just to line it up? That's actually a pretty good idea.
Thanks for sharing.

Makes it easy to hang the wheel on the hub. Screw in the first two bolts, unscrew the studs and screw in the last two.
Olympic 914
Somebody makes knurled studs to do that. but your idea is cheaper, and you could just cut a slot with a hacksaw to make it easier to unthread them if they bind up.

Good idea. thumb3d.gif
RickS
My 91 Audi came with a plastic stud to help mount tires. Now I use it on my VW. Makes mounting a breeze. So she said.
Tom_T
Not to burst anybody's bubble, but they've sold those headless bolt wheel alignment studs since back in the day 60's-70's, & still do at almost any Porsche parts retailer.

Plus - they're gold Cad or zinc plated all around so they won't rust sitting in your tool kit or trunk.

So all the usual suspects have them today - unless you just want to cut off your own bolt-heads for some reason.

You can get by with just one if you put it at 12-o'clock, which is what most of us do/did.

But then, I always just used the old forehead at the top of the tire trick when changing a flat on the road.

But why I REALLY wanted to post here, is I see in Jack's gravity defying pic, a really dangerous situation! blink.gif

Jack - trash those crappy ratchet-type jackstands & get some safe pin-type jackstands, before we read about you being crushed under your car! shades.gif

All - those ratchet jackstands are notorious for slipping off the notches & dropping on the unsuspecting owner - including several members on here! Do NOT use them!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jack20
Tom,
No burst bubbles. As I said, most of you have probably figured this out years ago.

Thanks for your concern about the jack stands. What you can't see in the pic are two old style stands under the engine carrier and a floor jack under each doughnut.
When I was a kid a neighbor was killed while he was working under his truck...
Darren C
Porsche make GENUINE ones.....

http://suncoastparts.com/product/99957107430.html

Light weight, taper end for easy wheel mounting and hole for double ended screwdriver to use as tommy bar to easily install and remove.

They came as standard in a Boxster tool roll. I have bought one and added it to my 914 tools for easy rear wheel mounting.
rhodyguy
Works pretty good for a flat tire on any wheel too. Much better than trying to do a change with cars whizzing by along side a freeway juggling everything.
TheCabinetmaker
Been doing it for years. I just cut the head off another lug bolt, then slot the end for a screwdriver.
Bartlett 914
Click to view attachment
AndyB
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 9 2016, 01:12 AM) *

Not to burst anybody's bubble, but they've sold those headless bolt wheel alignment studs since back in the day 60's-70's, & still do at almost any Porsche parts retailer.

Plus - they're gold Cad or zinc plated all around so they won't rust sitting in your tool kit or trunk.

So all the usual suspects have them today - unless you just want to cut off your own bolt-heads for some reason.

You can get by with just one if you put it at 12-o'clock, which is what most of us do/did.

But then, I always just used the old forehead at the top of the tire trick when changing a flat on the road.

But why I REALLY wanted to post here, is I see in Jack's gravity defying pic, a really dangerous situation! blink.gif

Jack - trash those crappy ratchet-type jackstands & get some safe pin-type jackstands, before we read about you being crushed under your car! shades.gif

All - those ratchet jackstands are notorious for slipping off the notches & dropping on the unsuspecting owner - including several members on here! Do NOT use them!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I disagree with your statements on those jackstands. Yes individuals have gotten hurt improperly using the jack stands. I have four that I use reguraly without fail. Then again I am probably the only one here that gets the jacks load tested and inspected annually. Its not the design of the jack its the operator. I see this posteed on every thread with the ratcheting jack. I wasnt aware that we now have jackstand police ready to jump in when they dont agree with ones choice for jack stands. Of course its not like my care has been on stands since 1976 poke.gif
rhodyguy
i ALWAYS leave one of the floor jacks raised to just touching as a safety back up no matter which type of stand i'm using. like a fall arresting harness. you'll never need it until you try to fly and have failed to attach yourself to one. then, if you're lucky, you only have to endure a little pain.
malcolm2
I have a couple sets of those stands.... one set is taller and more HD. But I also use the pads on top from Harbor Freight. They help increase the metal to metal friction and keep the car from sliding.

I have also read the posts about dangers, and agree that it might be an operator problem. Have there been lawsuits?

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
You can also use zip ties around the handles and stand legs help keep them secure if you're really paranoid. Zip ties are cheap. Crushed Mellon? Not so much.
malcolm2
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 9 2016, 11:56 AM) *

You can also use zip ties around the handles and stand legs help keep them secure if you're really paranoid. Zip ties are cheap. Crushed Mellon? Not so much.

Good idea on the zip ties.

I have actually tried to lift one of the handles when there is weight on the stand. It would take a hell-uva hit to move that handle off of the tooth. But if you do not have the teeth fully seated and the handle completely down the handle's tooth could possibly be bumped out of the stand's tooth.

So again, to me it seems to be a proper operation issue. I will agree that they are not idiot proof like the ones with pins in 'em. I would say the zip tie would solve that.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(AndyB @ Feb 9 2016, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 9 2016, 01:12 AM) *

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I disagree with your statements on those jackstands. Yes individuals have gotten hurt improperly using the jack stands. I have four that I use reguraly without fail. Then again I am probably the only one here that gets the jacks load tested and inspected annually. Its not the design of the jack its the operator. I see this posteed on every thread with the ratcheting jack. I wasnt aware that we now have jackstand police ready to jump in when they dont agree with ones choice for jack stands. Of course its not like my care has been on stands since 1976 poke.gif

There aren't any "jackstand police" waiting to jump in when they don't agree with your choice. Just concerned folks who may know someone who was hurt while using a certain type of jack stand and are concerned for your safety. Take their advice or ignore it. No big deal. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 9 2016, 09:04 AM) *

i ALWAYS leave one of the floor jacks raised to just touching as a safety back up no matter which type of stand i'm using. like a fall arresting harness. you'll never need it until you try to fly and have failed to attach yourself to one. then, if you're lucky, you only have to endure a little pain.

Backups are good. I ALWAYS have my floor jack just touching somewhere when I use jack stands.
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Feb 11 2016, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 9 2016, 09:04 AM) *

Backups are good. I ALWAYS have my floor jack just touching somewhere when I use jack stands. Of course with the D Sport I've made a permanent table for holding the car at the right height.

SirAndy
QUOTE(AndyB @ Feb 9 2016, 08:20 AM) *

Actually, the individual on this board who almost lost his life to those jackstands didn't "improperly" use them.

If i remember correctly, he accidentally hit the release lever with his leg while he was under the car.
shades.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 11 2016, 01:36 PM) *
If i remember correctly, he accidentally hit the release lever with his leg while he was under the car.
shades.gif

Which shouldn't be possible--but we all know the difference between "shouldn't be" and "is really not".

I believe only the pin-lock stands are OSHA-approved, if that makes any difference. They have a much more positive lock than the ratchet ones. Too bad tall ones can be tough to find on short notice. (That reminds me, I should wander over to HF before I get under the car again...)

When you're talking about putting yourself under a ton of metal, backups and backups to the backups are a very good idea. Using a couple of jack stands, plus the jack, plus putting a tire or two under the car, is not the worst idea in the world!

I think I've already made enough smart*ss remarks about that 914world member needing face-reconstruction surgery, so I'll just say that we are all very lucky that he only needed to have his face rebuilt.

--DD
Larmo63
Suspenders AND a belt.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
for my whole life I have always laid the tire under the car, just for something else to bounce off instead of my chest.

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.