Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shift bushing issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I'm in the process of cleaning up a few things on my 75 teen.

One of the jobs was to fix up a sloppy tail shift bushing, THIS ONE.
IPB Image

I purchased a new one from my friends at AutoAtlanta. They inform me I did in fact order the correct one.

When I installed this bushing into my side shifter housing it fits loose both on the trans and the shift rod.

I've inspected the opening for signs of wear, but it looks to be in good shape and not worn, plus the old bushing did fit tight in the hole.

Measuring the transmission opening I get 22mm but the bushing is just a hair under 21mm.

I've been advised that I must have had a custom bushing installed. My car is very original and the bushing I cut out looked very old. The bushing I removed looked more like the FIREWALL BUSHING with no "castle" like fingers, it was just one solid ring.

Anyone have an idea what I'm running into?
brant
your running into the last owners custom bushing...

make it from oil impregnated brass
make it custom to fit the wear in your shift rod, and wear in your transmission shift console.
ChrisFoley
Just JB weld the new bushing in place so it doesn't move around.
-JR-
Anyone know the bushing dimensions for the firewall bushing...

914-424-224-03

I'm taking a guess that this one might be what was installed in the transmission.

thanks!

-JR-
bretth
The subject of the post is side shift bushing but in your post you call it a tail shift bushing. Maybe is the wrong one? 75 is side shift of course though i haven't even taken mine apart yet.

Brett
Mikey914
This what you are looking for? It's part # 914.424.224.02

AT $2.99!!!

http://shop.914rubber.com/Late-side-shifte...m?categoryId=-1
r_towle
They all fit loose.
I made custom bronze ones for mine that are tight.
Plastic ones don't fit
larryM
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 12 2016, 07:23 PM) *

X2 -my bronze ones have been in since early '90s - no slop
-JR-
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 12 2016, 06:42 PM) *

This what you are looking for? It's part # 914.424.224.02

AT $2.99!!!

http://shop.914rubber.com/Late-side-shifte...m?categoryId=-1

Thanks! Not sure if you noticed but I stole the parts diagram picture from your site to use at the top of this post!

That's the part number I have.

If you have one on hand, could I persuade you to measure the transmission hole size it needs? I'm talking about the outer captured area and not the inner diameter, if that makes sense.

I still can't believe my trans was worn so bad that someone machined out the opening larger. The car is a garage kept 60K mile unit. I find it much easier to believe the Chinese replacement is just a poor copy.

Thanks again.

BTW - Love your site, lots of goodies I need there, but until the Canadian peso improves I'm going to hold off.

-JR-
Larmo63
Use the common (eBay) bronze one in the rear console, and use the Tangerine bushing at the firewall.

Easy peasy.
cary
What Lawrence said.
That's the arrangement that I have on my white car.

http://www.gprparts.com/ShopforOEAccesorie...ALL&mode=PA
Dave_Darling
The hole in the flange wears larger over the years. It's an interesting solution to machine it larger and use a different bushing, but it doesn't sound like it was working all that well.

The rod also wears and gets a "neck" in it, which can make for more slop. The fix for that involves either building up the rod with weld and machining or filing it down, or machining it down and putting a sleeve on it.

--DD
-JR-
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 12 2016, 10:41 PM) *

Use the common (eBay) bronze one in the rear console, and use the Tangerine bushing at the firewall.

Easy peasy.

Love that setup, but that bushing apparently won't fit my Trans. Once I've confirmed my Trans has been machined, then I'd prefer a custom bushing in place of gluing one in.

Thanks!
TheCabinetmaker
The shift console most likely has not been machined. Most of them are a little bigger that they were new. Especially if it's been greasy at one time. Grease and dirt combined equal a sanding medium.
-JR-
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 13 2016, 02:25 PM) *

The shift console most likely has not been machined. Most of them are a little bigger that they were new. Especially if it's been greasy at one time. Grease and dirt combined equal a sanding medium.

I get that, but my old bushing fit tight. So tight that the surfaces were clean when I removed it.

Once I have a second opinion on the bushing or transmission hole size, then I'll move forward.

Thanks!
porschetub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 13 2016, 04:23 PM) *

They all fit loose.
Plastic ones don't fit

How do you make a bronze bush fit and hold in the housing? fitted replacement plastic one and its a poor fit ,don't know but is the genuine one a better fit ?
-JR-
Got my digital caliper running.

The first bushing I tried, non-OEM, measured up with a console hole diameter of 20.22-20.30mm.

Digging around my boxes for another part I stumbled on a OEM Porsche bushing I must have bought a few years back. PN 914-424-224-02

It measures 20.85mm outside diameter.

That's .5m larger for the Porsche one. It fits much better on my console but unfortunately it's still not good enough for me.

My console hole measures up at 21.3mm diameter. Almost big enough for the Patrick bushing.

Might just order that one up and be done with it until I put my Vellios 915 transmission in.

-JR-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.