Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What did you do this weekend????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
I pulled my motor and went to work on the oil leaks.....

First pulled the trans and addressed the rear seal...It was only flush. Tapped it in until tight. ok that was no problem.

Now to address the weeping from a galley plug that I installed...pulled it out, re-sealed it with high temp pipe seal. so far so good..

Now to the oil pump...flatteded the case, got a good seal and re-installed....all right looking good!

pulled the plugs and found my jumper cables. Time to spin it up..I grab my compression gage just for grins...

1&2 150# ok not bad.. #4 is 50 # WTF???? #3 is 150#????

hmmmm. The plugs from 1&2 were wet and dark, from 3&4 light and tan?? Ok my linkage is off I can see that. But what about the pressure???

Time to take a break. go and get all the cables and battery out again...I know, I will look at the valves...oh yes this is the rocker assembly that I had a problem with...yep, valves are tight...loosen and re-perform pressure check....whew...up to around 150#..I was only running on 3 cylinders!!! and my linkage was way bad.....!!

When I get this sorted out this will be one bad running car..!! smilie_pokal.gif
as it was this is a rocket with plenty of torque....it just lights up the tires in 1st and 2nd....time for beerchug.gif

So what did you do??

skline
That is good news about your engine. My first guess would have been a tight valve. I did lots and lots of body work and sanding and welding and grinding on the 74 and then went to Joe Buckles house to help him with his new brake install. Got that done in no time, helps when you have the right tools. Now its back to the normal job and then come back home and work on the car some more.
Joe Ricard
Drove the living piss out of it.
Attended an Autocross school Friday Saturday. and raced Sunday.
Burned over 1/2 tank of gas inthe school drove ALL day long. Let a Ford owner who broke his car drive the teener for his seat time. Once he learned how to shift it he did OK but was really over driving the tires. He did have this shit eating grin when he got out. Mumbling something like "holy crap that thing turn quick"

I am getting pretty consistant with my times so now I just need to keep it clean and search for the faster line. driving.gif

Got the wife in the car for a ride along I think she is bit by the racing bug mueba.gif
I finished neck and neck with 2nd generation Toyota Turbo MR-2 . My raw time was faster but clipped a cone headbang.gif putting me in 2nd place for SM-2 class.
BTW car didn't miss a beat all weekend even with other people banging gears and rev limiter. Finnished off the night with a 125 mile drive home and made a quick jump to 115 MPH with ALOT more to go. boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
scottb
pulled the car out of the storage garage into primary garage.

started after 2 cranks having sat for past 5 months. not bad!

didn't go too nuts.

installed ltd edition 914world.com windshield banner. smilie_pokal.gif

rewired my temp and volt gauges and mounted them in an under dash unit. looks great. i had removed the center console as my fat feet don't work well with it in place.

pulled the seats and transferred the runners to my new dr evil seats. waiting for the dash and targa bar then it all goes in.

d914
also drove the Piss outta it for half the weekend at a NASA comp shool and then almost BLEW UP!!!!

POS PO of my fuel cell had a second access hole in the bladder and covered it with a piece of aluminum and held in place by the lid of the can. Soooo every time I turned left gas came out. Bled my brakes dropped the right side off of the saftey stands and gas came pouring out of the car, end of weekend!!!!
michel richard
Some P-content work:

Started my Lotus Europa on the new megasquirt system I am building, using mostly 914 injection components: injectors, pump, filter, Intake Air Temp sensor and hacked wiring harness.

It did start, and actually idled but it was pretty rough. I then flooded it. Packed it up and had a couple of beers !

Michel Richard
914/6 2.2E MFI
Austin Healey Bugeye An5L 700
1967 Lotus Europa S1a

rick 918-S
Made this for Larry. biggrin.gif (Spare Time Toys) The my cold won out and I slept the rest of the weekend. mad.gif
CptTripps
I finished up all the paint removal, Replaced the rusted out channels in the front trunk, installed a brace on the rear trunk lid, put the doors back on, and now I'm ready for body work...

Oh, and I built a welder cart, and cleaned the garage. Boy, did that ever need it!
Rusty
QUOTE (crash914 @ Mar 21 2005, 07:36 AM)
So what did you do??

Good to hear about your car! smile.gif

I engraved key fobs, and addressed envelopes. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. Dr. Evil took my car down to Mexico for me... for some "brightening up". So, that's work by proxy for me. biggrin.gif
Gint
Nothing.

OK, I did look at some pictures of my beautiful "new" tangerine tub. wub.gif
Tom73
Installed a new dash pad..... biggrin.gif
JoeSharp
Got some new wheels for Beauty, and I was tinkering with the MPS on Carerror. It just keeps getting better, she accelerates really hard, and I'm still lean on top. Had to put a rain hat on the MPS, The vents were picking up water.
biggrin.gif Joe
TheCabinetmaker
All I did to my car was wash and drive, but, I did help a friend rip out his single carb and run new lines thru the tunnel in perp for installing D-jet.
JoeSharp
Oh yeah! Imade a bracket for the LM-1n and put it on the dash. First the MPS rain hat.
biggrin.gif Joe
JoeSharp
The LM-1 on the dash.
biggrin.gif Joe
JoeSharp
The Bracket.
biggrin.gif Joe
Bleyseng
hehe, someone installed the MPS cover 90 degrees off. The vents should be facing down!

I worked on the Westy, replacing the pushrod seals, cleaning (7 cans of brake cleaner), new oil filter and oil change, valve adjustment, fixed some exhaust leaks, installed the engine tin foam seal, fixed the rear window defogger, got the radio to work and got the wipers to work.

Found lots more hp with the valve adjustment as they were set way to loose. Warmed up the Westy and it sounds so much better, almost quiet!

Good thing its running good cuz my daily driver 94 Ranger blew its pinon gear on Thursday. Located a junk yard rear end so got to pick it up today.. cant wait until the weekend for more dirty work.

914 needs a big lump of cash to move to the next level....

Geoff

tat2dphreak
well, I took off all last week, we went out of town friday-sunday, but mon-wednesday we did the following:

1. bled and tested the brakes
2. fixed/installed the parking brake
3. removed the old altenator and installed the new (rebuilt) one... btw, Orielly has these for $50 with a lifetime warranty, you have to mod them a little more than the bosch one, but not much... the bolt is too long... and the rectifier plate was sitting up higher, but it was an easy fix

4. installed the dash
5. fixed the horn on the new steering wheel
6. fixed the ignition switch, kinda... we put in a push-button start biggrin.gif
7. removed the rockers to inspect the rust... not bad really.
8. installed a new optima battery
9. started it up!! (it had been sitting about 6 months without starting... but after a few cranks, and a little carb cleaner into the carbs... started up and purred like a kitten!

we did have one set back... I found that my gas tank(or one of the lines) is leaking... I'm thinking it's the line we closed off(needing only 1 for carbs) but we need to pull the tank again and FIX that bitch!
brant
barely 914 related:

I attended a 2 day liscensing school for the local vintage racing sanctioning body. Of course the 914 that I intend to race is not running yet, so I had to go to school in my ford focus.

raised a few eyebrows that a ford focus could give some of those cars a run.

passed the school anyways
Trekkor
First a/x with LPR PCA. 3 seconds off top time.
Most of the Bay Area Club gang were on hand.
I'm having trouble getting used to driving this car with the added speed.
You can't take the sharp corners that fast. I'll get it mueba.gif

KT
Brando
Saturday I was at the Festival of Speed helping out as a volunteer. My efforts paid off as I was able to testrun the Autocross track for free a few times smile.gif Had to stop after my 4th lap because my oil light kept coming on from hitting the turns so hard. Came home and installed a tunacan to subvert the issue.

Sunday, overslept and missed the A-X event (too much to drink the night before?) dry.gif Wokeup and helped my Dad install a new catalytic perverter for my Mom's 911SC. The bolts were rusted on so bad at the manifold and muffler we ended up making a trip to pepboys to some M8x1.25x40mm bolts which ended up being almost an hour venture. Finished with her car around 4pm. Part of that time I was installing a new ignition switch in my car. It failed yesterday. Like "I give up!" zero working condition. I'm glad I ordered a replacement a few months ago because I wasn't going to replace it until it failed completely.
Mueller
worked on my big brake kit for the front on my 914.....after a few setbacks I figured out how to make it....I hope to have it installed on the car shortly

installed my rear carbonfiber decklid...looks good smile.gif

drove the 914 on Sunday inbetween rain clouds, got a complement on the 914 at a stop light....buzzed past the guy later on up the street, he fought his way though traffic to ask about my exhaust, said it sounds way cool
biggrin.gif , turns out he has a beach boys conversion and lives just a few miles from me......
siverson
Friday night I installed a new Dansk steel muffler with the crappiest factory paint ever applied to a new muffler! Here's a picture, this is a one day old muffler after about a 30 mile drive or so...

Saturday morning I got up early and finished my first triathlon (http://www.ironmancalifornia.com/). I pretty much rested the rest of the weekend...

-Steve
bondo
I made some attempts at anodizing the LT1 intake manifold, then gave up and painted it. Then I put the engine back together (mostly). Details (and pics!) are here.
MarkG
Fixed both door locks, lubricated internal door locking parts - now both doors close perfect AND lock/unlock - step 1 in driving it beyond the parking lot....

Replaced front pads just to see if it would improve the brakes (R4S)...it did.

WAS planning on taking a few days off to re-do the entire brake system(19mm m/c. caliper kits, hoses, rotors, bearings and Porterfield pads all around) and install my Bilsteins/springs/ball joints/turbo tierods/solid A-arm bushings etc. but may have to wait a few months yet for 3 days of good days of weather to strike Colorado!
Rhodes71/914
Installed a banged up front valance. I did paint it so it looks ok but it is only temp. I just couldn't stand not having something there. Think I would like an LE spoiler or something similar.

Other than that Saturday was the only day I haven't driven the car since I got the 2L in, it was the most rain we have had in more than a month.

Now I still have to track down why the license plate light fuse keeps blowing and a power drain.
dinomium
Drank some of Shane's (red914) birthday Whiskey and look for the origin of his VERY BIG oil leak. went back to the Makers Mark before we found it!

Ugmo got some new windshield wipers and re painted the gauge cluster to black. PO had used a silver foil like finish. It was SO ugly! Tore off the matching dash panel. rewired the gauges so now I have a temp gauge, tach (not too bouncey), and 150mph speedo.
I had to change out the fuel sender unit. The PO tried to go for the 916 look with a vdo gas gauge in the dash, but it never worked. I don't think the donor sender is working, but all the idiot lights work! I replaced all the bulbs with BRAND NEW ONES! Woo HOO!
I also sprayed all the bare metal spots on the red car with some paint. I just have no time to weld that car together just now...
DNHunt
Volunteered as a "course engineer" at the local PCA driver's skills day. That means I got to chase down cones all day with no driving. It rained all day.

One poor guy put a 996 into the concrete barrier nose first. The airbags went off and tha radiator was leaking, not to mention the sheetmetal. So, he was worse off than me.

I finally got some enthusiasm to work on my car. I rebuilt the fresh air box so it doesn't leak cold air all the time. I'm getting ready to put the old engine back in it so I hope to be on the road in a week or 2.

Dave
Root_Werks
Not much, wife and I took her new car on a small trip to Ocean Shores in WA. I got her a 944 for our aniv. She loves it! Great trip in a great car. Didn't do much to the 914, still waiting on parts to finish up Craigs car, my car and two other cars. cool.gif
azbill
Gave the engine a bath installed new ignition wires, and wash the P-car. Shipped speedo for rebuilding to Mike and bought a gauge kit from Jeff Fort smilie_pokal.gif . Should have the kit latter part of this week will start assembling or Mike send it to Mike for assembly. Now its waiting for the Rennshift hope this week. Just some of the things to the finish.
JoeSharp
I forgot that I had a window put in yesterday. Now I can finish the Rock.
biggrin.gif Joe
SirAndy
What did you do this weekend????, Only 914 work of course....

watched a bunch of guys (and gals) drive their 914s around the track ...
headbang.gif Andy
Series9
Performed some much-needed garage improvement.

I built a new work bench that's big enough to spread out a little and added some shelves and a TV (shhhhh, my wife doesn't know).
Series9
And:
Brando
CAMP 914 is actually the garage of your house? Damn... I guess some people are serious when they just want a bedroom, kitchen and a bathroom attached to a 20-car garage blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.