Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The "RIGHT" place to mount the hood emblem.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
MY car came withthe emblem mounted WAY too high. Is there a 'correct' measurement for it?

I've seen a few higher than others, but mine was just way too far into the hood for it's own good.

user posted image
ArtechnikA
with the possible exception of Dr Porsche's personal 8-cyl 914, 100% of them were installed in the aftermarket.

put it where you like.
Joe Bob
I remove all mine...but typically about 4 inches up from the edge.

Also, glue or tape it on...some little bastrad WILL try to steal it and if it held on with speed nuts it's gonna screw up yer hood when he pries it off with a screwdriver....
bondo
The correct place to mount it is in your glove box smile.gif

If you insist on putting it on your hood, grind off the pegs and use a good foam double stick tape, so the rust monster doesn't get you.
McMark
In the trash. Yeah, don't drill your hoood. That way when you decide you actually don't like the emblem you can take it off. wink.gif

I draw a line between the tops of the headlights and mount it centered between the front edge of the hood and that line.
Rockaria
The best thing to do is make a 1:1 scale scan and color printout of it on paper. Cut it out and put a little tape on it and move it around till you like where it is. Then its easy to drill and install.

Everyone is a bit different on the pacement I have found.
CptTripps
I think I'll put it on because I like it, but thanks for the tip on using tape! I hadn't hought of that angle.
Tom73
I taped off the center of the hood, drew a center line and then moved the emblem up and down that line until I hit a spot that looked right. Was about half way between the top of the lights and the bottom of the hood.

tom...
SirAndy
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 21 2005, 09:36 AM)
Is there a 'correct' measurement for it?

yepp, on the shelf together with your other porsche Memorabilia ... wink.gif

cool.gif Andy <---- ducking for cover ...
rick 918-S
There is no correct measurement for it as you are not installed at the factory. I would mount it on a plaque and hang it in the garage on the wall.
Scott S
here is how I measure them....
Scott S
mine.
CptTripps
QUOTE (Scott Schroeder @ Mar 21 2005, 02:10 PM)
here is how I measure them....

Ahhh....I see. Thanks...great tip.
rhodyguy
he already has holes. so a bit less than 1/2 a badge length is all you get. drilling 2 more holes for what will probably be -1 3/8" is more trouble than it's worth. if the pins are up and down as opposed to side to side you will be moving it less. sad.gif spring for a new base seal and live with it.

GWN7
Actually the badges were factory instaled, but only if you had a 918 wink.gif biggrin.gif (only on one of them)
Scott S
Hmmmm.... pretty darn close!
airsix
I don't know what's up with all the poo-pooing. What's wrong with a badge? I think they look nice. Better a badge than those hideous "Look at me! Look at me!" Porsche script side-stripes. I think a badge is subtle and tasteful.

But who am I to talk. I'd NEVER change my car from stock (turbo). I mean, our cars sould be left exactly as they came from the factory (aftermarket EFI). It's just not right to deviate from original (5-lug). Isn't it good enough the way it was (custom flares). We should be satisfied and leave well-enough alone (big brakes, hydraulic clutch, 16x8" wheels, relocated fuel pump, relocated battery, aftermarket seats...) happy11.gif

-Ben M.
Series9
Here's mine:
SirAndy
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Mar 21 2005, 01:59 PM)
Actually the badges were factory instaled, but only if you had a 918  ;)  :D  (only on one of them)

except, the car in your pic is not a 918, nor is the badge on that car permanent (just taped on) ...

wink.gif Andy
MarkG
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 21 2005, 09:40 AM)
I remove all mine...but typically about 4 inches up from the edge.

Also, glue or tape it on...some little bastrad WILL try to steal it and if it held on with speed nuts it's gonna screw up yer hood when he pries it off with a screwdriver....

That is EXACTLY what happened on my 308.....only Ferrari BOLTS their hood emblems on, so after breaking his screwdriver trying to get the hood emblem off, the a$$hole ran the broken screwdriver across the hood a few times.....

$150 for new hood emblem.....we wont discuss the $$$ to fix the rest....
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 21 2005, 12:46 PM)
If you insist on putting it on your hood, grind off the pegs and use a good foam double stick tape, so the rust monster doesn't get you.

agree.gif
and, you can remove it later, no harm no foul. I put one on my first 914, then later came to regret it.

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"
SpecialK
QUOTE (airsix @ Mar 21 2005, 02:28 PM)
I don't know what's up with all the poo-pooing. What's wrong with a badge? I think they look nice. Better a badge than those hideous "Look at me! Look at me!" Porsche script side-stripes. I think a badge is subtle and tasteful.

But who am I to talk. I'd NEVER change my car from stock (turbo). I mean, our cars sould be left exactly as they came from the factory (aftermarket EFI). It's just not right to deviate from original (5-lug). Isn't it good enough the way it was (custom flares). We should be satisfied and leave well-enough alone (big brakes, hydraulic clutch, 16x8" wheels, relocated fuel pump, relocated battery, aftermarket seats...) happy11.gif

-Ben M.

lol2.gif chairfall.gif

I couldn't agree more! It's your car, do whatever you want to it.....and if "they" don't like it tell them to pucker-up bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif

I got a badge on mine (located pretty much as Scott illustrated), and I think they look like they belong there.....but that's just me. wink.gif
bondo
Just for the record, I prefer no emblem because I think it looks better without it, not because they didn't come with them from the factory. smile.gif I also hate that they put holes in the hood, eventually allowing the crusty rusties to grow. But it is indeed your car, and you can do whatever you want as long as you don't drill holes smile.gif
airsix
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 21 2005, 06:18 PM)
you can do whatever you want as long as you don't drill holes smile.gif

Or feather sand around the holes and paint the exposed metal. No shoddy work, no rusties.
-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.