Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: placement of Porsche crest on front hood
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
vitamin914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 11 2022, 11:38 AM) *

I also like the look of the badge on some colors of 914 and am strongly leaning toward doing it for two reasons.

1) The Porsche design team officially voted to badge the car but the VW-Porsche marketing cluster prevented it from happening.

2) It really irritates a lot of people biggrin.gif

However, if I did it, I'd cut the posts off and mount with 3M trim tape. No way would I drill the hood.

A few weeks ago I took a drive in the car with a friend and let him drive it to a small town where we had lunch. As we ate outside next to the car, I asked what he thought about badging the car. His first question was whether it came from the factory with a badge. No, but then I told the story of the design team voting to badge but the car already being marketed as VW-Porsche in Europe so the badge never happened. A couple weeks later he says, "I've been thinking about the badge. I think you should do it." I tend to agree. I credit everything that is great about these cars to the design team and everything that is bad to the botched marketing. I like the idea of honoring the wishes of the design team even though I doubt many of them lost sleep over never seeing the badge on the car.

If you decide to add the badge, I would mount it in the same location as in the 914-8 (Mark Henry's photo on page 1). That would most likely be the location where the design team would have placed it.

I agree with not drilling holes. Makes change of mind much easier too.

Or do what I did... add another 914 to the stable... My 74 does not have the badge, my 73 does. blink.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Sep 11 2022, 10:29 AM) *

I also like the look of the badge on some colors of 914 and am strongly leaning toward doing it for two reasons.

1) The Porsche design team officially voted to badge the car but the VW-Porsche marketing cluster prevented it from happening.

However, if I did it, I'd cut the posts off and mount with 3M trim tape. No way would I drill the hood.

A few weeks ago I took a drive in the car with a friend and let him drive it to a small town where we had lunch. As we ate outside next to the car, I asked what he thought about badging the car. His first question was whether it came from the factory with a badge. No, but then I told the story of the design team voting to badge but the car already being marketed as VW-Porsche in Europe so the badge never happened. A couple weeks later he says, "I've been thinking about the badge. I think you should do it." I tend to agree. I credit everything that is great about these cars to the design team and everything that is bad to the botched marketing. I like the idea of honoring the wishes of the design team even though I doubt many of them lost sleep over never seeing the badge on the car.

If you decide to add the badge, I would mount it in the same location as in the 914-8 (Mark Henry's photo on page 1). That would most likely be the location where the design team would have placed it.

Or do what I did... add another 914 to the stable... My 74 does not have the badge, my 73 does. blink.gif

I agree that's the best placement. However, they put the badge (a sticker IIRC) on Piech's 914-8 stupidly low so apparently even Porsche couldn't decide the correct placement. It looks hideous that low though.

If I do this, the badge will actually be stuck to PPF so not even the tape will touch the paint.

So do you decide which 914 to drive by whether you are in the mood to irritate people? laugh.gif
mb911
This is how I placed mine. Seems right. Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 11 2022, 01:32 PM) *

Yeah. That's the spot! smilie_pokal.gif
type2man
I have no badges on mine, but alas, I have to answer the ever eternal question which everyone asks, is it a fiat.
mlindner
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 11 2022, 02:32 PM) *

Car looks great Ben.
sb914
agree.gif
emerygt350
QUOTE(type2man @ Sep 11 2022, 09:16 PM) *

I have no badges on mine, but alas, I have to answer the ever eternal question which everyone asks, is it a fiat.

i had 30 something ask me at a stop sign "is that real?" the other day.

At first I thought it might have been the chalon thing but the more I think about it, most young folks have never seen an unadulterated 914 either.
Cairo94507
At our local Classic Car Show on Friday night, I had more than 1 person ask if my car was a Ferrari? I wanted to show them a picture of @tygaboy Chris' build and say "Yes".
76-914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 11 2022, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Sep 11 2022, 10:29 AM) *

I agree that's the best placement. However, they put the badge (a sticker IIRC) on Piech's 914-8 stupidly low so apparently even Porsche couldn't decide the correct placement. It looks hideous that low though.

If I do this, the badge will actually be stuck to PPF so not even the tape will touch the paint.

So do you decide which 914 to drive by whether you are in the mood to irritate people? laugh.gif

If your "Hell Bent upon Tattooing" your "Pristine Teen" then go with the Silver n Black crest. Ben's car color compliments the red crest so it that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. slap.gif beerchug.gif
JoeD
Mine had one when I got it. It was chipped and broken. I decided to keep the crest when I had it repainted. Went this direction and I really like it.

Click to view attachment
Van B
I haven’t seen it specifically stated on this thread, but the crest placement on all Porsche cars is centerline left to right and 80mm from the point of the crest to the edge of the hood.
fixer34
Ok, so where do I get a decent looking/condition badge? Mine is more 'survivor' status so it doesn't have to be pristine.
Why do I want it? Well, I had the front hood replaced 30+ years ago and it had the 2 mounting holes already drilled and painted. Been staring at those 2 holes ever since. Maybe it's time to cover them up.
Car is '70 Irish Green if it matters.
Van B
You can buy all version new from Porsche and you can find lots of used ones on eBay.
Don’t forge the gasket and retaining nuts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.