Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: placement of Porsche crest on front hood
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
cooper951
My '74 came without any badges or emblems, so I've gathered them all and will install this weekend. I know not all 914's have the front hood badge, but I like the look. If someone could measure the distance I would appreciate it.
Cairo94507
None of them came from the factory with the Porsche badge on the hood. Location is a matter of personal preference. There are a lot of pictures on this site with badge placement. I would just say don't place it to high as it looks funny.
McMark
12" forward of the front of the car.
dflesburg
This is how I have lined them up on the cars I have done.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
If you must have one. Cut out a paper copy. Tape it to the hood. Look at it for a while. Once you decide you like the placement, drill the holes.
JOEPROPER
I'm mixed on the hood badge subject. I like it on my orange car but not on the red one. The red one is too high on the hood, maybe that's why. I would definitely measure twice.
Spoke
Do as Porsche did. The crest on my '86 930 is 3.25 inches from the front edge of the hood to the tip of the crest.
cooper951
Thanks for the help (and the pic!) The hood crest came from my '86 951, so there is a bit of sentimentality involved as well.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 19 2016, 09:08 AM) *

None of them came from the factory with the Porsche badge on the hood. Location is a matter of personal preference. There are a lot of pictures on this site with badge placement. I would just say don't place it to high as it looks funny.

The 914-8's given to Ferry Porsche and Ferdinand Piƫch did have emblems, the double headlight one looks way too low, but the silver one looks good.

IPB Image
76-914
Put it where it belongs; in your glove box or the classifieds. shades.gif
toolguy
Put it exactly where Porsche did, on a 911.

Brings to mind the thread with the 914 that had about 25 logos and crest's on it. .
One or 25. . why ???
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 19 2016, 06:53 AM) *

Said the guy who put a Japanese engine in his Porsche. av-943.gif
gandalf_025
Don't drill holes in the hood, break off the pins
and use a good double sided tape to attach it..

That way it is removable if you don't like the placement.
Larmo63
I'm not a fan of the crest on a hood of a 914 Porsche.

I wouldn't do it.
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 19 2016, 07:31 AM) *

poke.gif And whose 40 year old Type 4 blew up on the way to a Rt66. shades.gif
dflesburg

LOL
luskesq
Pelican has a tech article on placement: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._hood_crest.htm

I happen to like the crest. To each their own (and it is your car).

Keith
DBCooper

It's the difference between "show" and "go". He chose "go". Reasonable choice.

Tom_T
If you're going to add a hood crest, then I personally feel that the lower spot as in this pic from above looks better than too high ....

IPB Image

IMHO the one on the 2 headlight 914-8 above just looks too high - rather than using the line across the high-point of the eyebrows as in dflesburg's pic above (or even a tad lower). You can also use the low point - from the bottom point of the crest to the bottom of the curve of the eyebrows/headlight-lids - rather than the centerline of the badge to the high point of the brow as in the yellow line on the pic above, since that may be easier to find than the badge center (essentially the same location, but possibly an easier measurement technique).

When using the suggested Porsche factory recco'ed position on 911/912/930 noted above as 3.25" (IIRC it's something like 80 or 86 mm in their factory manuals) - I would look visually at the distance on a `64-74 911/912 from the front of the full body-work (not just from the edge of the hood lid - the convenient measuring point), & then compare that to the full distance to the front of the 914's bumper/top-pad front edge - since it's all a continuous line on the 914s.

I think that Porsche designers came up with a 911/912 front hood emblem placement based upon the overall look & setback from the frontal bodywork - then used the measurement from the set hood front edge for that visually best & balanced location aas an easy means for factory workers & dealers/bodyshops to place them.

Our 914s have a different front edge & frontal look than the 64-74 911/912, due to the integrated front bumper (both steel & BUB) which flows continuously in one line - so the visually perfect spot is going to be a different measurement for the front edge of the hood by necessity.

Of course - as you can see from the posts so far - the placement is all in the eye of the beholder, & you'll see them from as low as they can get it to clear the frame on the underside of the front deck lid (hood) to the top back edge of the headlight covers.

So as Mark Epstein said, using a paper or decal temporarily to get "your perfect placement" is a great idea!

Also, I think gandolf's suggestion of using a modern automotive emblem adhesive is a better idea, than drilling 2 new "doors" for the dreaded "tin worm"! I actually was thinking of doing this on my resto too, so I can remove it if needed later on.

Obviously the crest has an attachment for you, so use it - but realize that the crest's up to 73-74 MY were the old school red-orange bands, then they switched over to the red-red bands in 74 on 911s IIRC.

Have Fun with it! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cairo94507
Gandalf 025 wins the prize. That is a perfect solution and keeps the hood intact in the event you want to remove the emblem. Most cars nowadays have their emblems double side tape affixed and they have no issues.
RickS
It's your car and do what you want. You know what they say about opinions...
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 19 2016, 07:45 AM) *

poke.gif And whose 40 year old Type 4 blew up on the way to a Rt66. shades.gif

It didn't "blow up". It was a valve guide, damn it!! laugh.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Feb 19 2016, 06:56 AM) *

My '74 came without any badges or emblems, so I've gathered them all and will install this weekend. I know not all 914's have the front hood badge, but I like the look. If someone could measure the distance I would appreciate it.

I just took the picture of the original 914 with the hood badge, drew a digital line across the hood and it appears as if they drew a straight line across from the corners of the headlight covers where it meets the eyebrows and that is where the point of the crest is.
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Not all Porsche crests are the same either. Get a pretty one. cheer.gif
Coondog
Honestly I never really paid any attention to the hood emblem. I always figured it was put on by the factory. My preferences always lean to debadging a car. When I back dated my bumpers I removed the 914-1.8 in the rear but never gave thought to the hood emblem.
Back in 1983 when my first 914 was totaled out by a piece of post-2-1117899824.gif driver the last thing I did was remove the very dented hood emblem which I still have today.
76-914
I've got a NOS badge still in the plastic bag. Came with the car. Do they have any value? confused24.gif
RickS
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 20 2016, 07:20 AM) *

I've got a NOS badge still in the plastic bag. Came with the car. Do they have any value? confused24.gif

Original Porsche sell for $70 on the bird.

You could list it for $45 easy.
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 20 2016, 10:20 AM) *

Old orange badge - yes, nos orange badge - YES!
Newer red badge - no
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 20 2016, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 20 2016, 10:20 AM) *

Old orange badge - yes, nos orange badge - YES!
Newer red badge - no

It's the RED one. If it were orange it would be in my safe. lol-2.gif
EdwardBlume
I had one that was gray blue....
stugray
I took mine off, filled the holes in the hood when I painted and put the emblem on my wall where it belongs.
siverson

That is funny.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 19 2016, 11:25 PM) *

Gandalf 025 wins the prize. That is a perfect solution and keeps the hood intact in the event you want to remove the emblem. Most cars nowadays have their emblems double side tape affixed and they have no issues.

Unless some scumbag punk uses a screwdriver to pry it off.
gandalf_025
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 20 2016, 03:42 PM) *

Do you really think a "scumbag punk" is going to know if the badge is taped on
and not pinned on just by looking at it from outside the car ??
TheCabinetmaker
Why, yes. I do. My car had the scratches and a big dent from someone who tried to steal my nutted badge. He obviously thought it was taped on.
KELTY360
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Feb 20 2016, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 20 2016, 03:42 PM) *

Do you really think a "scumbag punk" is going to know if the badge is taped on
and not pinned on just by looking at it from outside the car ??

Hell, a "scumbag punk" will probably wonder why there's a Porsche emblem on an X1/9. ar15.gif
Mark Henry
I kind of like this crest
IPB Image
bandjoey
lol-2.gif 37 posts over a stinking badge laugh.gif You know we don need no stinking badges man! piratenanner.gif

Oh yeah. Here's mine.
somd914
For each their own... Here's mine compliments of the PO... If it were a stock gold one, well, I think it would be off, but I like the silver.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 19 2016, 10:11 AM) *

12" forward of the front of the car.

Make up your mind McMark! You told me it goes under the right front tire! happy11.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 19 2016, 09:53 AM) *

I agree. A couple of my cars have had (or have) them. I don't like it. When Scottyb redid my Zambezi green car I had him remove it.

Of course, it's your car and you should do whatever you want! biggrin.gif
sb914
Click to view attachmentnot me !
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 21 2016, 09:51 AM) *

The factory never put it there either.
76-914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 20 2016, 04:19 PM) *

I kind of like this crest
IPB Image
Like that one. Kind of "outlaw" but again, somewhere else. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Broke down and installed a Porsche Crest to make my car feel better when parked.

Click to view attachment
76-914
And I placed mine in the classifieds this year after I welded up the holes. I also had a NOS badge still in the bag. They both sold very quickly. Who'da thunk they be in demand? confused24.gif
Johny Blackstain
Orange, on the back cool_shades.gif
Front yard mechanic
Put it on upside down everyone will talk about your car
emerygt350
I like the way it looks with the crest but I have two reasons not to:

1) I drive my car all over and that includes the grocery store. I wouldn't want to come out and see it's missing. Particularly if it's a sentimental piece.

2) PO apparently had one, I had to fix the scratches and stuff caused by the theft of his. Nobody wants to come out and see their car all messed up.
bbrock
I also like the look of the badge on some colors of 914 and am strongly leaning toward doing it for two reasons.

1) The Porsche design team officially voted to badge the car but the VW-Porsche marketing cluster prevented it from happening.

2) It really irritates a lot of people biggrin.gif

However, if I did it, I'd cut the posts off and mount with 3M trim tape. No way would I drill the hood.

A few weeks ago I took a drive in the car with a friend and let him drive it to a small town where we had lunch. As we ate outside next to the car, I asked what he thought about badging the car. His first question was whether it came from the factory with a badge. No, but then I told the story of the design team voting to badge but the car already being marketed as VW-Porsche in Europe so the badge never happened. A couple weeks later he says, "I've been thinking about the badge. I think you should do it." I tend to agree. I credit everything that is great about these cars to the design team and everything that is bad to the botched marketing. I like the idea of honoring the wishes of the design team even though I doubt many of them lost sleep over never seeing the badge on the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.