Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 TURBO CARRERA UPDATE 3/21/05
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
It's starting to come together, I have been busy fashioning the intercooler and will begin the duct work for the exit air out of the intercooler, I will be pulling the air through the intercooler via 2-7"electric fans and the exit air will be ducted through and past my transmission cooler and out behind the rear bumper. the fresh air will be coming in through a duct in my rear spoiler, I should have it all done in a few days. look at the pictures, the fans will be mounted underneth the IC, I placed them on top so you have an idea of the size of the IC.
iamchappy
Qarl
Make your pics bigger

800x600 at least!
iamchappy
iamchappy
Qarl
Your pics are the size of my penis after I got the Elise... very tiny!

iamchappy
iamchappy
There getting bigger.
iamchappy
I was going to composite them but got lazy.
Do you really want bigger pictures reposted?
Qarl
Yes... you can edit the post and reattach a larger version
iamchappy
I will do it later have to go pick up the kid.
Brando
In that thing? Fckin lucky kid!
redshift
Wow man... that is insane!(ly small!)

M
iamchappy
I have been busy, I am getting very close to getting this thing on the road. I still have the transmission cooler and pump to mount, then I am pretty much done. Just a little more work on the venting of the exit air out through and around the transmission cooler which will be mounted back behind the bumper area, I am shielding off the muffler with stainless steel to reflect the heat away from where I am mounting it. More pictures still to come.
iamchappy
iamchappy
iamchappy
Qarl
Why the plate with the holes for the fans?

You're partly blocking the air flow through the rest of the intercooler.

iamchappy
I works like a shroud so it pulls over the entire surface area of the intercooler otherwise the fans would only pull through the surface area they cover.
Mueller
damn...nice work pray.gif ...I'm never showing pictures of my car here again wacko.gif
iamchappy
Qarl, you cant see the depth between the intercooler and the plate with the fans very well in the pictures, it passed the suck the plastic bag to the top of the intercooler test very well.
MecGen
Amazing concept...
I hope you get flying real soon.. ar15.gif
cheers
joe

beerchug.gif
iamchappy
I talked to the dyno guys the other day and plan to get it up to them to dial it in with there wide band AR and get the boost retard set right. I think the car may obtain scary fast if I get it up to around 400HP but the safe boost level will determine that, I may need to add another injector if the 7th one I have now falls short of enrichment. maybe set an 8th injector to fire at 10lbs. I cant wait to find out. wacko.gif
Qarl
Okay... I didn't realize there was a space between the bottom of the intercooler and the plate.

I can see it a little better now that you have bigger pictures!

smilie_pokal.gif
iamchappy
Im getting real excited on coming down to visit next week, a real vacation this time, Elise rides are better than Disneyland. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
red914
you may get 400 horsepower, but you can't put the targa top in the trunk anymore. betcha didn't think of that, now did you!

my jealousy is making my stomach hurt. huh.gif i am going to go look at my car in the garage, on jack stands, with a big puddle of oil under it. i hope you are happy.
Maltese Falcon
Chappy, did you calc the CFM rate thru this IC unit ? It's a Spearco from Turbonetics , yes ? It looks somewhat borderline flow for the 3.0 ...the fans should help cool everything thru. Remember...too small an intercooler= big pressure drop in boost, you may loose 2 to 3 psi. mad.gif Hopefully not the case.
Marty
iamchappy
Marty, yes spearco core 1080 CFM good to 800hp made to be used on Grand Nationals.
maf914
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Mar 24 2005, 07:50 PM)
I works like a shroud so it pulls over the entire surface area of the intercooler otherwise the fans would only pull through the surface area they cover.

agree.gif Also without the shroud you would get short circuiting of the airflow around the end tips of the fan blades. Shrouds can really increase the efficiency when fans are used.

That is a fancy battery hold down you have there. Is that one of the bling-bling Optima billet thingies?
iamchappy
Ebay optima battery box buy, looks Bling, Bling, but very functional.
The intercooler is 3.5" thick with a surface area of 6 x 18, it uses a Spearco core from Turbotronics. flows up to 1080 cfm's so they say. I will have to crank it up to see how it works
ohmy.gif, it sure looks cool in the trunk, I cant help it I am becoming obsessive over the install, one thing seems to lead into another happy11.gif, I am fabricating up aluminum piping to replace the silicone hose now, and installing the transmission cooler. wacko.gif
Root_Werks
Truly amazing! Maybe someday I can stuff a 3.0 turbo in my six! smilie_pokal.gif Very inspiring!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.