Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So it's freaking raining.... and some questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
As some of you may be aware, for the last 4 days I've been in the middle of installing my XR700 ignition (the one hour install that's taken about 10 so far). I've gotten it so that the rotor points at the TDC #1 mark on the dizzy while the impeller is at the TDC #1 mark.
When turning the key, I can get the car to catch here and there, but it never runs. It coughs and sputs, but never actually runs.
I know my timing is probably way off, but how am I supposed to change it if it doesn't run? Do I just turn the dizzy until it runs, or....??

Also, before timing I need to calibrate the optical tirgger to the shutter. The directions say the LED should light up when the leading edge of the slit in the shutter aligns with the light beam, but one of the members here said the LED is infrared, therefore I won't be able to see it. How am I supposed to know when it's aligned properly?

Unfortunately, it's raining out there, so I can't work on my car right now. It's not so much that I care about getting wet as that I don't want water in my dizzy. Sigh. So hopefully any advice/tips given will contribute to the work I'll do tomorrow.

Thanks all,
Cole monkeydance.gif
Root_Werks
Cole, I wish I was there to help man. sad.gif

I haven't ever installed a Crane unit before. I have heard good things about them though. At this piont, I would almost say put those points back in.

Hey, stupid question, you took the condensor off right? wink.gif
gklinger
I had an XR700 in my 050 distributor before I went to a Mallory Unilite. As I remember it installed OK, not without some cussing. I just looked on Crane's website, and there are apparently two different units out there, one with a diagnostic LED, and one without. I know mine did not have one, but that was several years ago. I'm guessing that if your's is fairly new it does have this. Again, I'm guessing, but I would think this is on the control module itself. Anything on there that looks like an LED? I know the one on the HI-6 is not obvious...

There are two versions of the installation instructions on their site; both seem to be complete and have fairly easy to understand sections on adjusting the optical trigger. See page 13 on each of these:

With diagnostic LED Without diagnostic LED
wrpspddrvr
Thanks for the help fellas. We (friend and I) got it running..... for 45 seconds.
It sounded just like normal, but then it just turned off, never to be restarted. Sounds like there's no gas, but I know there is.

Sigh.

Cole monkeydance.gif
Root_Werks
If it helps Cole, I have a good used Pertronix unit. It came off a running 914. I sold the engine as a long block, so I just kept the unit. Some people don't like them, but easy 2 wire hook up. confused24.gif

Odd that your 914 started, ran and then died? Fuel is probably fine. Did you hear the fuel pump buzz for a few seconds when you first turn the key "on"?
SLITS
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Mar 23 2005, 07:46 AM)
Also, before timing I need to calibrate the optical tirgger to the shutter. The directions say the LED should light up when the leading edge of the slit in the shutter aligns with the light beam, but one of the members here said the LED is infrared, therefore I won't be able to see it. How am I supposed to know when it's aligned properly?

The infra red trigger is in the dizzy block and the shutter wheel runs between it.

The led is on the trigger unit that you mount to the firewall or ?. The wires coming from it.....3 go to the optical infrared trigger in the dizzy, 1 to ground, 2 to the coil (as I remember).

1. Do you have the coil connected correctly?

2. Is your tach connected to the correct terminal on the coil?

3. Does your fuel pump continue to run after first fire?

4. The timing can be to retarded.

5. Did you change the CHT.

6. Did the car run fine with points?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.