Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chop-Top Teener...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Eric_Shea
So... we were thinking the other day (dangerous). That a "chop-top" teener would be awesome. I think it would be a stunning car to chop. idea.gif

I was thinking it should be a narrow bodied car (meaning not GT flares) with some of Jon's flares in the back. Lowered with custom wheels and mongo meat stuffed in the fender wells. This one should have a full interior ala. rod and custom and have a monster (3.0) Jake motor in it. biggrin.gif

Who's game? Ya gotta have the dough. It's not a cheap project but, it would be one of the most stunning (IMHO) custom teeners on the planet.

Next? confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
they look gross chopped..... ohmy.gif sad.gif
Joe Bob
OK if ya got long legs and a short torso.....most chopped cars lower the seats....can't really do that in a '14....
CptTripps
The things I thought might be tough are...

The little triangle windows would need to be re-worked...or just chopped?

What Mike said...caint go much lower!

The targa-top would need to be longer. So a steel roof?
CptTripps
Here's the 'concept' drawing that I came up with...

I borrowed someone elses car pic...apologies to the 'donor car' biggrin.gif

user posted image

Here's the 'original' pic. Not that any of you don't know what a stock 914 looks like, but I thought I'd add it for good measure.

user posted image
Joe Bob
Looks cool...if ya can get the angles right and are Billy Barty....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Mar 23 2005, 09:14 AM)
Here's the 'concept' drawing that I came up with...

I borrowed someone elses car pic...apologies to the 'donor car' biggrin.gif

ewwwwww

skline would like it tho laugh.gif
CptTripps
Looks more 'Italian' with a chopped roof if you ask me. More like a Maserati or Ferrari Mondal. Maybe not. biggrin.gif
seanery
I like it.
I like Miles' roadster concept, too!
aircooledboy
It would be tough to pull off, and my 5'2" wife might be too tall to drive it with the top on, but Doug's illustration. . . . . . ME LIKEY, ME REALLY LIKEY drooley.gif w00t.gif
boxstr
Doug Can you take that same pic and remove the outside mirror and chrome for the v window?
Thanks
CCLINIBELEIVEINTHELOWERED
Root_Werks
I knew a guy once.... (Gotta love stories that start like that) that pulled the windshield frame back increasing the rake until the top of the frame was in line with the top of the roll bar. Then he fabbed in a roof section from another car and welded it all in. It was a v8 914 with many more body mods. I think if you just chop the top, it doesn't look right. But if you chop/rake the windshield AND flare it, it would probably look better? confused24.gif
Series9
I don't like chopped 914s, but the Ford van in the next driveway has a cool custom grill.... w00t.gif
Eric_Shea
I like it. Lots. wub.gif

Shuddddup Aaron. You're wrong... that's all there is to it. chair.gif

We're talking 1-2" I'll be willing to bet that most of you have that kind of headroom in your teener.

I'm with Craig... new side glass would be made and the non-vent window vent window would go away. The top is glass so you can effectively do "anything" to it and make it work.
CptTripps
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 23 2005, 11:57 AM)
I don't like chopped 914s, but the Ford van in the next driveway has a cool custom grill.... w00t.gif

Yeah yeah...I know...looke like the "Family Truckster" grill.

I'll try those mods on the pic and see what I can come up with.
DougC
Yes, I think it looks really cool. More like a vintage racer and would probably be better with big fat flares and a big Porsche 6, painted satin black..

Doug C
CptTripps
Try this...sans-mirror and chrome strip.

user posted image
DougC
Very thin seat cushions would be mandidtory but then a chop-top is an extreme idea and not for all. I think it gives it more of a , oh.. 917-ish look, particularly with flares. Another idea would be to cut the A pillars where they meet the cowling and move them forward a few inches and rake the windshield back a bit as someone already mentioned. This would add a more cab-forward appearance and a longer rear section like the factory racers. Just some thoughts..

Doug C
seanery
now we're getting somewhere!
Mueller
looks worse than the Volvo Bertone icon8.gif

hey I got an idea, lets' cut a few inches off of the top of my car so I'm even harder to see in traffic biggrin.gif
seanery
figures...I liked the Bertone coupes!
Eric_Shea
Don't worry Sean... Mueller's wrong too laugh.gif

Now, just imagine this with some of those famous Ghiaman flares! smash.gif

stones.gif drooley.gif
djm914-6
That yellow car is starting to progress nicely.

Now, do the Foose thing and remove the emblems and door handles, fill the notch left by the handle and drop the car down a bit.
GTeener
Too subtle.. You got to really chop & skew the top to make it look squat & tough laugh.gif
CptTripps
Naa...I think 2" would do the trick...that's why I only took that much out of the first pic.

If you want to go REAL extreme....I'd yank the targa bar and only have the windshield be about 12min tall.

Drive around with a leather hat and those cool goggles.
GTeener
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Mar 23 2005, 10:12 AM)
That yellow car is starting to progress nicely.

Now, do the Foose thing and remove the emblems and door handles, fill the notch left by the handle and drop the car down a bit.

Like this? laugh.gif
bondo
Haha, the more that gets done to it the more it looks like a bigger car than it really is. I think it might look cool to add some foreward rake to the front edge of the targa bar.. maybe.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 23 2005, 11:32 AM)
Haha, the more that gets done to it the more it looks like a bigger car than it really is. I think it might look cool to add some foreward rake to the front edge of the targa bar.. maybe.

like an X19!!! laugh.gif
CptTripps
Yeah, this thing is quickly going from classy to crassy...that last pic liike like a Jag...
GTeener
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 23 2005, 10:32 AM)
I think it might look cool to add some foreward rake to the front edge of the targa bar.. maybe.

confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
slant nose it and flare it! smilie_pokal.gif

or make the t/s humps half as tall
CptTripps
You are going to end up with a go-cart.

Getting Uglier by the min... IMHO
bondo
QUOTE (GTeener @ Mar 23 2005, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 23 2005, 10:32 AM)
I think it might look cool to add some foreward rake to the front edge of the targa bar.. maybe.

confused24.gif

Yeah, but more. Now it looks vertical instead of being slanted back. If it slanted forward it may look cool, but now I'm starting to think it would look silly smile.gif
GTeener
I'm all chopped out now wink.gif
lapuwali
Hrm. Years ago in St. Louis, there was a guy that showed up at every AX with a 914 that had the targa bar and windscreen removed. The dash was all metal, with a rounded hump for the gauges (looked like a 550, more or less). It actually looked pretty good. I think he also had a GT engine cover. Never talked to the guy. I wasn't into 914s at the time. License plate was F1 FAN, in case anyone there remembers the guy or the car.

Eric_Shea
Come-on Aaron... tow your ride up here. You know it's not gonna run again for another 2 years anyway. We'll trow that fender on there, chop the top and give you the full Foose treatment. Chickie-Poohs will love your hot little ride. You might even get laid (by somebody other than Slits) w00t.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 23 2005, 12:27 PM)
Come-on Aaron... tow your ride up here. You know it's not gonna run again for another 2 years anyway. We'll trow that fender on there, chop the top and give you the full Foose treatment. Chickie-Poohs will love your hot little ride. You might even get laid (by somebody other than Slits) w00t.gif

i just got back from driving it.....jerk rolleyes.gif LOL

it does need a fender and paint.... and no.... i have never had more then a conversation with slits, you fool laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
chairfall.gif
Mark Henry
I'm 6'-1" and I'm already thinking about making a lower seat pad.

Chop tops don't thrill me. icon8.gif screwy.gif
djm914-6
Back to that yellow car...
I agree with the slant nose, then add wider rear fenders and some large side intakes with slats. Change out the twist rims for stars add wide mirrors halfway up the A pillar drop in a flat 12 and you've got a nice ride. boldblue.gif
skline
Ok, about the yellow car, I worked hard on that car to make it look the way it did before you all started cutting and chopping and deforming it. Here is a picture you guys can play with that is already half way where you want to be with your suggestions.
Qarl
?? confused24.gif

Aaron Cox
quite possibly THE worst phot edit attempt ever!

"improper use of photoshop, lose posession of the mouse, and a 5 yard penalty" laugh.gif
Lou W
If you chop the top too much, I won't have room for my gun rack. w00t.gif
jd74914
chairfall.gif

Thats what you need one of these chopped for:
airsix
I want to see two things:

1: A very subtle chop-top. So subtle that you really have to study it before you realize what's different.
2: A 914 speedster - a true speedster with a REAL wrap-around speedster windscreen (like a 550 or a 356 speedster), not some cut-down or layed-back stock windscreen.

-Ben M.
neo914-6
Guess you guys missed this sawzall-smiley.gif chop thread...
GTeener
Now that is a real chopster
Qarl
quite possibly THE worst phot edit attempt ever!

I spent 10 seconds on it. Impressed?

I just wanted to add the truck top from the back....

screwy.gif
physician
anyone have pics of that 914 that was on german ebay few months ago?

it was sylver, no windshiels, targa bar, no doors... just a 6 inch screen for windscreen?

can't find it on my computer mad.gif

your first yellow shop teener was the best imo clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.