Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easy Carb set up, 73-2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
N_Jay
I am hoping to get my 914 back on the road after a LONG absence. (20+ years)

I have to drop out my 2.4 engine due to a valve problem and plan on putting back in a stock rebuilt 2.0 engine (originally D-Jetronic).
I don't trust the old FI and will only have a couple of weeks from start top finish, so I was thinking of just putting on a set of carbs as an easy fix to get it running.

My big engine has a pair of Dellorto cabs that are already a bit too big even for the 2.4, and need to be rebuilt, so again not a good solution.

I am looking at either a Dual 40 IDF setup or maybe one of the dual single barrel carb setups.

Anyone have any good suggestions. Cost is a concern, so I will probably be looking at the Chinese carbs, EMPI or Webber copies.

Thanks in advance.
iwanta914-6
Is there something wrong with the stock FI? Most people seem to prefer to keep the FI if at all possible.
N_Jay
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 2 2016, 01:46 PM) *

Is there something wrong with the stock FI? Most people seem to prefer to keep the FI if at all possible.

The FI has been off the car for over 20 years. It will only take one bad part to kill the project.

Do the carbs just not work well, or is it an originality thing?
Mikey914
Actually the D jet is more robust than many give it credit. I would check the viability of the injection before scrapping it. Carbs sound cool, but unless you have a cam for them you will more than likely not realize any hp gain. Many have went to carbs, but now these cars are actually starting to appreciate in value, they are not necessarily increasing your cars value.

Just my .02.
N_Jay
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 2 2016, 02:04 PM) *

Actually the D jet is more robust than many give it credit. I would check the viability of the injection before scrapping it. Carbs sound cool, but unless you have a cam for them you will more than likely not realize any hp gain. Many have went to carbs, but now these cars are actually starting to appreciate in value, they are not necessarily increasing your cars value.

Just my .02.

I certainly understand. I expect to end up with FI on the 2.0 and/or good carbs on the 2.4 sometime down the road.

I am just concerted with about a 2 week window of after-work and weekend time that I will get eth engines swapped, sort out a few problems (there are always problems when a car has sat for so long) and then find I am a few working parts short of a running car when my time window slams shut.

I am not expecting any extra HP from a carb set-up on a engine with an FI cam.
Just an quick and easy way to get it on the road.

P.S. As for originality, the car has a 930 front suspension, rear hubs redrilled for 5 lugs and 911S hats and calipers. I forget is I changed the master cylinder over to the larger 911 part. (it was on the list)
abes914
for me, i wont buy chinese carbs. potential problems with quality and you lose value if you try to sell it in the future. create a wtb add and see what comes up? single carb set up can be have for a low price. although single carbs are looked down upon here for good reasons.

btw
i have a bus carbs on mine
N_Jay
QUOTE(abes914 @ Mar 2 2016, 02:46 PM) *

for me, i wont buy chinese carbs. potential problems with quality and you lose value if you try to sell it in the future. create a wtb add and see what comes up? single carb set up can be have for a low price. although single carbs are looked down upon here for good reasons.

btw
i have a bus carbs on mine

Which carbs are the Bus Carbs? Dual single barrel 34mm?

Is that enough Carburetor?

I have been reading a lot about the Chinese carbs. Seems the ones from the reputable sellers are decent and fit all the Webber parts and jets.

I don't think I will be selling that car. I have had it since 1986 and have far more time sweat and blood in it than it is worth to sell.

My eventual goal is to have it styled like the 914-8 in the Porsche museum.
At that point I would love to put a modern (late 80's 90's) FI 911 motor in it for everyday driving and weekend touring.
Darren C
Hi N Jay,

I needed to get my 2.0 litre running reasonably quickly following it being off the road for over 7 years. The FI was full of issues with wiring loom, ECU, fuel pump and all the hoses rotted out. I had a set of new unused Chinese Weber 40IDF's left over from my VW bug days. As a no cost (to me) option I fitted them to the 14 and got it running.
Problem was it just wouldn't tune nicely. The balance was out between carbs wildly and one mixture screw had no effect at all.
I spent hours and many days trying to set them up, swaping out parts and tried everything.
In the end, I paid top dollar and bought a set of genuine Webers.
The difference was massive. Easy to tune and balance and everything was much, much better made.
Having the chinese copies side by side with genuine webers is a real eye opener.

Following my experience I would never buy cheap chinese carbs ever again. Total waste of money and false economy.
N_Jay
QUOTE(Darren C @ Mar 2 2016, 03:19 PM) *

Hi N Jay,

I needed to get my 2.0 litre running reasonably quickly following it being off the road for over 7 years. The FI was full of issues with wiring loom, ECU, fuel pump and all the hoses rotted out. I had a set of new unused Chinese Weber 40IDF's left over from my VW bug days. As a no cost (to me) option I fitted them to the 14 and got it running.
Problem was it just wouldn't tune nicely. The balance was out between carbs wildly and one mixture screw had no effect at all.
I spent hours and many days trying to set them up, swaping out parts and tried everything.
In the end, I paid top dollar and bought a set of genuine Webers.
The difference was massive. Easy to tune and balance and everything was much, much better made.
Having the chinese copies side by side with genuine webers is a real eye opener.

Following my experience I would never buy cheap chinese carbs ever again. Total waste of money and false economy.

How long ago? Hoe old were the carbs?
Were they complete knockoffs, or were they from a (supposedly) respectable distributor like Webber US or EMPI?
Darren C
Only last year, the chinese ones were BRAND new.

Came from a reputable VW Empi dealer just south of Compton CA. Sold as good quality budget "weber's" which take all genuine weber parts.

Heres a couple of photos.

Chinese Weber clones poor quality.

IPB Image

Swapped for Real Weber 40IDF carbs

IPB Image

The pictures aren’t great (as they weren’t taken to show carb comparison) but clear enough to see the basic differences in the carb body castings.
abes914
hi n jay

i got my carb from my buddies bus. it is solex kadron. single barrel dual carbs. roughly 250.00 4 years ago.

put an add here and see what types people are willing to let go or check the samba

i have a pair of webers but i am planning to use it to test/play with an extra engine i have
N_Jay
QUOTE(Darren C @ Mar 2 2016, 03:34 PM) *

Only last year, the chinese ones were BRAND new.

Came from a reputable VW Empi dealer just south of Compton CA. Sold as good quality budget "weber's" which take all genuine weber parts.

Thanks.

Guess they are hit and miss.
Found a lot of people who won't touch them, some with experience some repeating what others have said.
Then I found a lot that said they work great with no problems.

Looks like it is about a $200 hit to get the Redline kit over the Webber US (Chinese carbs) kit.

Will place the ad, as I have a few months till the project starts.

I can go cheaper with the dual single barrel kit, so I may go that way. I know it will run like a VW.

abes914
didnt they tell you, 914 is a NARP!

i just installed velocity stack and it feels much better and more responsive!
N_Jay
QUOTE(abes914 @ Mar 2 2016, 04:16 PM) *

didnt they tell you, 914 is a NARP!

i just installed velocity stack and it feels much better and more responsive!

NARP?

Just figured it out; Not A Real Porsche.

Nothing new I used to have a 924, so my joke was; "I only joined the PCA because the Audi and VW clubs would not have me!"

In reality the 924 and 914 have more in common with the 356 than any Porsche since.

The 356 was the best sports car Dr. Porsche could build out of the VW parts bin at the time.
The 914 and 924 followed the same philosophy.
struckn
If you go to carbs, besides the Cam change (which is a major thing because you have to basically tear the engine down and split the case to get 'er done right0 you also will need to change the Fuel pump from the 30psi (for FI) to a 3psi for Carbs.

I have a single Weber 2 barrel progressive Carb 32/36 with electric choke that was installed during a complete engine rebuild by Tony at Translog GT. It's been 3 years running flawlessly. May not be the fastest 1.8 but I confident it will run for many years with no major problems.

https://youtu.be/H4t0M2wrhu8

Doug
N_Jay
QUOTE(struckn @ Mar 2 2016, 05:33 PM) *

If you go to carbs, besides the Cam change (which is a major thing because you have to basically tear the engine down and split the case to get 'er done right0 you also will need to change the Fuel pump from the 30psi (for FI) to a 3psi for Carbs.

I have a single Weber 2 barrel progressive Carb 32/36 with electric choke that was installed during a complete engine rebuild by Tony at Translog GT. It's been 3 years running flawlessly. May not be the fastest 1.8 but I confident it will run for many years with no major problems.

https://youtu.be/H4t0M2wrhu8

Doug

Yep, I am NOT splitting the case.
The engine is a "fresh" rebuild that I ran about a year before building the 2.4 carbureted engine. It has been on the shelf since 1990 or so.

I already have a low pressure pump on the car from the Dellardos on the big engine with the bad valve. (Broke an exhaust valve spring at the '92 San Diego Parade.) (Yes, the car has been off the road that long)
rmital
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=277641

if you just want to move it around...these will work.
until you get moving onto your ultimate plan?

but yeah, they will not delivery the power you like from a 2.0L
...just functional carbs to move the car around.
914 Ranch
I put twin singles on the cars at the first sing of FI problems. I use the Empi twin Solex's. With a stock cam will get you there and get you good MPG. I have had them in 4 cars and the 34 webbers get better MPG. Two cars drove to and from the WCR 06 in Portland from L.A. and on the return trip both cars got over 40 MPG.

Joe Sharp
ndfrigi
just to share also, I sold my friend's 73 1.7 with single carb last thanksgiving and the buyer flew from Ohio to pick up the car. Then same day of thanksgiving the new owner with his wife drove the car to Vegas. Within 5 days they drove the car to Ohio for around 2,600 miles. They said they were running between 75 to 85 mph during their trip.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

and check this thread just posted now.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=59159&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.