Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not too bad a job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Well, despite what everyone said I cut out the badly damaged panel and welded in a new piece. I had the piece laying around and it seemed the right thing to use it for. Here are the results. Not too bad for my first time. Here is the spot cut out.
skline
Here is the panel welded in. One low spot on the very rear top part of the panel. I will try hammer and dolly to get it closer.
skline
From the rear looking forward.
skline
The part I was worried wouldnt come out right. Very nice. smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
Looks good Scott. Now hold a piece of copper or Brass behind those holes and weld them up. Looks like you'll have very little filler now.
skline
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 23 2005, 04:04 PM)
Looks good Scott. Now hold a piece of copper or Brass behind those holes and weld them up. Looks like you'll have very little filler now.

Ok, This is the first time I have tried this on a car. I used to do production welding but never on a car. Could you elaborate on that a little with an explanation of why? I am always up for good free advice.
Aaron Cox
looks good!

maybe i can bribe you to do my front fender idea.gif name your price smile.gif
Rand
I'm guessing that holding some brass behind it will let you fill the hole easily because it will support the weld without sticking and thus welding said support piece to the fender. Haven't tried that... I usually do a couple of short tack bursts to build it across, but I can see how this trick would make it easier to lay down a nice consistent flat base.

seanery
Looks really good Scott!

The copper or the brass won't mix with the rod, so you can fill the holes.
skline
Ok, I will try that. My goal is to get this part done today and then DA the whole car and get it ready to paint. Still have some spots to smooth out on other areas of the car. I will get it all in primer for the WCC and then afterwards I will take the car down to Mexico with the engine removed and have them paint the whole car. It only took me 2 hours to cut out the old dented panel and weld this one in. I didnt think that was too bad.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (seanery @ Mar 23 2005, 04:13 PM)
Looks really good Scott!

As the other guy's said. It allows the holes to be bridged easier. Helps reduce the over heating and resulting panel warpage. Acts like a heat sink.
skline
I guess I did ok, I got very little warpage. The only place I did was that top rear corner. There was a little more of a gap there and the metal shrank or something and seperated. I tried pushing it up with my hand in the glove but it got hot pretty quick. That is why I was going to hammer and dolly it more into shape.
spunone
Scott let me know if ya need some copper or brass sheet I have some pcs and I can ups tommorow to ya .CYA smash.gif
skline
Thanks for the offer, I got it handled. All the holes welded up and hammered and dollied it till it was pretty nice. Now I am applying the filler for the parts that were not so smooth. Should be done or really close tonightt. I will take pictures of the finished panel. Gimme just another hour or so. The sun is going down now so Iw ill have to close the garage door soon so as not to upset the neighbors with the grinding and sanding.
watsonrx13
QUOTE (seanery @ Mar 23 2005, 07:13 PM)
Looks really good Scott!

Great idea... now, how will he hold the brass/copper and weld at the same time?

BTW, my 800th post...
skline
I had a piece about 2x8 that I clamped to the metal with some fancy vice grips with big jaws. Then I just welded in the holes one at a time. Did a lower one, then went to the other side and did one and then came back and did a top one and so on till they were all done. Piece of cake. Thanks for the tips guys.
skline
Ouch!!! There is nothing like the feel of a wire wheel racing across your knuckles to wake you right up. Damn that hurts!! ohmy.gif
McMark
Nice job Scott! Looks great! clap.gif
Allan
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 23 2005, 09:05 PM)
Ouch!!! There is nothing like the feel of a wire wheel racing across your knuckles to wake you right up. Damn that hurts!! ohmy.gif

Yep, feels like crap. Really after the first douse of soapy water. wink.gif
skline
I didnt put anything on it yet, I have too much to do yet before cleaning up. The blood is just running down my hand and clotting so it will push any bacteria out as it bleeds. Right?

biggrin.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 23 2005, 11:28 PM)
I didnt put anything on it yet, I have too much to do yet before cleaning up. The blood is just running down my hand and clotting so it will push any bacteria out as it bleeds. Right?

biggrin.gif

Yeah you should be fine. But just to be safe... when you are all done working, be sure and scrub that area with thinner to get it good and clean. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.