Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler conversion for a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
OK so I have a used stainless Dansk muffler that I will be using on my six and I have to do something about the single "out" pipe because it is really twisted and bent up pretty bad, but the rest of the muffler is really nice. I'd like to do the conversion to "2 out" pipes and have a question or two. First, what size pipes should I be using for a stock 2.7L engine with CIS? Smaller pipe is more restrictive, will the 2.7 benifit from that or should I go for less restrictive. There may not even be enough of a difference to notice, I don't know. Also, will I be able to find this pipe in stainless? I guess the best place to get it is at a muffler shop? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Doug C
Joe Bob
Depends....are you gonna do a two out pipe at each end of the banana? Or are ya gonna do the two center exit sport muff version?

The center exit sport muff version also has been done with the stock end STILL used. What this allows....along with the internal mods ....is the capping of one or two of the exits to modulate noise....

Someplace there is a schematic on how to do a Sport Muff mod....unless someone else has it handy.

You might wanna try and post on the PParts 911 board for the text....or do a search of the help articles over there.
DougC
(LOL) thanks Mike, and I was considering buying Manfred from you.. No, I already have the sceamatic and diagram that you're referring to but they don't address my questions. BTW, I should have said I wanted the center pipes configuration for the Sport Muffler look. Basically, I was looking for any opinions on the effects of pipe diameter in regards to a stock 2.7 w/CIS. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a sport muffler in a recent Excellence with a capped off stock pipe, just not sure I liked the look though. I hope the sport muffler doesn't end up being too,too loud. Thanks for the suggestions!

Doug C
Joe Bob
Go two inch....you can always use supertrapp diffusers on the ends if too loud or cap one.

user posted image
dinomium
I wonder if the /4 banana is the same inside? idea.gif
I have welder and a banana just sitting there in the shop...
Joe Bob
Open it up and find out.....take pics and post the results.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (dinomium @ Mar 24 2005, 10:19 AM)
I wonder if the /4 banana is the same inside? idea.gif
I have welder and a banana just sitting there in the shop...

i just thought the same thing!
dinomium
sounds like I need my own Plasma torch...
Joe Bob
What do ya think about a SINGLE oval type exit in the middle ala Boxster?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 24 2005, 10:30 AM)
What do ya think about a SINGLE oval type exit in the middle ala Boxster?

do it!

we can critcize you later rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
Joe Bob
Oh thanks....a heap. Was thinking of a different look on Frank for the rear.....the engine likes back pressure but it needs a center outlet just to be different....duals would be too....50s....

JmuRiz
Could do duals in the middle, like a boxster S huh.gif
maf914
When you look at the stock muffler, you can trace the exhaust flow into the main chamber, through the short pipe, through the long pipe and through the various chambers. You can sort of see how this single muffler is really a series of pipe and mufflers. Someone probably spent a lot of time testing and experimenting to come up with this.

When you look at the modified sport muffler, you can see the exhaust flow enter the main chamber and then exit the main chamber. All of the internal pipe, chambers, baffles, etc. are now just along for the ride.

Makes me wonder why you even start with a muffler and not just a blank steel tube? idea.gif
dinomium
QUOTE (maf914 @ Mar 24 2005, 11:33 AM)
When you look at the stock muffler, you can trace the exhaust flow into the main chamber, through the short pipe, through the long pipe and through the various chambers. You can sort of see how this single muffler is really a series of pipe and mufflers. Someone probably spent a lot of time testing and experimenting to come up with this.

When you look at the modified sport muffler, you can see the exhaust flow enter the main chamber and then exit the main chamber. All of the internal pipe, chambers, baffles, etc. are now just along for the ride.

Makes me wonder why you even start with a muffler and not just a blank steel tube? idea.gif

agree.gif look at that!
I am thinking that if you do this the way it is shown, you will have some really heavy straight pipes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.