Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any six cylinder guys have an answer to this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thorshammer
So heres the deal.

This alternator shaft weighs a ton and I don't need no stinking amps, so I gutted the housing, now I want to gut this thing. I have tried turning on my lathe, but the casing seems really hard. maybe heat treated over the years??? Any suggestions, someone make a shaft to eliminate this piece, probably do I'm just too stupid to know, it's killing me, HELP!!!!! Motor must go in on saturday.

Erik
J P Stein
Humm....you have a lathe?......Make a new shaft. The only problem I see is a new key way. Woodruf keys are a PITA.

Take a Rockwell reading, take the reading to a machine supply house and tell them you want a cutter for your lathe that can deal with it. If it's below 45C, it shouldn't be a problem.
gaz914
The "thing" is called a rotor.
Apart from the electrical properties (which it sounds like you don't want), the rotor dimensions keep the bearings in the right place.

The "claws" (rusty looking bits) can be pressed off toward the threaded end, although you really need a suitable plate that supports the ends of the "claw" as you press it out. Probably more trouble then its worth for a "one off".

I would think the easiest way would be to turn up a "dummy" shaft, making sure there was a shoulder for the front bearing retainer. This is what the nut tightens up on when you put the fan belt on so there is a fair bit of force on it.

Then it is a simple matter turn the shaft down to suit the back bearing and your done.
Thorshammer
I tried to press the shaft off of the rotor, made tool and everything. I had 35 ton on it and it went no where. So I cut the fingers off and turned the exterior down on the lathe. Just needed some carbide cutters. Did'nt have any. This would be something nice to make. I may spin up a couple of these. May not need a key way since the load is limited.

Erik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.