Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triad Exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
Hello guys. Does anyone have a sound clip of a six with Triad exhaust? Does anyone know if they have an exhaust drone on a six? Seems like alot of the dual exhaust mufflers have a 2.5-3k drone dry.gif ...

Thanks in advance! smile.gif
AndyB
If you want an exhaust go with CFR. If you are looking for noise and hope your " seat of the pants Dyno" is working then go with a muffler. I have experienced both. Hands down I would go for the exhaust.
Steve
I have a triad on factory heat exchangers with my 3.2. I love it. I have not noticed any drone crap. The only issue I had was the tips were pointing down around 45 degrees, so I had them cut off and welded back on straight. Otherwise it is lower in general compared to a Bursch or similar turbo muffler.
PanelBilly
https://youtu.be/eDE43FQlF_w
Justinp71
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 19 2016, 09:56 PM) *

Thanks!
rgalla9146
Man, the blue 914 6 in the video needs a valve adjustment !
PanelBilly
https://youtu.be/7_2BvlGsYSI

Don't even have 20 miles on this car yet
Steve
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 23 2016, 02:27 PM) *

Thanks!

Curious are you worried about it being too loud? It is quieter than a sport muffler and about the same as my single outlet turbo muffler. It does sound better than a single exit exhaust. I could record it this weekend, but a stock DME 3.2, will never sound as good as webers.
campbellcj
I have one but have not used it much. On my car I didn't notice any drone though, and it seemed to sound good and not be too loud. It is harder to gauge exhaust sound with my car though as the carbs and engine are extremely loud.
PanelBilly
Next week the sun is suppose to come out and I have an appointment for an alignment. I'll pay more attention to the possibility of drone and get back to you
Justinp71
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 23 2016, 09:20 PM) *

I have one but have not used it much. On my car I didn't notice any drone though, and it seemed to sound good and not be too loud. It is harder to gauge exhaust sound with my car though as the carbs and engine are extremely loud.

What do you typically run for exhaust?
Justinp71
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 23 2016, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 23 2016, 02:27 PM) *

Thanks!

Curious are you worried about it being too loud? It is quieter than a sport muffler and about the same as my single outlet turbo muffler. It does sound better than a single exit exhaust. I could record it this weekend, but a stock DME 3.2, will never sound as good as webers.

Thanks for the info. Loud is good, I like it. But on my magnaflow set-up I have now it makes good power, but has almost an ear piecing drone from 2.5-3k. I normally keep the rpms up above 3k. It should be fairly obvious if you have a drone i'd think.
campbellcj
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 24 2016, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 23 2016, 09:20 PM) *

What do you typically run for exhaust?

Normally open megaphones. I also have a stainless M&K "911R" 2-in/2-out that is on the car now - I prefer its looks and sound and my car seems to run better with that one vs the Triad (less backpressure I think). The M&K is also much louder, but i have a cap for one outlet when desired. Bear in mind my engine is extremely non-stock and built for top-end.

I bought the Triad thinking I could quiet the car down and meet Laguna Seca 92dB sound but that's hopeless with this car without also closing-up the induction and probably modifying much more.

Sooo, I may be up for selling the Triad but I know this isn't the classifieds...
larryM

exh drone is just an artifact of modifying our sixes

many threads about this over the yrs

no "magic" headers or mufflers or megaphones to be had at any price

it is always worse with the top on

most of us just live with it, in trade for ostensible performance gains

- stock factory headers & muffler is the best we are ever going to get

- maybe the oem designers knew what they were doing???

- many of us are 'way beyond stock setup (for very practical reasons)

there is no solution - seek it diligently

p.s. - Daron & I have discussed this at length
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.