Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bleeding Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gromicko
I recently had all 4 calipers on my 1971 914 rebuilt because it had been sitting for decades. The brakes worked, but stuck, and a had a small leak. I put the calipers back on, but now can't get brake fluid to flow through the lines in order to bleed the brakes. I've tried a hand vacuum pump on the bleeder screws, even disconnected the lines at the calipers. The reservoir is full, but I can get the fluid to flow. Can I hook up an electric high vacuum pump to the lines? I'm afraid I'll damage the rebuilt calipers. Any suggestions? Can you send instructions?

Thank you,

Greg
stugray
Replace the flex lines.
They swell internally and block the flow.
dangrouche
Bird board bleeding procedure

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...leed_brakes.htm
tomrev
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Mar 19 2016, 06:46 AM) *

New MC's frequently want to be bench bled, to get fluid flowing, before even installing in the car. I do it over my parts cleaner, with plastic lines going right back into the res.,cycle it till it flows, then clean up, and installing the car. It can be frustrating!
Bulldog9
As Stu said, if you havent yet, replace the flex lines. Also I've found the vacuum or pull method less effective than the push. I bought one of those 'push' bleeders and it works outstanding. Comes with adapters for other vehicle MC as well. Just make sure you clamp the MC overflow line.
Gromicko
Thank you all. I will replace the flex lines and try the pressure bleeding.

Greg
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Mar 19 2016, 11:54 AM) *

I bought one of those 'push' bleeders and it works outstanding.

agree.gif I bought one of these: http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL0...amp;SVSVSI=9144

It works like a champ and ends up being a one man operation. The family is glad that I don't have to draft them into helping with the bleeding operation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.