Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 992 pounds, German, midengine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I knew 550s were light, but man, that is crazy light!

There is a nice little article in the current Panorama 550 vs 2005 Box S.
They list the dry weight of a 550 at 992 lbs! ohmy.gif

I want one sooooo bad!
ChrisReale
Damn, there are people that weigh that much icon8.gif
fiid
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Nooooo!!!! No pics of 900 pound people!!!! icon8.gif
ChrisReale
sorry....user posted image
r_towle
Had to
tommy914
QUOTE (seanery @ Mar 25 2005, 05:30 PM)

Since I'll never be able to drive a real one, I have to say, on Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed, the 550 was a real handful. Must have been the skinny tires. Or maybe the data model was wrong.
ken914
Something was screwy about that number. They said 992 lbs dry and over 1200 with 24 gallons of gas in it. Gas only weights 6 lbs per gallon! Must be some of that German math, where less is more...

fiid
chairfall.gif lmao. Guess I asked for that.
lapuwali
QUOTE (seanery @ Mar 25 2005, 02:30 PM)

There is a nice little article in the current Panorama 550 vs 2005 Box S.

I want one sooooo bad!

Dunno why anyone should be so surprised at this. A 550 tube frame is pretty insubstantial, and the engine and gearbox are both very light units. Consider a Formula Ford is about 1000lbs, and it has an iron-block engine in it that's much heavier than a Type I or a four-cam. A modern F-Ford probably has a heavier frame, in fact, just because of crash protection concerns that didn't exist in the 50s.

A winning Formula SAE car is now under 500lbs. Some are under 450lbs, and that's with four-wheel brakes, full suspension, and full rollover protection. They get to be lighter even than the 550 mostly because they're single-seaters, and the engine/gearbox package is usually under 150lbs. SCCA A-Mod AX class rules specify a 750lb minimum weight, and there are several cars built right to that limit. Bowland, Whittle, and others are using two-stroke watercraft engines now to remove weight.

Demick
QUOTE (ken914 @ Mar 25 2005, 03:07 PM)
Something was screwy about that number. They said 992 lbs dry and over 1200 with 24 gallons of gas in it. Gas only weights 6 lbs per gallon! Must be some of that German math, where less is more...

Bonehead who calculated that assumed that gasoline weighs the same as water.

Water: 8.33 lbs/gal
Gasoline: 5.8-6.5 lbs/gal

Makes a big difference

Demick
Jeroen
did you ever stand up close and personal with a 550?
they're scarry small, so small in fact that the driver more sits ON it than in it
URY914
I got my work cut out for me.
OK, 991 lbs is my new goal. sawzall-smiley.gif

Paul biggrin.gif
redshift
lol

smilie_pokal.gif Go Paul!

I like the 962 streeter better.

M
jd74914
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 25 2005, 05:25 PM)
they're scarry small, so small in fact that the driver more sits ON it than in it

I've sat in some replicas. I agree, they are really, really, really small. I still really want to build one. The only problem is that I'm 6'2" and still growing. I guess I'll just have to sacrifice and do a 356 sad.gif
grantsfo
There isnt much to them. There were a few that use to show up to AX's back in the 1970's and they flew. Made 914's look big.
Trekkor
This guy is very fast up in Sonoma.

KT
Trekkor
cool.gif
Demick
Yep - one of these days when I have enough shop/garage space I'm going to build myself one of those.

Demick
ChrisReale
I like. Who makes the replica's? Beck's? One of those with a wild RAT 4 banger would be fun
Trekkor
If I ever built one, I'd do a SIX. ohmy.gif

KT
URY914
Gunnar built a batch of them and put Type-1's in them. confused24.gif barf.gif
sixnotfour
Trekkor's a SIX addict, may need to plan an intervention before he goes to 3.6 laugh.gif laugh.gif
KaptKaos
You sure it wasn't 992 Kilos?

I had read that they were about 1500 pounds with a full tank, so that 998 kilos would be with driver (and passenger?).
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 25 2005, 08:32 PM)
If I ever built one, I'd do a SIX. ohmy.gif

KT

Like this one?

user posted image
Trekkor
drooley.gif

550Club.com here I come...

KT
Gustl
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Mar 26 2005, 03:45 AM)
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 25 2005, 05:25 PM)

I've sat in some replicas. I agree, they are really, really, really small. I still really want to build one. The only problem is that I'm 6'2" and still growing. I guess I'll just have to sacrifice and do a 356 sad.gif

agree.gif I've seen this one last week at the Munich fair (it's an original car, started at the '55 Mille Miglia)

user posted image

I'm about 6'4" and the 550 looked like a toycar to me biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure that 992 lbs is correct - I mean, 992 kilos would be more than a standard 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.