Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 924 wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Yoei66
A co-worker has offered to give me a set of 1978 924 wheels. Will they fit a 914? They are four bolt pattern.
Root_Werks
Nope, 914's are like 130mm bolt pattern, 924's are the VW 90mm or whatever it is.
Mueller
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Mar 25 2005, 03:37 PM)
A co-worker has offered to give me a set of 1978 924 wheels. Will they fit a 914? They are four bolt pattern.

no, wrong bolt pattern, you need 4x130
Dave_Darling
Sure, they'll fit! As long as you can ar15.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif ..... biggrin.gif

Just ask Mueller--you can even fit "ricer" wheels if you put your mind (and machine tools) to it!

--DD
Yoei66
HHmmmm, dry.gif Maybe I'll take a look at these things to see if I can measure , and if I even want them, don't know what they even look like. Same guy says he has two sets of phone dials collecting dust. Phone dials would me a little $, and really be cool. However, being a newbe to this whole 914 thing, Idon't think I want to jump into a five lug conversion. smoke.gif
Mueller
the phonedials are nice rims and look great on 914's....how are your brake rotors? If you need new brakes, you might as buy Erics new 5 lug conversion kit which uses the stock front hubs and redrilled rear hubs.

Yoei66
Rear rotors replaced less than 5000 miles ago.
Mueller
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Mar 25 2005, 05:10 PM)

actually, for the 5 lug conversion, you can re-drill the rear rotors on a drill press, they don't have to be "that" accurate...the hard parts are the front hubs/rotors and the rear hubs......of course then you need to replace the rear wheel bearings and those are not cheap....
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 25 2005, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Mar 25 2005, 05:10 PM)

actually, for the 5 lug conversion, you can re-drill the rear rotors on a drill press, they don't have to be "that" accurate...the hard parts are the front hubs/rotors and the rear hubs......of course then you need to replace the rear wheel bearings and those are not cheap....

"they don't have to be "that" accurate..." I'm surprised at your statement, Mike! If you want them to be both safe and smooth running, they should be indexed on a mill and done right. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong ......... The Cap'n
Mueller
to me, being "not accurate" is within +/- .010" smile.gif

mabey I'm spoiled and my drill press is a little more accurate than most biggrin.gif
Yoei66
So, I think these phone dials are 15x7. Still jest investigating this, and the cost & work of converting to five lug, but will 15x7 phone dial rims require any modification to fenders or sheetmetal? dry.gif

I've noticed a couple posts of 914 w/ phone dials, and really liked them.

Now it's too late. I've fell into 914 world, and I can't get up. This is like Hotel California, no escape!! blink.gif
scotty b
Go for the phone dials you'll be happier in the end. There is a reason the 924 wheels are cheap! I have 2 sets of them I can't give away sad.gif I'm going to get the tires off and sell them for scrap. Probably $25 in my pocket cool.gif
Aaron Cox
make sure the phone dials have the right offset 23 vs 53mm
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 26 2005, 09:36 AM)
make sure the phone dials have the right offset 23 vs 53mm

you can use the 53mm offset rims, just make sure the price reflects the fact that you'll want to run ~.75" spacers in the rear and 1" spacers in the front...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.