Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Subaru/Boxster adapter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Krom
Precision Chassis Works isn't making their adaptors any more. Any of you good folks have one of their setups laying around your garage?

IPB Image
matthepcat
Are you planning a very high HP build? If not, why not use a WRX transmission that bolts up and can be converted to run on the front drive axles only?
madmax914
agree.gif
The late model 5MT's are surprisingly stout little transaxles.
Krom
The 5MT would be fine, except it's a bit long for my application, and I don't want to go transverse. The Boxster tranny is essentially the Audi 012 which is very short and abundant. Here's what it's going in:

IPB Image
matthepcat
The 5MT is too long with the tail cone removed and a bremar sleeve installed?

http://www.bremarauto.com/products/subaru-...conversion-kit/

Can't image it would be any longer than Boxster.

Some Suby conversion guys could take a measurement here on the board for you.
914forme
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Mar 24 2016, 10:01 PM) *

It is longer by inches. Enough that I could see issues, it has made me think about a Audi/Boxster unit a lot, not doing it. Unless I go with an audi/Porsche engine.
So if Precision is not doing the adapters anymore did you ask what it would cost for the File? Get them CNCed up, and you have your adapter. In reality it would be $$$$ unless you have access to CNC gear. But if you really want it, then I say go for it.

Did you try Kennedy? they do an LS to Audi Kit, they have the patterns they might be able to work this on out for you.

In reality I would try to make the 5MT work, cheap, bolts right up, lots of clutch choices, tons of knowledge, and 1000s of rations, and numbers LSDs. All very good for what you are doing. And if you get a generation 2 unit, you can lay lots of power to the trans.
Krom
I think that you're right about going all Subbie. In addition to the bell-housing adapter, it looks like a custom flywheel will be necessary.... the costs are mounting rapidly. A lot of trouble to save four inches.
Mueller
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 25 2016, 07:00 AM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Mar 24 2016, 10:01 PM) *

It is longer by inches. Enough that I could see issues, it has made me think about a Audi/Boxster unit a lot, not doing it. Unless I go with an audi/Porsche engine.
So if Precision is not doing the adapters anymore did you ask what it would cost for the File? Get them CNCed up, and you have your adapter. In reality it would be $$$$ unless you have access to CNC gear. But if you really want it, then I say go for it.

Did you try Kennedy? they do an LS to Audi Kit, they have the patterns they might be able to work this on out for you.

In reality I would try to make the 5MT work, cheap, bolts right up, lots of clutch choices, tons of knowledge, and 1000s of rations, and numbers LSDs. All very good for what you are doing. And if you get a generation 2 unit, you can lay lots of power to the trans.

Not too bad if you know people smile.gif

That kit to convert the 5MT seems like the hot ticket if it does make it shorter.

I have an 01E in my garage if you'd like more dimensions or see it person.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=266348

tazz9924
The 2wd converted 5mt is 29" from bell housing to the end of the shift linkage
Krom
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Mar 25 2016, 09:40 AM) *

The 2wd converted 5mt is 29" from bell housing to the end of the shift linkage

Does that apply to both generations of 5MT?
mgp4591
Don't forget to subtract the thickness of the adapter when you're bolting up a Subie trans to a Subie engine.... idea.gif
Overall I'd think you'd be ahead of the curve.
Krom
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 25 2016, 11:13 AM) *

Don't forget to subtract the thickness of the adapter when you're bolting up a Subie trans to a Subie engine.... idea.gif
Overall I'd think you'd be ahead of the curve.

It's gonna be really tight. I hope not to have to stick the linkage out the back of the car!
mgp4591
If you've got the forward space, pull the assembly up as far as the axle angle will allow and you may have more than enough room. If you troll around this site a bit you'll see great examples of the shift mechanisms that work for these trans - quite a few members have them and they're working great. Good luck with your build!
tazz9924
ok i hope point one was a joke, you don't need an adapter for stock. second to my knowledge all 5mts r basically the same length the only differences are the axels and strength
914forme
What he was trying to say is move the entire assembly forward. I did the same thing with my 914 EG swap, I might be able to bring it forward some more with a different engine mount. idea.gif

And then remember that the combination with the subaru engine, 012 Transaxle requires an adapter which lengthens it over the raw numbers,

The one additional advantage I see is you don't have the rod off the back end adding length to the overall assembly. That shortens the trans length, and makes it so it might not get jammed up in an accident. That used to happen a lot in the old Formula Vee, of course it was hanging out there for all to see, and tap if you had a more happy11.gif attitude.

I would still go 5MT, just for reference here is a nice chart I liberated from another site. Goes over all your choice and the gear combinations. You can get even more in the aftermarket. But it is nee to see so you know what exactly your buying.

Click to view attachment
Krom
Awesome reference. Thanks!
Krom
Did another measuring/detailing session and the 5MT just won't work. It's about 5 inches longer than the 012 in converted mode, so even with the adapter, we're ahead of the game with the 012. (We're trying to fit a Subaru 30EZ and the transaxle into 47 inches) The 012 is dirt cheap in the wrecking yards. So unless someone springs forth with a kit that we can buy, we'll have to engineer our own. The plus is that maybe we'll have something that we can sell y'all!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.