Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing arm removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Today I removed the RH axle and hub on the way to a CV service, bearing replacement and hopefully rear bushings. Is it possible to remove the trailing arm without removing the 3 alignment bolts? I can't budge the 3 bolts.
Thanks in advance.
Jack
ndfrigi
try applying penetrating oil and use impact wrench or cross type tire wrench so you have balance when rotating it.
Garland
There are plastic caps on the other side of the 3 bolts. Remove the caps and spray with penetrating oil.
BeatNavy
It is my understanding, although fortunately not my experience, that you really do NOT want to break or damage those bolts or threads. They can be repaired but it may not be easy (I believe there are one or two threads here on individuals' experiences). So I believe the lesson is be patient and use the normal "steps" as mentioned to help break them loose.
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif Certainly not a fun job to replace. You might also consider heating them up with a MAPP torch to break loose the rust bond and/or punching the heads of the bolts with some well-placed hammer strikes. I have had success with both of those in the past to free up stuck fasteners.
mepstein
God do we use a lot of mapp/acetalyne gas around the shop to unstick nuts and bolts.
r_towle
Use an impact gun on those bolts, no a breaker bar...
jack20
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 29 2016, 07:11 AM) *

God do we use a lot of mapp/acetalyne gas around the shop to unstick nuts and bolts.

Thanks guys. I tried an impact wrench yesterday but I didn't know about the plastic caps. I'll clean off the crud, remove them and shoot some PB blaster in there and some mapp gas heat on the heads. Should do it.
Thanks for the help.
Jack
jack20
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 29 2016, 07:25 AM) *

Use an impact gun on those bolts, no a breaker bar...

Ok. I almost pulled out the breaker bar yesterday but I was very concerned about snapping off the heads...
Thanks
madmax914
I've been a fan of PB Blaster, it smells funny but I think it works better than some of the other penetrating oils. Drench the bolts and the between the bracket and mounting surface. Wait a day and drench it again, you can't use too much. I'm not a big fan of breaker bars because they do just that break bolts, but if you don't have access to an impact gun try using a shorter bar. After three days of soaking it should be ready to cooperate.
malcolm2
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Mar 29 2016, 09:56 AM) *

I've been a fan of PB Blaster, it smells funny but I think it works better than some of the other penetrating oils. Drench the bolts and the between the bracket and mounting surface. Wait a day and drench it again, you can't use too much. I'm not a big fan of breaker bars because they do just that break bolts, but if you don't have access to an impact gun try using a shorter bar. After three days of soaking it should be ready to cooperate.

I found this stuff. Made right here in Nashville, TN... I find that it is better than PB, which is good.

SILI-KROIL link

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
Kano Kroil is the bomb. Thanks for the offer link too!
barefoot
while i had no difficulty removing the bolts, i did not want to loose the alignment, so drilled a 1/4" hole up thru the trailing arm and into the chassis, so can pin it back to exact position upon re-assembly
jcd914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 29 2016, 02:59 PM) *

while i had no difficulty removing the bolts, i did not want to loose the alignment, so drilled a 1/4" hole up thru the trailing arm and into the chassis, so can pin it back to exact position upon re-assembly

Are you replacing the bushings?
The alignment will change with new bushings even if you get the arm back in the same place.

Jim
jack20
Thanks everybody. I was able to completely strip the rear end. Trailing arms, etc go to powder coating tomorrow.
I realize that re - alignment will be necessary. I did the entire front end last month and plan to take it in for a four wheel alignment once I put the rear back in. I'll be replacing the bushings with a new set from PMB who also did all my calipers. I need to add 2 zerk fittings to each trailing arm. If anyone has done this I'd like to know where you installed them in the arm.
Jack
mepstein
Also talk with Eric about the powdercoat since some bushings will not slip over the powdercoat.
jkb944t
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 30 2016, 03:52 AM) *

Also talk with Eric about the powdercoat since some bushings will not slip over the powdercoat.

I just had my front and rear control arms powder coated and there was no problem fitting the Elephant Racing poly-bronze bushings that I got from PMB. If there was going to be a problem it would most likely be with the front control arms and not the rear ones.

Jeff B
jkb944t
QUOTE(jack20 @ Mar 29 2016, 10:03 PM) *

Thanks everybody. I was able to completely strip the rear end. Trailing arms, etc go to powder coating tomorrow.
I realize that re - alignment will be necessary. I did the entire front end last month and plan to take it in for a four wheel alignment once I put the rear back in. I'll be replacing the bushings with a new set from PMB who also did all my calipers. I need to add 2 zerk fittings to each trailing arm. If anyone has done this I'd like to know where you installed them in the arm.
Jack

The picture below shows the zerk fittings installed in my rear control arms. The instructions that come with the bushings will tell you how and where to install the fittings.

(Edit) The one thing the directions do leave out is that you need to drill the holes with a 7/32 drill and then tap them to 1/4-28.

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
jack20
They look great! Did you re-plate the bearing caps? How did it go getting the old bushings out? The new bushings are still in the box so I haven't seen the instructions yet.
Thanks
jkb944t
QUOTE(jack20 @ Mar 30 2016, 06:52 AM) *

They look great! Did you re-plate the bearing caps? How did it go getting the old bushings out? The new bushings are still in the box so I haven't seen the instructions yet.
Thanks

Thanks, yes I had the bearing caps yellow zinc plated. I took the old bushings out so long ago that I don't remember exactly how hard it was. I believe I used a small press to push the shaft out and then it wasn't too hard to remove the rubber bushings.

Jeff B
6freak
How did it go getting the old bushings out?
[/quote]
this is were all the fun begains headbang.gif

and its very easy to put the zerks in the wrong way....do a lay out before you drill and double check your work good luck
MikeC
ClayPerrine
I used the Elephant racing rubber bushing kits on both the front and rear of our 914s. They are nice. The ride isn't as harsh as the delrin, and you don't need zerk fittings either.

Rubber Bushings
r_towle
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Mar 30 2016, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(jack20 @ Mar 29 2016, 10:03 PM) *

Jack

The picture below shows the zerk fittings installed in my rear control arms. The instructions that come with the bushings will tell you how and where to install the fittings.

(Edit) The one thing the directions do leave out is that you need to drill the holes with a 7/32 drill and then tap them to 1/4-28.

Click to view attachment

Jeff B

Nice job, will you do mine?
76-914
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.