Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My search for a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
sb914
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 8 2016, 07:24 AM) *

I will have to get the funds ready today. If I do make the purchase, I do not have any way to transport it that day. Since the car needs tires and fuel lines, it will need to be trailered. I could maybe try to arrange something and pay the person whether or not I buy the car, just seems like a potential waste of money.

Would it make sense to pay for the car in full and then arrange transport. Or pay half and then the remaining when the car is picked up?

Also, if I do buy it I'll be looking for some local help on sorting it out to get it road ready smile.gif

BUY IT!! dead horse.gif poke.gif
EdwardBlume
I showed up with cash in my pocket and then went and got a Uhaul trailer. Be ready but be thorough and skeptical. The old adage is true: buy as much as you can afford.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 8 2016, 09:52 AM) *

How far would a tow be?

It's only about 60 miles. The company I work for has several tilt bed F650 trucks for hauling commercial mowers. I should see if there's any way I could get one of the drivers to help me out. Company probably wouldn't allow them to be used for "personal" use though...

QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 8 2016, 10:21 AM) *

I showed up with cash in my pocket and then went and got a Uhaul trailer. Be ready but be thorough and skeptical. The old adage is true: buy as much as you can afford.

My wife's Tribeca has a tow hitch, but it's only rated for 3500lbs so Uhaul would not let me rent a car trailer.
Optimusglen
Yup, I paid a deposit sight unseen (other than pictures) to secure mine at the low price it was listed, fortunately the sellers were people of their word and turned down higher offers that came in after they had my deposit. After it was all said and done I gave them a couple hundred extra

Paid for it and took the title one day, picked it up the day after.

If you have AAA, specifically the gold membership, you can get yourself a free tow up to 100 miles. I originally brought a flatbed trailer down behind my Jeep, but after loading up I discovered that I overestimated the life the old leaf springs had in them, ended up calling AAA and all was well.

I'm no expert on 914's but I live in Minnesota and have a lot of general car experience, if you'd like a hand and if it's ok with my schedule I'd be happy to help.
KELTY360
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 8 2016, 07:24 AM) *

I will have to get the funds ready today. If I do make the purchase, I do not have any way to transport it that day. Since the car needs tires and fuel lines, it will need to be trailered. I could maybe try to arrange something and pay the person whether or not I buy the car, just seems like a potential waste of money.

Would it make sense to pay for the car in full and then arrange transport. Or pay half and then the remaining when the car is picked up?

Also, if I do buy it I'll be looking for some local help on sorting it out to get it road ready smile.gif

Is the car stored at her home or some other storage spot. If it's at some other place, are you looking at it there or is she getting it moved to her home? Since it's been in storage for 3 years and the tires are flat, you'd probably be OK to pay in full, get title and make arrangements for later pickup. That said, you're better off being ready to transport right away.

If the tires are flat, it's going to be hard to inspect under the car. Do you have a portable air tank you could bring with you to inflate the tires? When was the last time the car was started? You'll probably need to bring a fresh battery, although if it hasn't been started for 3 years you probably don't want to do that right now.

Running condition can be a two edged sword. On the one hand there's bigger risk on your part; on the other hand it can be a good negotiating lever, especially if you're able to get a thorough look at the condition of the body. Mechanical work is way less expensive than body repair.

Why is she selling? The fact that she's owned it for 30+ years is a plus IMO. Be sure she understands how hard you've been looking for a 914 and how much you want one. She's probably got an emotional attachment and will want it to go to a good home. I wouldn't bring up the possibility of an LE unless she volunteers something. A '74 2.0 is desirable enough without the additional rarity. Good luck.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 8 2016, 11:56 AM) *

Is the car stored at her home or some other storage spot. If it's at some other place, are you looking at it there or is she getting it moved to her home? Since it's been in storage for 3 years and the tires are flat, you'd probably be OK to pay in full, get title and make arrangements for later pickup. That said, you're better off being ready to transport right away.

If the tires are flat, it's going to be hard to inspect under the car. Do you have a portable air tank you could bring with you to inflate the tires? When was the last time the car was started? You'll probably need to bring a fresh battery, although if it hasn't been started for 3 years you probably don't want to do that right now.

Running condition can be a two edged sword. On the one hand there's bigger risk on your part; on the other hand it can be a good negotiating lever, especially if you're able to get a thorough look at the condition of the body. Mechanical work is way less expensive than body repair.

Why is she selling? The fact that she's owned it for 30+ years is a plus IMO. Be sure she understands how hard you've been looking for a 914 and how much you want one. She's probably got an emotional attachment and will want it to go to a good home. I wouldn't bring up the possibility of an LE unless she volunteers something. A '74 2.0 is desirable enough without the additional rarity. Good luck.

The car is stored at her home. She's selling it because of her health, and she most definitely wants it to go to a good home. I don't have a portable air compressor, but I might see if I can find an inexpensive one.

She mentioned that it needs a new fuel pump bracket and new fuel lines, so I will not be trying to start it. I don't like the idea of buying a car without starting it, but it's probably because of this that it falls in my range of what I can afford to spend.

For me it's all going to depend on rust. If the hell hole is shot, I'll have to walk away, I just don't have the time and money for that kind of work. As long as it is structurally sound, I think it will be the one.
KELTY360
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 8 2016, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 8 2016, 11:56 AM) *

The car is stored at her home. She's selling it because of her health, and she most definitely wants it to go to a good home. I don't have a portable air compressor, but I might see if I can find an inexpensive one.

She mentioned that it needs a new fuel pump bracket and new fuel lines, so I will not be trying to start it. I don't like the idea of buying a car without starting it, but it's probably because of this that it falls in my range of what I can afford to spend.

For me it's all going to depend on rust. If the hell hole is shot, I'll have to walk away, I just don't have the time and money for that kind of work. As long as it is structurally sound, I think it will be the one.

Do you have a Harbor Freight close by? They're running a super coupon for a 100 psi compressor for $50 right now.
Chris H.
Get the VIN beforehand and send it to Jeff Bowlsby. He might be able to tell you if its a Bee.
MikeM
What Chris said!!! Get the VIN. See if it falls into the LE range.
forrestkhaag
On the how to get it home question:

Automobile Club Premier will tow your car on a flatbed 250 miles per tow.

The driver that last towed my C4s from Palm Springs to Laguna Beach due to a flat tire said that he has, on more than one occasion towed a car 250 miles to a known point (a gas station on Google maps etc. Then dropped off the car only to be reassigned to take the same car "home" - maybe another 200 miles...... All within the rules of the Auto Club's Premier membership.

I have a small tool kit, a cell phone, and a triple A premier membership card.... In the car at all times...

beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
Make the buy decision based on quality and condition and other factors, regardless of whether or not it is an LE. Condition is everything with these old cars.

The number of PORSCHE stickers may be a hint of what the seller is like.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 8 2016, 03:59 PM) *

Make the buy decision based on quality and condition and other factors, regardless of whether or not it is an LE. Condition is everything with these old cars.

The number of PORSCHE stickers may be a hint of what the seller is like.

Very wise you are!

Edit 4/10:
I kind of took your advice and passed on it, it was not an LE and it was far more work than I could handle to get it back on the road.

So, the search continues.
iwanta914-6
So I was searching craigslist and ran across a nice looking '76 2.0L with 911 5 lug conversion for $5K. Listing was up for about 45 minutes so I emailed the seller. I instantly get a response from craigslist that the listing was deleted. Either it sold that quickly or the seller pulled it because of all the responses and will raise the price. This would have been almost ideal even thought it was in Cali.

Oh well, I'll keep searching everywhere, lol.
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 18 2016, 08:20 PM) *

So I was searching craigslist and ran across a nice looking '76 2.0L with 911 5 lug conversion for $5K. Listing was up for about 45 minutes so I emailed the seller. I instantly get a response from craigslist that the listing was deleted. Either it sold that quickly or the seller pulled it because of all the responses and will raise the price. This would have been almost ideal even thought it was in Cali.

At least you are having fun looking!

Make sure any 5 lug converted car was not done with bolt on spacers

iwanta914-6
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 18 2016, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 18 2016, 08:20 PM) *

At least you are having fun looking!

Make sure any 5 lug converted car was not done with bolt on spacers

Yeah, half of the fun is the search! The seller in this case said the conversion was done with 911 parts for whatever that's worth.
iwanta914-6
I'm in early discussions with the seller of this one.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5514406272.html

He's going to get me some more photos, but I may need a PPI. Just to be prepared, is there anyone in the Santa Cruz area of California that could check it out for me?

If I offer to put a deposit down, is it assumed that the deposit is non-refundable? I've never tried to buy a car out of state. Then there's the other challenge of finding a transport to bring it half way across the country. Hopefully some around here can guide me down that path with some recommendations.

Looking at the pics in the ad, it obviously needs some finishing work. The seller listed off all of the things that need to be installed/finished. Is there anything in the pictures that are a cause for concern other than the rattle can black trunks?
Optimusglen
Deposits are always non-refundable unless the seller intentionally tried to hide or misrepresent something, or if it's explicitly stated that it's a refundable deposit.

But, that also depends on the seller. If you use Paypal for a deposit and find out that they did intentionally hide something, even if you file a complaint with paypal they will point you to the section in their rules that say deposits are exempt from buyer protection.

So really, only put a deposit on it if you're for sure going to want it. And be ready to walk away from it if the car turns out not to fit your needs later in the process.

In the ad "There was some belly-pan rust, but I think I did a pretty good job of resolving that." IMO, if you think you did a pretty good job you probably didn't. But who knows for sure.

Looks like it was originally orange, and they painted the exterior red, and rattle canned the rest black?

I dunno, I'm not super in tune with 914 prices, having just started down this journey myself, but I feel like $5600 is a little steep for that car unless you can get pictures of the longs and hell hole.
76-914
Just read your thread. sad.gif Makes me feel guilty. My '73 came from a guy that motioned me over on his MC. I was in my 76 and he asked if I wanted to buy his stored 914. I offered $800 and he accepted. biggrin.gif Here's wishing you some of that same "good luck"' beerchug.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 19 2016, 07:25 PM) *

Just read your thread. sad.gif Makes me feel guilty. My '73 came from a guy that motioned me over on his MC. I was in my 76 and he asked if I wanted to buy his stored 914. I offered $800 and he accepted. biggrin.gif Here's wishing you some of that same "good luck"' beerchug.gif

I'll take the 73 off your hands for $1000 wink.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 19 2016, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 19 2016, 07:25 PM) *

I'll take the 73 off your hands for $1000 wink.gif

Well, I was just contacted by someone through my Craigslist WTB ad. He said his boss has one, said it's been sitting for 7 years and needs to get rid of it. Said he's asking $1000. Said it's sitting in "the shop" and needs to make room for the work truck. I'm expecting the worst, but one never knows.

My soap opera continues...stay tuned! biggrin.gif
Optimusglen
Nice! Good luck!
iwanta914-6
Well, I think I'm going to go take a look at this one! Looks like it may be sagging a bit, but difficult for me to tell in the pictures.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Please get a Tetanus shot first.....someone had to say it. biggrin.gif
Optimusglen
Yeah looks like it may be hiding some bad secrets deep down, but for $1k it might be a good buy. If it's local go check it out, pull the top off and open the doors, take a step inside and see how far it droops.
infraredcalvin
Is that a respray over ravenna green?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Apr 20 2016, 03:09 PM) *

Is that a respray over ravenna green?

I don't think so. I believe it's a '75 and Ravena wasn't available. I'm thinking maybe Summer Yellow or perhaps Berber yellow. Obviously I'll have to check the tag when I go take a look at it.
tygaboy
Those photos say to me, "Pull my fenders and my sail panels and, and, and..."
Just sayin', that's a LOT of rust repair you're looking at.
Not that we don't love rust repair but go into a car like this with your eyes (and possibly/probably wallet) wide open.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 20 2016, 04:24 PM) *

Those photos say to me, "Pull my fenders and my sail panels and, and, and..."
Just sayin', that's a LOT of rust repair you're looking at.
Not that we don't love rust repair but go into a car like this with your eyes (and possibly/probably wallet) wide open.

Believe me, I'm not in the position to fix major rust issues. If the hell hole and longs are toast, I'm running away. Finding a solid 914 in MN is going to be nearly impossible. For the $1K price tag I have to at least see it in person.
Cairo94507
I would broaden your search. If you find one anywhere, you can almost be assured we have people on the ground there who would be willing to go see it in person and take photos, poke it with a sharp object and learn what we can. Then you can arrange shipping if you put a deal together. I think you could way ahead doing that rather than looking in a part of the country known for rust/snow, etc.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 20 2016, 04:33 PM) *

I would broaden your search. If you find one anywhere, you can almost be assured we have people on the ground there who would be willing to go see it in person and take photos, poke it with a sharp object and learn what we can. Then you can arrange shipping if you put a deal together. I think you could way ahead doing that rather than looking in a part of the country known for rust/snow, etc.

My search has definitely been nation wide though I should post my WTB ad in other places, mostly around Cali.
rick 918-S
I'd say look at it for the experience. Beyond that forget that one.
76-914
And have those verified as well. I live in SoCal and we have some rust buckets show up as well. Start checking San Diego, LA, Inland Empire, all in CA; Las Vegas, NV; AZ, and NM Craigslist. Pretty sure we have members in most areas. Just tell your prospective sellers that we check for rust with sharpened #5 Phillips screwdrivers and we expect to see the "bare" longs.
iwanta914-6
Well, after talking to the seller of the $1K car, I decided to not waste his (or my) time in regards to looking at it.

If anyone else is interested in it for parts or possibly trying to bring it back to life, let me know and I'll pass on his phone number. (he asked me give out his info to anyone that wanted it).
iwanta914-6
Another opportunity thanks to my CL WTB ad.

It's local, a 75 1.8L w/FI in ancona blue.

Owner was just thinking of selling it when he saw my ad. I spoke with him for about a half hour on the phone. It was rusty when he bought it and had the rust repaired and repainted it. He's been semi daily driving it when the weather allows for the last 20 years. Back in the early 2000s he had the motor and transmission rebuilt. It's still in winter storage and he will send me pics next week when he gets it out and then I'll probably go look at it.

He's unsure of the value but he wants it to go to a good home and I think we might be able to work something out.

Fingers crossed...
mepstein
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 24 2016, 11:46 PM) *

Another opportunity thanks to my CL WTB ad.

It's local, a 75 1.8L w/FI in ancona blue.

Owner was just thinking of selling it when he saw my ad. I spoke with him for about a half hour on the phone. It was rusty when he bought it and had the rust repaired and repainted it. He's been semi daily driving it when the weather allows for the last 20 years. Back in the early 2000s he had the motor and transmission rebuilt. It's still in winter storage and he will send me pics next week when he gets it out and then I'll probably go look at it.

He's unsure of the value but he wants it to go to a good home and I think we might be able to work something out.

Fingers crossed...

Sounds like it has potential.
Cairo94507
Has promise....
Chris H.
You should call Brad Mayeur at 914 LTD to see what he might have or know of. Garold Schaffer also finds a good one around here every once in a while.

It's good you're passing on the red car if you don't have strong repair skills.

Click to view attachment

Just FYI if you poked these bubbles with a screwdriver it would most likely go right through the panel. Also note that the door does not seem to line up correctly. It might not be fully closed but if it's hard to close that's an indication that the body is sagging. That is the driver's side, which is not normally as bad as the passenger side. Once it starts sagging...major repair.

iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 25 2016, 10:06 AM) *

You should call Brad Mayeur at 914 LTD to see what he might have or know of. Garold Schaffer also finds a good one around here every once in a while.

Garold did contact me through my Craigslist ad. He didn't have anything to pass on at the time but also suggested Brad.

I sent a message to Brad a couple of weeks ago and he said he might know of something but would get me more info when he got back from Hershey. I messaged him last Tuesday I think and haven't heard anything. I'm sure he's been pretty busy since Hershey.

I'm hoping this latest one works out. There's also a 73 that just popped up on Craigslist up near Fargo, ND. Looks nice, just a bit more than what my budget will allow.
rhodyguy
How much is 'just a bit'? If not to the 'my wife will kill me' level, check out the car and it's a keeper see what you can make happen. The MWWKM stuff starts much further down the timeline.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 25 2016, 04:39 PM) *

How much is 'just a bit'? If not to the 'my wife will kill me' level, check out the car and it's a keeper see what you can make happen. The MWWKM stuff starts much further down the timeline.

I did send an email to the Fargo seller. I want to keep my options open, that's for sure. Never got a response though...
DCJosh
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 25 2016, 06:36 PM) *

I did send an email to the Fargo seller. I want to keep my options open, that's for sure. Never got a response though...

What was the problem with the black one in Cottage Grove? I wrote he through her craigslist ad. I'm thinking of looking at it this weekend.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(DCJosh @ Apr 26 2016, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 25 2016, 06:36 PM) *

What was the problem with the black one in Cottage Grove? I wrote he through her craigslist ad. I'm thinking of looking at it this weekend.

Did she never contact you? The other thread I had about that car has more info on it as someone else also looked at it. If the pictures were anything close to what it actually looks like, I probably would have bought it. Sadly it's been sitting outside for a few years...
iwanta914-6
Well, I may go take a look at this one. It's 20 minutes from my home so I feel it's worth it to run over and look at it. It's rare to find one so close to home.

Of course, looking at this picture that the seller sent to me after he cleaned it up, the door gap looks bad, unless the door is just popped open a bit when he took the picture.

Other than that, and the mirror, it seems to be a fairly nice 1970.

Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
Looks like a nice driver. What"s the budget? I would definitely go check it out. Around here there are so few of these cars, that there is very little to compare one to another. Good Luck!
jor
It certainly is shiny. As someone who has now followed your search for months, I'm interested in what you think of it. Good luck!!
Chris H.
Just make sure you peek behind those plastic rocker panels. Should be able to shine a flashlight in the ends. Sometimes (but not always) those were less expensive replacements when the originals were damaged during removal to prep for rust repair because they were so rusted and fell apart. But some people just liked them so you never know.
Frankvw
Hey Iwanta, good to see you are still out there for your first 914 ! red ones go faster I read on the forum. Keep us updated !
Coondog
With a 5 page thread going on here, just buy the Fnnnn car headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif Then start another thread on all the work you will need to do.....
billh1963
Worth repeating rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 16 2016, 10:37 AM) *

There are several types of 914 buyers:
1. Tire kickers - fantasize about a car but never take action. They spend a lot of time and emotional energy (and use up other peoples time) but never buy. No car is ever right. A lot of them place WTB ads on the forums then basically disappear

2. Timid buyers (chicken shits) - These are the guys who over analyze everything, worry about the price, and waffle over the decision. Once someone else buys the car they realize it was a good deal and then whine on the forums about how they could have had that car but someone else bought it out from under them

3. Flippers/Dealers - No explanation needed. They are quick to move on properly priced cars and snatch them up...usually pissing off the chicken shits. The dealers don't post...just lurk while others find and post cars the dealer winds up buying

4. More money than sense - That's me far too often. Buying a car on emotion rather than fact smile.gif

5. Informed and Decisive buyers - Buyers who have been looking for a while, have done their research and realize that no 40+ year old car is perfect. When a decent car comes along they jump in and buy it.

They may be other types but this sums up what I see on a regular basis.

What does this have to do with this thread? It's a warning to prospective buyers. If you are serious, put a deposit on the car and get off your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer has already moved on this car. Waiting on a PPI on a $6000 car without a deposit guarantees someone like me or a dealer will get there first. Good luck to everyone involved lol-2.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 2 2016, 10:33 AM) *

Worth repeating rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 16 2016, 10:37 AM) *

There are several types of 914 buyers:
1. Tire kickers - fantasize about a car but never take action. They spend a lot of time and emotional energy (and use up other peoples time) but never buy. No car is ever right. A lot of them place WTB ads on the forums then basically disappear

2. Timid buyers (chicken shits) - These are the guys who over analyze everything, worry about the price, and waffle over the decision. Once someone else buys the car they realize it was a good deal and then whine on the forums about how they could have had that car but someone else bought it out from under them

3. Flippers/Dealers - No explanation needed. They are quick to move on properly priced cars and snatch them up...usually pissing off the chicken shits. The dealers don't post...just lurk while others find and post cars the dealer winds up buying

4. More money than sense - That's me far too often. Buying a car on emotion rather than fact smile.gif

5. Informed and Decisive buyers - Buyers who have been looking for a while, have done their research and realize that no 40+ year old car is perfect. When a decent car comes along they jump in and buy it.

They may be other types but this sums up what I see on a regular basis.

What does this have to do with this thread? It's a warning to prospective buyers. If you are serious, put a deposit on the car and get off your ass. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer has already moved on this car. Waiting on a PPI on a $6000 car without a deposit guarantees someone like me or a dealer will get there first. Good luck to everyone involved lol-2.gif

Another rule of thumb is you only post about the perfect car to buy after its sitting in your garage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.