Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My search for a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
iwanta914-6
I have a possible opportunity to acquire a 1971 914.

Is there anything other than rust that I need to be concerned about with the 71?

This particular car has the shift linkage disassembled because a mechanic was going to replace some bushings but left the seller high and dry after taking it apart.

This isn't my ideal 914. It's a non-appearance version, so no chrome bumpers, no chrome trim, no sail vinyl. I don't mind the steel wheels with the "nipple" caps. Not a fan of the fixed passenger seat or the tail shift transmission. Also it's my least favorite color for a 914, red. Of course over time many of these can be changed. The price is right though if the motor runs as the owner says and is as solid as the owner states.
Hank914
Buy what you want, not what you don't want. The "right" price may soon change to something "no longer right", but the non-appearance group, tail-shifter, fixed seat 1.7L 1971 teener will never change...forever mocking you with it's silent scream: "You could da bought a 1973 chrome bumper 2.0....hahahaha, but you are stuck with me!"
iwanta914-6
Alas, all I really want is a 914. Almost to the point where I just don't care if it's the perfect car or not. I want to be apart of the "fun" instead of living vicariously through everyone on 914world. Is there something wrong with me? lol
flmont
Never pass up a chance/opportunity to buy a car that u like,even if it dos'nt fit all your needs,if price is right and It runs,..all parts are mostly interchangeable,..learn the car then look for whats closer to your taste,..and then have a parts car,.???
r_towle
Go for it, you can bolt everything on.
mepstein
The early cars are great.
914bub
QUOTE(flmont @ Mar 30 2016, 06:31 PM) *

Never pass up a chance/opportunity to buy a car that u like,even if it dos'nt fit all your needs,if price is right and It runs,..all parts are mostly interchangeable,..learn the car then look for whats closer to your taste,..and then have a parts car,.???

I agree. I bought a non-appearance group car and the first thing I wanted to do was add sail panel vinyl & chrome bumpers........ Then it kinda grew on me.

In 1989 I bought a dune buggy that was orange,.... ORANGE! I couldn't stand that color but it grew on me. I still own that buggy. My 914 is Tangerine. In 1990 I would have hated it, now it's my favorite color.

I'm sure I'll catch a little heat for this but I LIKE non-appearance cars now. I'm a little impartial as I'm an SF Giants fan and a black and orange Harley fan.(My Harley is Black) sad.gif

Look at your different wheel options as well. I have always liked ATS wheels, I scored a set in black,.... Perfect for my car
rick 918-S
I don't recall if you have ever owned a 914. What a lot of guys don't realize if you have never had a 914 is the handling. The cars are like a great pair of Chicago roller skates on a new floor. Remember the cars aren't snap your neck fast but corner awesome whether 1.7 or 2.0. Get to know the handling then worry about the next step. Look at it this way. There will be no regrets doing a 6 conversion later.
jkonzelman
Get it! you can bolt on chrome bumpers, convert to a side shifter. swap the engine
add any upgrades you want. Wheels are easy. but getting a solid car is the first step.

iwanta914-6
Well, the seller went public with it on facebook. My chances to acquire it are going to be very thin now at the bargain price of $2k
Garland
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 30 2016, 07:56 PM) *

I don't recall if you have ever owned a 914. What a lot of guys don't realize if you have never had a 914 is the handling. The cars are like a great pair of Chicago roller skates on a new floor. Remember the cars aren't snap your neck fast but corner awesome whether 1.7 or 2.0. Get to know the handling then worry about the next step. Look at it this way. There will be no regrets doing a 6 conversion later.

60 in the straightaways, 90 in the curves.
Used to club race in the 80's. There was a Mustang would almost catch me just befor the end of the back stretch. Then I would beat him on braking, and away I went around the bends, till again at then end of the backstretch.
He way out powered me. And never talked to me. confused24.gif
Rick,
Thanks for sparking the memory.

JeffBowlsby
Well....you are going to have to reinvent yourself to maintain integrity. Your screen name would be hopelessly wrong for a 914/4 owner.

All the kool kids use their real name here...fosters credibility and camaraderie.

popcorn[1].gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 30 2016, 08:56 PM) *

I don't recall if you have ever owned a 914.

No Rick, I have never owned one. I had the opportunity to drive my dad's 951 for a while until he sold it and helped him drive his 993 cabriolet from Rhode Island back to MN when he bought it. He's now driving a 991 cab that I have yet to have the opportunity to drive. It's a PDK, but I'm sure it's still a blast to drive.

I've just lusted for the 914 since going to club events when I was a kid. I always have trouble pulling the trigger when I find an opportunity. These days you have to act fast when a deal comes up.
SKL1
If it is solid, go for it. Had my '71 since new but it's no longer a 1.7, has a side shifter, and all OEM 914-6 suspension and brakes...
Love my houndstooth seats (original) and don't care about the passenger seat- I never sit there!!
maddin
car looks nice from the 1 picture! Price is right too...might be a bargain!
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(maddin @ Mar 30 2016, 10:18 PM) *

I have a dozen pics that she sent me via PM. She claims there is a bit of surface rust on the floors and everything else is solid. If everything is as she says, it's a bargain for sure.
maddin
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 31 2016, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(maddin @ Mar 30 2016, 10:18 PM) *

I have a dozen pics that she sent me via PM. She claims there is a bit of surface rust on the floors and everything else is solid. If everything is as she says, it's a bargain for sure.

Do you live close by? I'd have a look,bring the cash too!
iwanta914-6
I'm in the same state but it's a 160 mile drive and I don't have a vehicle capable of towing it... I found a guy locally that could transport it for under 200 bucks...
jkonzelman
914 in minnesota with no rust? Hmmmm.
iwanta914-6
Well, it appears that car is no longer for sale. Their daughter decided that she wants it. I was informed that she would contact me if anything changes.

The search continues...
sb914
icon_bump.gif
jor
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 31 2016, 02:02 PM) *

Well, it appears that car is no longer for sale. Their daughter decided that she wants it. I was informed that she would contact me if anything changes.

The search continues...

So close! I know I'm not the only one on this forum rooting for you.
mepstein
If I see one I like I spend about 3 minutes thinking and then head to the seller with cash.

Drives my wife crazy. biggrin.gif
second wind
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 31 2016, 02:02 PM) *

The search continues...

The bare bones cheapest possible 914 has a look of it's own.....kinda' the way it was intended to be....just plain FUN!! I wouldn't touch a thing....will end up being the most sought after one day....
iwanta914-6
I changed the title to this topic because it is becoming an ongoing story in a way.

I've had a running WTB ad locally on craigslist, perhaps some of you have come across it in your 914 searches.

This morning for the first time since I started running the ad I was contacted by a lady that has a 1974 2.0L that she has owned for 31 years. It has apparently been sitting for the last 2 years.

For me, this is the ideal model. I'm waiting to hear back from her with more information and hopefully a few pictures. Then we'll have to see where she's at on a price. At least she is somewhat close by making it easy to go look at.

If this search ever ends, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my days. Oh probably search for parts...lol.
KELTY360
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 4 2016, 08:12 AM) *

I changed the title to this topic because it is becoming an ongoing story in a way.

I've had a running WTB ad locally on craigslist, perhaps some of you have come across it in your 914 searches.

This morning for the first time since I started running the ad I was contacted by a lady that has a 1974 2.0L that she has owned for 31 years. It has apparently been sitting for the last 2 years.

For me, this is the ideal model. I'm waiting to hear back from her with more information and hopefully a few pictures. Then we'll have to see where she's at on a price. At least she is somewhat close by making it easy to go look at.

If this search ever ends, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my days. Oh probably search for parts...lol.

Good luck with this. It's great having a lead that isn't advertised. Let's you make a considered decision without the pressure of competition.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 4 2016, 11:07 AM) *

Good luck with this. It's great having a lead that isn't advertised. Let's you make a considered decision without the pressure of competition.

Never heard back from her. I sent her one more email so still holding out hope...
rhodyguy
Pick up your phone. Pursue the car you might want.
DCJosh
There is another guy who is selling a pair of 914's on MN Craigslist right now. I have tried to contact him regarding any parts that he may have; he is a little difficult to communicate with, just so you know.

http://mankato.craigslist.org/cto/5512198373.html

This is in Iowa and the ad says it runs and drives. Converted to carbs though:

http://fortdodge.craigslist.org/cto/5514576127.html

iwanta914-6
QUOTE(DCJosh @ Apr 5 2016, 12:40 PM) *

There is another guy who is selling a pair of 914's on MN Craigslist right now. I have tried to contact him regarding any parts that he may have; he is a little difficult to communicate with, just so you know.

http://mankato.craigslist.org/cto/5512198373.html

I have noticed those as well. If you do go pick up any parts from the Mankato seller, take a moment to look at the 914s wink.gif. I actually think he has 3 of them.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(DCJosh @ Apr 5 2016, 12:40 PM) *

Ew, single carb. haha.
DCJosh
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 5 2016, 02:00 PM) *

I have noticed those as well. If you do go pick up any parts from the Mankato seller, take a moment to look at the 914s wink.gif. I actually think he has 3 of them.

He's in IA, almost 2 hours away. He is difficult to communicate with, I don't think I will be doing any business with him anytime soon.

r_towle
What is your budget for a running driving car?
914DiceRoll
I'm going to put my 71 914/4 in the corral at Hersery Park next week. It's yours for 10.5k plus shipping.
Ron Lipps
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Love that Willow Green. Looks nice Ron. You're probably about to get a request for pics of the usual rust areas biggrin.gif .
Bulldog9
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(914DiceRoll @ Apr 5 2016, 10:44 PM) *

I'm going to put my 71 914/4 in the corral at Hersery Park next week. It's yours for 10.5k plus shipping.
Ron Lipps
Click to view attachment

Wow, beautiful color! I'm starting to realize that I need to work my budget into the 10k range. Lots of nice cars in that price range.
arkitect
I know of a black 75, fresh paint that runs and looks awesome in the Brentwood area....his name is Lennie.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5470135776.html

He is getting out of the teeners, he also has a really clean roller with a subaru engine and alot of extras he was collecting to make a conversion out of.

Dave
iwanta914-6
Well I received a reply from the local person selling her 74 2.0L.

I think I'll go take a look at it this weekend.

Here's a pic the owner had, from 2010. She said it's been sitting in storage for the last 3 years so it's a bit dusty and tires are flat.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 7 2016, 09:44 AM) *

Here's a pic the owner had, from 2010. She said it's been sitting in storage for the last 3 years so it's a bit dusty and tires are flat.

Click to view attachment

Bubble Bee?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 7 2016, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 7 2016, 09:44 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Bubble Bee?

Hmm...I had not thought about that. 2.0L No sail vinyl, Mahle wheels, appears to maybe have the LE front spoiler. Might be onto something!
iwanta914-6
The more I look at it, the more I think it IS a Bumblebee.

Looks like the side markers were shaved (which I kind of like)...

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Hope it works out for you.
KELTY360
Be completely ready to do the deal when you go....money in hand, etc. Make sure she knows where the title is and has any receipts gathered together. Don't leave anything hanging.
Larmo63
agree.gif

You HAVE to be ready to pull the trigger. Go big, or go home. (without a 914)

forrestkhaag
Yes. Cash in hand (if a clean title is in her hand) is the way to go..

Larmo recently picked up a 2.0 that was basically unmolested but maybe under loved / and rust free for around 5K.

The deals are out there and most of the the crew on World will offer to do a PPI in any part of the country for your benefit and for the benefit of the knowledge base on this site.

Have fun in the search.

The purchase of my rust free 1971 1.7 for under 3K recently was the re-beginning of everything 914 for me. Owned a fairly new one in the 70's and I now own an old one in the new economy...

Sidebar:
An early car has advantages - even today.

Low to no apparent power.
Spongy suspension.
Barely legal and unavailable brakes.
Hideous shifting quality slippery and sloppy as a .......... well......
More time in the field than an archaeologist in Egypt.
And more things to work on.................

But, as you upgrade an early car to a 2. + engine (or bigger), a nice side shift 901 gearbox and linkage, sway bars front and back, decent upgrades to lighting front and back, and 5-bolt upgrades for 911 brakes and suspension bits and pieces suddenly (over years) you have a great inexpensive fun to drive car.

And my lovely wife love a red 914......
mepstein
My - found a unicorn - thread. No rust 71. $2,500 Sold the running engine. Putting a 3.2 in this week. piratenanner.gif
iwanta914-6
I will have to get the funds ready today. If I do make the purchase, I do not have any way to transport it that day. Since the car needs tires and fuel lines, it will need to be trailered. I could maybe try to arrange something and pay the person whether or not I buy the car, just seems like a potential waste of money.

Would it make sense to pay for the car in full and then arrange transport. Or pay half and then the remaining when the car is picked up?

Also, if I do buy it I'll be looking for some local help on sorting it out to get it road ready smile.gif
Chris Pincetich
These days, buyer beware. So many folks who get swooped or arrive to find a higher price because while you were the first caller, dozens more called with offers over asking. Did that really happen? Who knows...

If you really want the car, give them all the $$, take the title, paperwork, and keys with you, then worry about transport later. beerchug.gif

Good luck!!
rhodyguy
How far would a tow be? Not uncommon for folks to utilize a tilt bed haul. Either that or you'll need a pickup and rent a tow dolly. Once you buy a 914 the money starts to flow. AWAY, like a plastic bottle on an out going tide.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.