Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Get the great pumpkin home !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GreatPumpkin
So my dumbass decides to bring my car up to school for the week. Not the best idea I know, but hey come on everyone loves the 914 up here in BG. Anyway I was about to go somewhere and I pushed the clutch in and it just went all the way down to the floor and doesn't come back up . I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Anyone have any ideas as to what I should check for first when this happens.
Valy
Cable snapped.
Alphaogre
yea, had the same thing happen to me a couple months back. Its a 3Omin fix once you get the cable. Tangerine Racing has a Heavy duty clutch cable.
GreatPumpkin
Damn that blows haha I will look at it tomorrow any tips or common problems people run into when fixing this ?
Tom_T
Actually, the OEM GEMO clutch cables will last a long time as it is (they just go after awhile), & they're probably available closer to you at school for less coin on a student's budget.

Check & make sure that you have a good clean ground connection for the ground cable from the top of the transaxle to the underside of the trunk floor under there - I mean you need to unscrew, inspect & clean it. If some yahoo DAPO left it off, then you'll need to buy a new one & install it with clean nuts. Corrosion will be worse back there in salt, snow & rain country.

If the ground there is bad or missing, then your clutch cable becomes the ground & gets fried quickly, & is the usual cause for short clutch cable life.

For the parts numbers on all of these, see the free to download Porsche PET Parts Manual for the 914 which you can download for free as a pdf file from the Porsche website's Classics section under documents there.

BTW - in a pinch to get to a shop for repairs with a snapped clutch cable, you can go a short distance by turning off the motor at each stop, then restart in 3rd gear - ride the broncin' buck - then cruise in 3rd & try to avoid stops. Distance you can go will depend upon how good your battery is, how tough it is starting each time, & how many times you have to stop.

No major issue to fix these.

PS - Remember that $hit happens - enjoy the 914, & the gals will enjoy it & you too - assuming you're single, that's okay! biggrin.gif

Good Luck & don't let this keep you from taking it to school in good weather! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Dave_Darling
Another possibility is that the "Gordon pin" has failed. That is the roll pin that holds the clutch pedal arm onto the cross-shaft through the pedal cluster. The ones supplied with the Weltmeister bronze bushing sets aren't that good, the original ones are better. If you've rebuilt the cluster recently, that is a significant possibility.

--DD
76-914
icon_bump.gif
GreatPumpkin
found where it broke . Right as it goes through the firewall the cable frayed and eventually broke . Anyone know which way would be best to feed the cable . Hook it up at the transmission and try to run the cable to the front or hook the cable up at the front to the pedal cluster and try to run the cable to the back and then hook it up . Also is there any rule about how tight to make the cable once everything is attached . I've been looking at my Haynes repair manual , just been waiting for it to be nice enough to get underneath the car . Thanks for the help guys !
porschetub
QUOTE(GreatPumpkin @ Apr 2 2016, 02:32 AM) *

found where it broke . Right as it goes through the firewall the cable frayed and eventually broke . Anyone know which way would be best to feed the cable . Hook it up at the transmission and try to run the cable to the front or hook the cable up at the front to the pedal cluster and try to run the cable to the back and then hook it up . Also is there any rule about how tight to make the cable once everything is attached . I've been looking at my Haynes repair manual , just been waiting for it to be nice enough to get underneath the car . Thanks for the help guys !

Make sure you replace the clevis that threads on to the pedal end if it is worn,they are cheap to buy,my replacement GEMO cable was I little long so I cut 10mm off the pedal end,doing this give me more future adjustment at the gearbox end.
There is also a cable retainer on the clutch roller housing that locks the cable into the slot,make sure you have that in place.
Feed the cable in from the rear of the car once you have the car safely jacked up.
Follow Haynes manual and you will be fine.
GreatPumpkin
Looks like I have a window of nice weather so I'm gonna get under the car and give it a go ! Any tips on how to get the nut off the end of the cable where it connects to the pedal cluster ? It's hard to get on with a wrench so maybe some pliers ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.