Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flying into San Diego!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rusty
Hi guys! We're flying into San Diego on the 16th. I'll be picking up the Aubergine wub.gif (not purple) car from Doctor Evil! monkeydance.gif

The plan is to eat dinner somewhere in between SD and Orange County... no solid plans where yet, but Scott and Mike and I have been talking about it. Because it's going to be a LONG day, I'm hoping for a place nearer to San Diego. chowtime.gif

Anyways, if you read this message you're welcome to join us. More details to follow! chatsmiley.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Joe Bob
Ya coming north? Stop by.....
SLITS
Are you buying?
Aaron Cox
Lots of ACTIVE orange county people versus S.D. people wink.gif

just a thought smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Are you driving it back?
ArtechnikA
the problem is, 'between San Diego and Orange County' is Camp Pendleton.

i've been to several wonderful places in Del Mar but i donno if any are still around. i have no recollection of ever stopping in Carlsbad or Oceanside for anything but chain fast food. There are some good places in San Juan Capistrano.
Aaron Cox
san juan is ok....san clemente....

salt creek grill etc...

that area is expensive though!
type47fan
New HOOTER'S opening in O'side off of Hwy 78. . . .wait that's in May. . .never mind.
john rogers
If you are in the SD area for the whole weekend and want to see what "real" racing is like, come on over to Tecate and watch the first race race of the 05 Baja series. We'll be there as will Ted with his 356, Marty and Robert from LS with their 914 and the Mitsu Evo 500HP monsters and a whole passel of VWs. Tecate is home to a pretty famous brewery too and the Tecate Girls!
Gint
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 27 2005, 02:17 PM)
the problem is, 'between San Diego and Orange County' is Camp Pendleton.

i've been to several wonderful places in Del Mar but i donno if any are still around.  i have no recollection of ever stopping in Carlsbad or Oceanside for anything but chain fast food.  There are some good places in San Juan Capistrano.

Love this place! I stop here everytime I'm doin a beach cruise.

Jay's Seafood - Carlsbad

The big seafood pasta plate is awesome! I even have a T-shirt.

What if the wife and I were to participate? She's getting a job offer tomorrow. I need a vacation. Wanna put my toes in the ocean somewhere.
Brando
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 27 2005, 12:23 PM)
Are you buying?

Same ? as Ron.
Gint

101 Cafe in Oceanside has great breakfast too.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Mar 27 2005, 01:16 PM)
Hi guys! We're flying into San Diego on the 16th. I'll be picking up the Aubergine wub.gif (not purple) car from Doctor Evil! monkeydance.gif

Who, pray tell, is "WE"? Did you pursuade Pam to drive that far with you?

And I don't care what you say...... the car is PURPLE!!!!

So now you have Elwood, and the Purple People Eater!!! lol2.gif

SLITS
No worries, since the car was in the hands of Dr. Evil and that close to Mexico, it will automatically stall at the first Taco Stand........Ola.....Dos Tacos de Gato....
Rusty
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 27 2005, 04:11 PM)
Are you driving it back?

Yep... driving it back.

Two potential routes right now:

1. Phoenix to Santa Fe to Denver to Kansas.
2. Vegas to Denver to Kansas.

Mostly weather dependent. Decision to be made the night before we depart San Diego. Gonna spend a day at SeaWorld. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. Hey Slitz... Probably not buying... but you get the immense pleasure of my charming company. hehehehhe
SLITS
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Mar 27 2005, 10:09 PM)
P.S. Hey Slitz... Probably not buying... but you get the immense pleasure of my charming company. hehehehhe

Now there's a concept worthy of world attention dry.gif
skline
Oh great, now nobody will show up. biggrin.gif I have to agree with Aaron, you may want to consider coming up to around San Clemente or in the area. Not many down in SD anymore. I think once the good doctor leaves there will only be about 2 maybe 3 left down there that are active on the board. In OC and Riverside however, there are a lot. If you are going up to Vegas from there, you may want to just meet up somewhere on the way up. Maybe even Corona going up the 15 from SD to Vegas?
carreraguy
I used to live in San Diego - in my book the best Mexican food (and margaritas) was at Fidel's Little Mexico in Solana Beach just north of Del Mar off I5.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=pY57_...y=us&cat=&trf=0

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 27 2005, 10:14 PM)
Oh great, now nobody will show up. biggrin.gif I have to agree with Aaron, you may want to consider coming up to around San Clemente or in the area. Not many down in SD anymore. I think once the good doctor leaves there will only be about 2 maybe 3 left down there that are active on the board. In OC and Riverside however, there are a lot. If you are going up to Vegas from there, you may want to just meet up somewhere on the way up. Maybe even Corona going up the 15 from SD to Vegas?

yeppers.....

no one down thar in S.D. if your going through vegas....shit... stop by the O.C. or there are lots of places along the way off the 15....

your dinner- your audience.....

choose or lose smile.gif
TravisNeff
What's that place in old town where you can get the margaritas for two - fish bowl! if'n ya go down to TJ, don't get arrested like I did hee hee (well almost)
eeyore
I'm going to try to make it. I push for something in the immediate vicinity of Pendleton.
Rusty
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 28 2005, 12:14 AM)

Well, give me a suggestion. idea.gif

Here's the dealio. I'm going to be up at 4am Central time to make my flight. Figure a 7pm dinner, and the time change... that's 17-18 hours awake, including plane ride and everything else - just to start the evening. The hotel will be in SD. I'd love to see everyone... (cept Aaaron, of course), but driving two hours each way to dinner isn't realistic after that day.

-Rusty smoke.gif
JoeSharp
San Diego sounds nice.
biggrin.gif Joe
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Mar 28 2005, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 28 2005, 12:14 AM)
Oh great, now nobody will show up.  :D   I have to agree with Aaron, you may want to consider coming up to around San Clemente or in the area. Not many down in SD anymore. I think once the good doctor leaves there will only be about 2 maybe 3 left down there that are active on the board. In OC and Riverside however, there are a lot. If you are going up to Vegas from there, you may want to just meet up somewhere on the way up. Maybe even Corona going up the 15 from SD to Vegas?

Well, give me a suggestion. idea.gif

Here's the dealio. I'm going to be up at 4am Central time to make my flight. Figure a 7pm dinner, and the time change... that's 17-18 hours awake, including plane ride and everything else - just to start the evening. The hotel will be in SD. I'd love to see everyone... (cept Aaaron, of course), but driving two hours each way to dinner isn't realistic after that day.

-Rusty smoke.gif

why the hotel in S.D. ? fly out... pick the car up..and stay in O.C. and have 3x as many people to meet smile.gif

hello to you too rusty flipa.gif laugh.gif
DonTraver
There's a lot of nice places in San Diego. Depends what you want, how much you want to pay, etc. One of my favorites it Pat & Oscars, in Mission Valley. Close to Hotel Row, you can push tables together, casual, great food and prices, inside or outside seating.

Let me know, I'd like to do this.
slivel
Where are you staying? Lots of great places to eat in San Diego - might as well be close to where you are staying. How much do you want to spend? Cheap is < $20, moderate is < $50 and expensive is ..... well expensive.

Steve
Jenny
I'll try to come down for Rusty. I've got the week prior off, I'll see if I can swing a trip down to San Diego. Haven't been there since I was 8.

Jen
Brando
The Dirty Waffle be a bit too far south for me to join 2+ hour for the drive.

Rusty, why not have dinner up a bit more north. Corona, Santa Ana, Murietta... You're heading north on the 15 anyways, right?
eeyore
Hmmm....

Staying in OC versus San Diego. I suppose OC is a veritable oasis compared to Corona. Not that I can talk down about Corona, since I live in El Cajon (at least it isn't Lakeside). I'd pick San Diego for my semi-vacation.

Pat & Oscars sounds like a decent proposal, price and space wise. Tho, I haven't been to the Karl Strauss Beer Gardens up with Sorrento Mesa in a long while... beerchug.gif

It sounds like Del Mar / Solana Beach is the northern limit of travel for Saturday.

Rusty, where abouts is your hotel? Downtown? Hotel Circle?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Mar 27 2005, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Mar 27 2005, 01:16 PM)
Hi guys!  We're flying into San Diego on the 16th.  I'll be picking up the Aubergine wub.gif  (not purple) car from Doctor Evil!   monkeydance.gif

Who, pray tell, is "WE"? Did you pursuade Pam to drive that far with you?

And I don't care what you say...... the car is PURPLE!!!!

So now you have Elwood, and the Purple People Eater!!! lol2.gif

That's OK Rusty,

DON'T FRIGGIN ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!!!!!! finger.gif

I just wanted to know if Pam was going with you.

SCREW YOU AND YOUR FRIGGIN PURPLE CAR!!! flipa.gif

wink.gif
Pam
I'll answer, Clay....yes, I'm going with him. So....here's the real 'dealio' (I can't believe I even typed 'dealio'...)

*I* will be arriving in Manhattan around midnight then getting up at 3 to LEAVE for the airport at 4...which if you figure in the time change to California means 19 hours by the time dinner comes around on only 4 hours sleep for me. Trust me, when Lawrence asks for a restaurant close to the hotel - he's only trying to save anyone who meets us from a less than pleasant Pam experience. Add two hours drive time to that and my otherwise sparkling personality might be adversely affected by a lack of sleep and a long day.

Besides - I have to be well rested to go meet Shamu the next day smile.gif (this trip IS all about SeaWorld, after all - the purple car is just an aside)

-Pam

ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Pam @ Mar 28 2005, 08:10 PM)
I'll answer, Clay....yes, I'm going with him. So....here's the real 'dealio' (I can't believe I even typed 'dealio'...)

*I* will be arriving in Manhattan around midnight then getting up at 3 to LEAVE for the airport at 4...which if you figure in the time change to California means 19 hours by the time dinner comes around on only 4 hours sleep for me. Trust me, when Lawrence asks for a restaurant close to the hotel - he's only trying to save anyone who meets us from a less than pleasant Pam experience. Add two hours drive time to that and my otherwise sparkling personality might be adversely affected by a lack of sleep and a long day.

Besides - I have to be well rested to go meet Shamu the next day smile.gif (this trip IS all about SeaWorld, after all - the purple car is just an aside)

-Pam

Thank you Dear.... I really appreciate the response, seeing as SOMEONE is ignoring me.... biggrin.gif

Pam... your personality is always sparkling. Don't let him drive you crazy on the trip back.

Hey Rusty.... See... Even Pam says it's PURPLE!!!!!! chairfall.gif

Rusty
QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 28 2005, 08:09 PM)
Rusty, why not have dinner up a bit more north. Corona, Santa Ana, Murietta... You're heading north on the 15 anyways, right?

No... actually, I'm not. My plan is to spend Sunday at Sea World.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Mar 28 2005, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 28 2005, 08:09 PM)

No... actually, I'm not. My plan is to spend Sunday at Sea World.

Hey Pam....

See... I TOLD you he was ignoring me!!!!

Rusty
The g*d damned car isn't PURPLE!!!! pissoff.gif

It's aubergine. wub.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
ClayPerrine
I am going to keep harassing you about your PURPLE car until you apologize for ignoring my earlier question..... bootyshake.gif
Howard
I want to know why you didn't plan this for a week later so you could meet EVERYONE at WCC. Slits was just kidding about not allowing admins to attend (I think) dry.gif
ClayPerrine
FYI... From the Online Dictonary ... Aubergine entry
------------------------------------------------------------------------

aubergine

n 1: hairy upright herb native to southeastern Asia but widely cultivated for its large glossy edible fruit commonly used as a vegetable [syn: eggplant, brinjal, eggplant bush, garden egg, mad apple, Solanum melongena] 2: egg-shaped vegetable having a shiny skin typically dark purple but occasionally white or yellow [syn: eggplant, mad apple]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

Aubergine

A secret term used to refer to computers in the
presence of computerphobic third parties.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we call your car a "hairy egg"? lol2.gif

Are you going to The Aubergine Nightclub?

Or there is Aubergine Introductions.

Eggplant recipes

The [URL=www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ nexus/Solanum_melongena_nex.html ]Purdue University webpage definition.....[/URL]
... Eggplant, Apple-of-love, Asiatic aubergine, Aubergine, Baby eggplant, Brinjal, ... Pea aubergine, Poor-man's-caviar

Poor-Man's-caviar.. Poor-Man's Porsche.....

Kinda fitting..

JoeSharp
Pam: There a few of that will meet you guys anywhere. Make it close to the Notele and we'll show up....
biggrin.gif Joe
JoeSharp
The car is Mad Apple, Not Purple.
biggrin.gif Joe
Aaron Cox
i can probably show.....

just trying to get the best turnout for you lawrence sad.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 28 2005, 08:54 PM)
The car is Mad Apple, Not Purple.
biggrin.gif Joe

Actually... I like the Hairy Egg better... wub.gif
JoeSharp
Mad Apple, Hairy egg. ITS STILL PURPLE.
biggrin.gif Joe
Gint
QUOTE (Pam @ Mar 28 2005, 07:10 PM)
my otherwise sparkling personality might be adversely affected by a lack of sleep and a long day.  

-Pam

Now I can't believe that! wink.gif Hi Pam.

Rusty didn't answer my question either Clay, so I ain't goin.
Brando
that's one hell of a drive. Color me purple.

... Uh, I mean tenative. Yeah, tenative. beer.gif
Dr Evil
I can't believe some of the OC crowd dry.gif I went up there, why can't ya'll come down here? I don't think that you all understand that part of his day will be spent doing final work on his car before the long trip. So ontop of getting up early, staying up for a oong time,and flying, he is gonna be wrenching. I am pretty sure that considering all of that, no one could ask him to drive two hours North to hang out for a few hours,just to then drive two hours South.

Rusty wants real Mexican food. What can we do? I'm thinking Old Town. There are a bunch of nice places there. If we want more festive/cheap, we could do any El Torito's.

Pam,
My fiancee will ba able to hang out with you while Rusty is goofing with the car. I will try to get as much of it done before you all get here as I can.

I need your itinerary so tha I know when to pick you up. You guys may be able to take a nap if you want. I could finish up on the 16th?
Jenny
agree.gif I'm planning on driving down from the SF bay area* to see Rusty. First and last time I saw him was at MUSR in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I dunno about you guys, but ever since 9/11, and especially since he arrived back in the states, I've been dying to see him face to face, if just to say thanks. flag.gif Ha!!! Now this thread is political!!

Jen wink.gif

*Provided I get my 4Runner motor rebuilt and installed by then. rolleyes.gif
Brando
The poor guy's gotta work on it in the hotel parking lot?! I hope someone's driving a forklift down there. I should be able to make the drive. I'll bring lots of tools. What kind of maintainance parts you need? Oil filter? Plugs? Plug Wires? Cap and rotor? Points and Condenser? Floor Jack? Jack stands? Name it bub and I'll try to grab what I can.
eeyore
Mike / Rusty,

Not that my place is 'on the way' or even clean, but if you need space, I have it. I have enough jackstands for one and a half 914s, which incidentally is the quantity of 914s in my possession.
Dr Evil
Oil filter sounds good. I have a little gated parking area that I get access to. This is where the car will be stored/worked on. I will be looking forward to seeing you all down here smilie_pokal.gif

Jenny,
4-Runner!? I am sorry. I have one that is a 93 dry.gif Me no like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.