Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Main Seal Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
I was just reading Saigon71's post about a leaking RMS and got a pit in my stomach.
I just installed a new Erling RMS as part of my clutch job. I used the instructions found on the Pelican site.
Saigon 71 mentioned that he used grease on the lip of the seal. The Pelican instructions didn't mention anything about using grease or any other type of lubricant on the seal so I didn't. Maybe this is just standard shop practice for you pro's out there?

Here are my questions:
1. I used an Erling seal. Should I have used something else?
2. Should I have used grease on the lip before mounting the flywheel?

Engine is out of the car.

Thanks in advance.
Jack
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jack20 @ Apr 2 2016, 11:22 AM) *

I was just reading Saigon71's post about a leaking RMS and got a pit in my stomach.
I just installed a new Erling RMS as part of my clutch job. I used the instructions found on the Pelican site.
Saigon 71 mentioned that he used grease on the lip of the seal. The Pelican instructions didn't mention anything about using grease or any other type of lubricant on the seal so I didn't. Maybe this is just standard shop practice for you pro's out there?

Here are my questions:
1. I used an Erling seal. Should I have used something else?
2. Should I have used grease on the lip before mounting the flywheel?

Engine is out of the car.

Thanks in advance.
Jack

I have always greased the lip of the seal. It prevents damaging the seal lip at initial startup.

McMark
I never have.
jack20
Any concerns about the Erling seal?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.