Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And you think a V8 swap is special!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
The Cap'n NEEDS this car!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW
mattillac
three words:

awesome death trap aktion035.gif
ArtechnikA
when i was a kid, there was the hulk of an Isetta behind my grandparents' greenhouse on the outskirts of Hannibal, Mo. i never heard the story of how such a car ever found its way there...
Cap'n Krusty
I think that's one word: AWESOMEDEATHTRAP!!!!!! LOL, The Cap'n
jgiroux67
I've thought of putting a Susuki Hayabusa engine in a 914. There like 200hp stock and people get them up to 250hp. Is there a way to adapt it to our 914's? The lotus seven people have been successfull with putting them in there cars.
Mueller
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Mar 29 2005, 07:22 PM)
I've thought of putting a Susuki Hayabusa engine in a 914. There like 200hp stock and people get them up to 250hp. Is there a way to adapt it to our 914's? The lotus seven people have been successfull with putting them in there cars.

the 914 weighs too much.....the 'busa does not have enough torque in the rpm range needed......

Is there a way to adapt it to our 914's? The lotus seven people have been successfull with putting them in there cars

you answered your own question which didn't have to be asked if you saw the Isetta and if you know the Lotus guys are doing it biggrin.gif screwy.gif

aircooledboy
THAT LIL' BASTARD ROCKS!!!!!!! aktion035.gif

I would consider buying that thing in a heartbeat if there was an economical way to get her here to the great flatlands. w00t.gif
Andyrew
Is there a way of equiping it with a supercharger to give it some down low tq?

Or is it already turbocharged or something??

I dont know much about those things, but I do think its cool!
Joe Bob
Gives Mikey a stiffie.....
ws91420
There is a guy in GA putting V-Tech motors in the old Minis.
GWN7
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Mar 29 2005, 06:29 PM)
THAT LIL' BASTARD ROCKS!!!!!!! aktion035.gif

I would consider buying that thing in a heartbeat if there was an economical way to get her here to the great flatlands. w00t.gif

It's small enough that you might be able to mail it. biggrin.gif

I like it beerchug.gif
dlo914
laugh.gif steve urkle pimped his ride... laugh.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Mar 29 2005, 09:07 PM)

WHY BOTHER? V-tec sucks....big time.
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 29 2005, 11:32 PM)

and you base this on what known experiance??? smile.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 30 2005, 12:42 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 29 2005, 11:32 PM)

and you base this on what known experiance??? smile.gif

i know friends who have ricer cars and love V-tec....WTF? it only actuvates at 5000RPM ONLY TO SAVE GAS...............lame dry.gif except for the integra Type R, which uses a revamped V-tec tuned for performance.

EDIT: me and a buddy were in his 2002 Civic doing 120mph down a small intercity expressway....he was gritting his teeth at the thought and suspense of theat rpm needle reaching 5000 and vtec kicking in...and when it did....it was so lame. He was a idiot. He rolled that car two months later.
Joe Bob
Well...that's the V-TEC and Honda in general....buzzy, high strung, top end HP....that was the bitch about the small bore 911 motors back in the day....except they only got it on around 5K rpms.....the honda sporty cars wait until.6500 and PULL up to what? 9K?
Type 4
Hmm
I have owned 3 250 Isettas ,2 300 Isetta an d2 600 Isettas.

One of the 600's I removed the 19hp 600 amd replaced it with a BMW 700Cs engine. The engines are the same exept for the Twin Carbs and High compression pistons.
It was just plain Scary way to much power for the 600's tiny Brakes.

Had a lot of fun with Isettas along with all the other Micro Cars I have owned over the years.

Here are just a few:
Bmw 700 cs had three of them. My 1964 is now in the BMW Factory Museum.

Trabant 600 my daily driver for a couple of years. Twin RD-350 Chambers Nothing like winding out a Two Stroke. That car can be seen in the movie " Driving Me Crazy" With Thomas Gottchal and Billy Dee Williams.

Subaru 360 had a couple of these in highSchool. These got me Hooked on Two Strokes.

Nsu prinz 1000 TT I got this from an Old Guy who brought it back from West Germany while he was in the Airforce. Just plain Bitchen car If you ever see one check out the oilcooler.

2-CV mine had a Ami-8 Engine which is the Hot rodders way of Hopping them up. Sold it to a Guy in Santa Barbra named John Hancock Two Tone Grey . Have you seen it around town Mike Z.

Moris Minors had a bunch of these. my buddies and I were into taking the 948cc out and putting 124 Fiat engines in. The Sleeper of all time. Had to swap in midget brakes to get them to stop.

So many Saab two strokes my buddys called me Sven Svenska. I was a member of the Saab club way back in the Richard Grossman days.

The one I always wanted was a Messer KR 500. Still looking for one but way out of my price range now.
AndyC
A friend of mine is currently putting a hayabusa engine into one of these for a hill climb car

Type 4
My folks sold Imps.

They were the LA Dealers for Roots Group Products.

The Alpine on Get Smart was sold by them To the Studio.

Growing up in the 60's and having ridden in just about every sports car sold at the the time.

We always had some uniqure cars at our house eithers as a car my dad was importing or as a trade in.

Meet a lot of the Movie and TV Stars who would come in to look at Morgans or some of the other cars they were selling.

Both my folks race Morgans in SCCA.The parties at our house was like a who's who of racers just about anyone of the famous racers from the sixty's I have meet.

My love of cars came from being around so many of what are now called classics.

AndyC
I was trying to get him to put a six in the Imp but we concluded it would be impossible to keep the front end on the floor lol2.gif
mattillac
QUOTE (AndyC @ Mar 30 2005, 04:00 AM)
A friend of mine is currently putting a hayabusa engine into one of these for a hill climb car

that's badass! turbocharge it!! mueba.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Mar 29 2005, 11:21 PM)
laugh.gif steve urkle pimped his ride... laugh.gif

I remember that...I was reading to see if anyone else caught that before I showed my age and said the same thing.

lol2.gif
ben1440
QUOTE ("Z" @ Mar 29 2005, 10:49 PM)
Well...that's the V-TEC and Honda in general....buzzy, high strung, top end HP....that was the bitch about the small bore 911 motors back in the day....except they only got it on around 5K rpms.....the honda sporty cars wait until.6500 and PULL up to what? 9K?

if vtech sucks why is it in bmw's and new porshces and whatever else has variable valve timing. i think the new ivtech or whatever is crap, but a nicely tuned 4 banger with vtech (what i used to play with) can deffinitely be fun. dont worry, i would take my 914 thats in millions of pieces over a ricer now, but it was fun

( i qutoed the wrong thing headbang.gif )
ws91420
I don't if I still have the article but I believe they were using a type R vtech. The point is that that put a larger HP engine in a smaller car and kept stock appearance from the outside . They kept the MINIs 10 in wheels. They said it was really bed in the rain.
bd1308
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Mar 30 2005, 05:19 PM)
I don't if I still have the article but I believe they were using a type R vtech. The point is that that put a larger HP engine in a smaller car and kept stock appearance from the outside . They kept the MINIs 10 in wheels. They said it was really bed in the rain.

the type R vtec is freaking awesome....and by far the best example of the exception to the rule.....that engine rocks my world.
SLITS
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Mar 30 2005, 12:29 AM)
Hmm
I have owned 3 250 Isettas ,2 300 Isetta an d2 600 Isettas.

And if you are who I think you are.....just exactly how did you fit in the Isetta?
Rgreen914
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Mar 30 2005, 08:03 AM)
"... Growing up in the 60's...unique cars...famous racers from the sixty's..."

Ever hear of the drag racer, E.J. "Parachute" Potter ("The Michigan Madman"), creator of many Allison (12-cylinder airplane engine) powered race cars? One of them was a '57 Plymouth, 4-door; another was an Isetta he called "Al-fetta" or just "Big Al"! He also enjoyed building/racing small block Chevy powered motorcycles with such descriptive names as "The Widow Maker" and "Bloody Mary"!

Ron
bd1308
does anybody have one of these guys? ive never ridden in one before
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Mar 29 2005, 07:07 PM)

V-Tech is a crappy phone. VTEC is Honda's version of the "pick which of two cam profiles you want" technology. Very similar to the "Vario-Cam Plus" that is in the new Porsche engines, though I believe that the Porsche system not only lets you pick which cam profile you want but also allows the cams to be advanced or retarded.

VTEC is pretty neat stuff--particularly in the early 90s, when it first came out! You get one engine with two different modes of behavior; it acts like a normal small-displacement four-cylinder motor when at low RPMS. Then at high RPMs it acts like a real rev-happy mother. The mid-90s Integra GS-R (the VTEC equipped version) had just about the same torque rating as the LS (which did not have VTEC), but made about 50 more HP. 180 HP isn't too shabby from a 1.8 liter that will run several hundred thousand miles without an overhaul, neh?

It sounds like Honda has come out with a version that is specifically made for fuel economy. Not a bad thing, IMHO, but definitely not the sort of motor you want in the "performance" versions of your cars.

--DD
ws91420
Dave my error it should be VTEC vs. VTech brain fart after long day at work.
Cap'n Krusty
I had a Fiat Abarth Zagato for 1 day .............. my mom wouldn't let me keep it. I had a 59 2CV for a while, and later a KR 200. I knew a guy with a Messerschmidt "Tiger". 4 wheels, same body style as mine. I like microcars, and I wouldn't mind having some more, but I need to get rid of some of the projects I have now. Yeah, right ........... The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
I had a customer bring in a bright yellow Honda 600 convertible for a tune up. He said it didn't run real well. I took a look at it and found that someone had taken out the original 600cc engine, and had installed an 1100 Hurrincane motor, complete with a kerker header and a bunch of aftermarket high performance goodies. I had him take me out for a drive. He was shifting around 2k on the tach. Then he let me drive.... When the Hurricane motor hit the powerband, all I heard from the right seat was a long drawn out "HOLY SHIT!!!!" as I went through the gears, speed shifting all the way. I then took the car and blew away a brand new Corvette with it. Royally pissed off the vette driver. biggrin.gif At the next light, the vette had me for about the first 50 yards. Then I passed him like he was standing still.

Back at the shop, I told the guy I couldn't tune it up. I suggested that he take it to a motorcycle shop. I didn't charge him anything, and told him that if he ever wanted to sell the car that I wanted to buy it. He thanked me for the advise, and the last I saw of him was a bright yellow flash as he left the parking lot.
xitspd
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 29 2005, 06:17 PM)
when i was a kid, there was the hulk of an Isetta behind my grandparents' greenhouse on the outskirts of Hannibal, Mo. i never heard the story of how such a car ever found its way there...

Hannibal, Missouri! That's where my Grandparents lived as well. Very cool town for a native Californian to visit.
SpecialK
Impressive.....but not as scary as the Opel GT w/Allison V12 stuffed into it a year or so ago. Someone on the PP board put it well, "Just point, and shoot!" ohmy.gif
airsix
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 29 2005, 06:29 PM)
the 914 weighs too much.....the 'busa does not have enough torque in the rpm range needed......

Is there a way to adapt it to our 914's? The lotus seven people have been successfull with putting them in there cars

Mike is right. You shouldn't put a 'Busa motor in a 914. You should put in two. With turbos.
If my ship came in, say... tomorrow - I'd buy a big chunk of real estate, build my dream house and dream shop on it, and then the very next thing I'd do would be a twin-busa powered 914. Just for kicks. Then I'd build a multi-layout private race track (professionally designed of course) on the back 600 acres. Then I'd buy a CHAMP car and do whatever I had to to get it licenced for the street. Just for kicks. Then I'd try to think up a really crazy project. wink.gif Oh yeah, about the busa-powered 914 - I've seriously thought about a twin-busa conversion. That would rock. And the sound... Oh the sweet glorious sound...
-Ben M. is screwy.gif
ematulac
I've been thinking a lot about a 914 with a Hayabusa engine.

This page has really been whetting my appetite, too.

Have you seen the Smartuki?

A stock smart car weighs 1500 lbs. Seems to me the 1300 should be able to move a 914 fairly briskly.

Edit: Oops ... didn't realize this thread was from last year.
lapuwali
QUOTE(jgiroux67 @ Mar 29 2005, 07:22 PM) *

The problem with using the Huyabusa engine in the 914 is a lack of torque. While it has 200hp+, it still has no more torque than most other 1300cc engines. With super light car like a Lotus Seven clone (1000-1200lbs), this really isn't a problem. With the much heavier 914, it's much more of a problem. You'd have to add a turbo to the 'busa engine to get the torque up to a useful range, or take the URY plan for weight reduction.

The rest is engineering a mounting system and a drive system, either using a chain-driven diff, or turn the engine and drive a convential rear diff through a coupling from the output shaft.

ematulac
I just saw this very discussion in another thread ... the one where alpha posted a pic of his sister. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.