Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: push rod seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
hi guys,
I have dropped my engine to do some preventative maintenance...I am going to install some push rod tube seals...do I use permatex on them...also got some valve cover gaskets...do I use it on them?
thanks ar15.gif beer3.gif ar15.gif idea.gif
Joe
scotty b
vaseline or anti seaze on the push rod seals. NEVER use any kind of "sealant" on them, they need to be able to move. As you install them turn them and once seated rotate them a little to make sure the seals seat properly. Permatex can be used on the valve covers but shouldn't be necessary. (I use RTV) biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
NEVER use any kind of "sealant" on them,

I disagree... I have found many flexible teflon sealants that work MUCH better than the grease trick.

scotty b
I will bow to YOUR knowledge. pray.gif Please enlighten us to their names?
Mueller
QUOTE (scotty b @ Mar 29 2005, 07:57 PM)
I will bow to YOUR knowledge. pray.gif Please enlighten us to their names?

you never heard of Permatex® ??? screwy.gif biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Loctite 565.

Its available at my store.
It's an integral part of my leak free engines.

The factory may have designed the seals not to leak without sealants, they did a crappy job.

beemie96
Is there a particular kind of Permatex to use? Or is the loctite 565 stuff the best? I just spent hours doing one side of the car, and it still leaks... of course... i put oil on the seals before I put them in, and did make sure to rotate them to 'seat' them... a couple of them seamed to rotate better than others, but they all seemed to 'seat'

So, do I put sealant on the cork gasket and the tube seals?

Cap'n Krusty
Jake and I disagree here. Pretty rare when we do, but this is one of those times. I've been oiling them for 32 years now, and I find it workds just fine. I use the viton seals, clean everything really well, twist the tubes while installing, and never have leaks. I glue the VC gaskets to the valve covers with an old time product called "Gasgacinch". Find it in better REAL autoparts stores. You shouldn't be in those other ones anyway. Apply the sealant to the valve cover and the CORRECT side of the gasket, let'em air dry while you adjust the valves, then carefully put them together. Works great! Being able to pull them apart with relative ease is a bonus. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.