Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does rust sleep?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Anyone have experience with this product, seems as though it may have saved this 914
SixerJ
No it doesn't, but you might just be correct with this rust proofing product

In my youth I was into Triumph Spitfires. They had rubbish paint and even worse rust proofing. In short succession I owned two Spitfires, one was paper thin swiss cheese in all the structural areas, the other had Zebart proofing done by the dealer from birth.

Virtually no rust in the 2nd car even though they rolled off the production line just months apart / similar mileage

The only downside was the fact the car had little black plastic plugs covering up the holes where they drilled to insert the spray wand. I seem to remember they were a pig to get out and you wrecked them on removal / had to replace with flat blind rubber plugs

Fingers crossed that it has saved your car from the tin worm
Gunn1
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Apr 17 2016, 05:42 AM) *

No it doesn't, but you might just be correct with this rust proofing product

In my youth I was into Triumph Spitfires. They had rubbish paint and even worse rust proofing. In short succession I owned two Spitfires, one was paper thin swiss cheese in all the structural areas, the other had Zebart proofing done by the dealer from birth.

Virtually no rust in the 2nd car even though they rolled off the production line just months apart / similar mileage

The only downside was the fact the car had little black plastic plugs covering up the holes where they drilled to insert the spray wand. I seem to remember they were a pig to get out and you wrecked them on removal / had to replace with flat blind rubber plugs

Fingers crossed that it has saved your car from the tin worm

Click to view attachment

The plugs on this car are yellow you see one in the upper part of the door
sb914
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 17 2016, 03:28 AM) *

Anyone have experience with this product, seems as though it may have saved this 914

Rust never sleeps!
Gunn1
QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 17 2016, 06:41 AM) *

QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 17 2016, 03:28 AM) *

Rust never sleeps!

Click to view attachment

Maybe the wasps kept Rusty at bay
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

I think it saved the car!
boxsterfan
Might have helped but probably not. Has the car been sitting outside for years?

Let's see the longs and the hell hole.

Gunn1
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 17 2016, 06:03 PM) *

Might have helped but probably not. Has the car been sitting outside for years?

Let's see the longs and the hell hole.

I will get the Rockers off and take some more photos of the longs next weekend.

Had to pick up another 914 today!
Gunn1
Click to view attachment
Gunn1
Click to view attachment
Gunn1
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 17 2016, 06:39 PM) *

What do you think so far? still skeptical?
boxsterfan
In my opinion, there is quite a bit of rust there although the car is not folding in half. Under what conditions was it stored?
Gunn1
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 17 2016, 07:50 PM) *

In my opinion, there is quite a bit of rust there although the car is not folding in half. Under what conditions was it stored?

Car was stored inside.

Sure there is some rust scale but the steel is solid everywhere I have poked around.

It might be something to turn your nose up about coming from California, but I think it is a great find

There are no rust holes in the floor boards, inner fender wells, trailing arms or councils, the front bulkhead including under the spare have zero rust. There are no holes on the inner longs.It has the factory paint which means there has been no bodywork done on the car, which is phenomenal for a 42 year old automobile.

I have looked at many (20) Midwestern 914s and this is the cleanest I have yet to find.
And that is why I purchased it.

Guess it's just a difference of opinion, but I think the rust treatment saved the car aktion035.gif
veekry9
Is good.
smile.gif
Ziebart did good business here in the TO,the salt slush the most aggressive.
A waxy,medium viscosity spray with good wicking into seams,saved many a rocker.
/
Gunn1
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Apr 17 2016, 09:13 PM) *

Is good.
smile.gif
Ziebart did good business here in the TO,the salt slush the most aggressive.
A waxy,medium viscosity spray with good wicking into seams,saved many a rocker.
/

10-4, we have much the same crud here in Mn.

That salt brine they put down was death for many automobiles. It was worse for anything like a 914 with a unibody that didn't have today's "factory" zinc and other coatings/trearments where the car is actually dipped in the treatment.

I worked on many, many rusted out vehicles in my day and can say the early unibody car was the vehicle that always got the worst of "Rusty" smash.gif
Elliot Cannon
Rust NEVER sleeps. It is an evil, insidious, living thing. It is to be challenged, fought and defeated at every opportunity. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.