Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trying to build oil pressure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
I have my freash 2056 in the floor right now and Im trying to build oil pressure outside the car to make sure I have no problems. Well I have a problem.

Rocker assemblies are out, plugs are out, and its filled with oil. With the transmission off the flywheel cranks pretty freely. I can turn it over by hand with no problem. Then I bolt up the transmission and try to bump it with the starter and it wont budge. Whats causing this? The trans is out of gear and the starter works when I hook up 12v.

blink.gif
McMark
Is the starter actually trying to spin, or are you just hearing the solenoid kick out but not spin?
MattR
When I pull the starter out it actually spins, but when its in the trans housing i just hear it click.
JoeSharp
Ground Check...BTDT Check all conectors at the battery and the starter and the tranny ground and the hot start relay if you have one. Just went through this with Linda. Check All Conectors.
biggrin.gif Joe
mattillac
did you test your battery?
MattR
I am using jumper cables from the battery terminals to the starter and case bolts. The surfaces are clean, and the battery is charged. I have the starter there with an "engine start" button and tried that. No dice sad.gif
mattillac
whats up with your starter. new, rebuilt, what?
john rogers
Does the tranny turn over when in neutral using the input shaft? When you bolt the tranny on and put it in gear can you turn the engine with one of the axel stubs? Sounds like something is getting jammed when you bolt the tranny on?
McMark
With the engine and trans together, can you turn the engine over using the fan?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 30 2005, 12:50 PM)
With the engine and trans together, can you turn the engine over using the fan?

nope... i asked him that too

he says the starter works outside of the trans..gear comeout and spins.....
i told him to spin the trans by the output shaft while it is in gear.... he says it pops out of gear....

ithink his trans is bunding something or it is internally fuc**d
JoeSharp
Remember when Scotts clutch linkage messed him up.
Joe
TheCabinetmaker
Ditch the jumper cables. Hook hard cables straight to the battery or you'll never get enough voltage to the starter. Remember, your engine is not grounded to anything!
Type 4
You will get it just take your time.
Rand
I don't think messing with electrical connections/cables is gonna help if the motor won't turn by fan or axle stubs (especially with no compression/plugs out). Keep us curious bystanders posted Matt. Hope it turns out to be a simple fix.
TheCabinetmaker
S@#t! Just reread this thread. I totally missed the post by mark and the reply by Aaron. I must agree with the rest. I'll go have a beer.gif now!
mattillac
is your clutch set up right?
Aaron Cox
bump for matt.....

any news?
Dave_Darling
My first check would be: Can you turn it using the fan? It should turn easily with no spark plugs in it to hold the compression.

If not, then Something Is Wrong inside the motor. You could have messed up the crank endfloat measurement, or it could be something like the oil pump drive tang is too long, or .... ??

--DD
JoeSharp
If the motor turned over before you hooked up the tranny the prob is the tranny. Tension on the clutch through the through out bearing yoke.
Joe
MattR
Okay, an update.

I got really frusturated with the 914 so i spent a lot of time with the 912 today. I figured out why it sounded like shit; the floats were WAY out of whack on one side.
BUT to the 914: like joe sharp said the motor turned over freely by hand with no trans. Its definately the trans or clutch. In neutral I can spin the output shafts freely. It doesnt bind. I put it in fifth and it was rock solid. I had some luck when a-aron suggested topping up the gear oil. I put in a quart of gear oil and now it spins in 5th, but still doesnt start. I put a quart of oil in and I think im going to add another. I dont think I topped it up all the way, then I'll try that. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the support!
MattR
Oh, I was just thinking. How could a clutch adjustment alter this? Currently there is no cable connected to the clutch, but the pressure plate, throw out bearing, and clutch are all installed.
McMark
Try taking the pressure plate and clutch disk off. Then put them together and try and start it. You don't need those to crank it. Worth a try.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.