Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stoopid question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
and keep seeing auctions for "Front and Rear" Sway bars...What are they and do i need to replace them?

I've been a 914 owner for a few years and have just started my OJT Apprenitceship as a wanna be 914 mechanic.

just wondering.... unsure.gif
Mueller
you might have them already........

do you have a Haynes manual yet?

if so, it'll show you where to look for them on your car smile.gif

swaybars do not really wear out, the reason you see factory bars for sale is that someone upgraded (for aggressive driving or racing or bragging rights) or a car is being parted out and someone might be looking for a cheap upgrade from not having swaybars at all.

there are aftermarket bars available, I say stay away from them until you know why you'd need them, it'll save you some money smile.gif

JoeSharp
Sway bars, anit roll device appllied to the front and rear suspension of the cars to improve handling.
Front and rear sway bars (stock)
biggrin.gif Joe
Allan
What ya gonna do with those sway bars Joe? wink.gif
fatlando
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 30 2005, 11:45 AM)
Sway bars, anit roll device appllied to the front and rear suspension of the cars to improve handling.
biggrin.gif Joe

Joe,

thanx for the reply...by the way thats a mighty nice floor you got your sway bars on....

my wife would be envious!! biggrin.gif
Mueller
What are they

opps, missed that....basicly a "spring" that will try to keep the car level while cornering...lets say you make a hard left hand turn, the weight of the car will be leaning towards the passanger side of the vehicle, what the swaybar (or proper term, anti-sway bar) will do is "fight" this leaning and make the passanger side suspension stiffer in order to prevent the leaning......I'm sure someone could explain it better smile.gif

JoeSharp
Allan: Do you have any idea what kind of PARTS WHORE I AM.
Fatlando: I don't have a wife of S.O. for that matter. So I'm in charge of the honey dos. Let me tell you man that list is SHORT. I get to let my 914 projects bump my house projects. Thanks. I like to get into my projects (the Travatine).
biggrin.gif Joe
fatlando
Mike,

Thanx for the info....what i like about our cars is that technology will never ever invade our cars.....If you look at new cars today it's all bells and whistles and lights and i just scratch my head waiting for the cappucino to make...

With ours.. it's straight metal and motor...

cya
fat lando
ArtechnikA
it may help you to understand what they are if you think for a moment that they are properly called "anti-roll" bars -- but typically only pedantic types like myself call them that (and refer to "shock absorbers" by their proper name "spring dampers.")

since they MOSTLY affect only roll, they are typically used to fine-tune a suspension or add additional roll resistance to a car in which resisting roll with springs alone would result in an excessively harsh ride.

anti-roll bars are torsion bars that run, perpendicular to the axis of travel, from one wheel to its axle pair. by transferring weight from the 'inside' wheel to the 'outside' wheel in a turn, the body resists rolling.

like Mike says - a proper bar won't wear out, although the bushings sometimes do. in the case of non-adjustable bars (e.g. factory...) people sometimes replace them with stiffer but adjustable bars so the suspension can be tuned for different venues. a car that is nimble and has good turn-in at an autocross will be 'twitchy' on a big track at very high speeds.

most 914's benefit greatly from having SOME front anti-roll bar. the factory bar is quite light; there are racing parts that are very, very stiff. this does not make them BETTER unless you are racing. 914's are all about balance...
Dave_Darling
Amen to that!

There's a fairly detailed tech article on front sway bar installation on the Pelican Parts website. (See the URL in my signature, below.) There are pretty decent pictures, and it will give you an idea of where the front bar is and how it goes in.

(In the future, the above is likely to be paraphrased, "Check the Bird site!")

--DD
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 30 2005, 12:45 PM)
biggrin.gif Joe

nice tile joe smile.gif lol2.gif
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (fatlando @ Mar 30 2005, 12:00 PM)
With ours.. it's straight metal and motor...

cya
fat lando

Rusted straight metal and motor biggrin.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.