Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a arm removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
how the heck do you rremove the a arm? i wanna replace the bushings.

ps in the process of installing tie rods, ball joints (removed), just waiting on how the a arm comes off.
skline
That is all too easy. Just remove the bolts in the front and then the rear bolts and it drops right out. Are you really having a problem with it??
opera guy
bolt 30 and 17? (those arent removed yet)

30 is stuck in there, will take some elbow grease
Jeroen
if you already have the tie-rods and balljoints loose, then it's a walk in the park biggrin.gif

unbolt the torsionbar adjuster bolt (all the way out) and take off the adjuster cap
next to the adjuster bolt, there's a bolt that holds the a-arm to the x-member, take it out

upfront, there's a protective cover over the end of the a-arm
it's bolted to the chassis with a single allen bolt, take it off
then there's 2 bolts that mount the front of the a-arm to the chassis, remove them (have the a-arm supported)

now you can pull the a-arm from the x-member (forward motion)
Jeroen
liquid wrench... or even better: impact wrench laugh.gif
opera guy
ok ok, you guys rock. i got them both out, now, how do i take the "stuff" off to replace the bushings? lol
datapace
A MAPP gas torch works the best. Don't cook the bushings, just until apply flame you see light grey smoke, then insert a chopstick (er, screwdriver) in the bolt holes of the mounts and just twist right off. Then you can use a utility knife if you need to or just slip the old rubber bushing off of the arm itself.

-bryan

Eric_Shea
Chop Sticks lol2.gif
Eric_Shea
OK... I'll be serious.

Heat. Use a torch until you see a "whisp" of smoke. Then take a big screwdriver and start turning them and pulling them off.

Once the outer covers are off, cut with a utility knife and remove the remainder of the bushing.
Eric_Shea
(or what Bryan said) biggrin.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 30 2005, 05:26 PM)
Chop Sticks lol2.gif

Crap. 3 minutes late on that one. laugh.gif
Series9
here:
opera guy
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 30 2005, 04:33 PM)
here:

LMFAO!!!!!!!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Dave_Darling
I think we need to get a chopstick smiley added to the list of clickable ones...

--DD
mike_the_man
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 30 2005, 04:26 PM)
Chop Sticks lol2.gif

ROFLMAO!!! Man, you guys kill me. I don't think anybody ever forgets anything here. If I ever screw up, remind me not to post it! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.