Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa top corner repair?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Menmojo
I'm planning on refinishing the targa top on my 75 914. One of the front corners is broken off and I'm looking for advice on how to repair it. The previous owner painted it the same color as the body and I'm not happy with the way it looks. My plan is to attempt to repair the front corner, sand the top flat then have it sprayed in a satin black finish. I know I could attempt to find a new top but thought I would give it a shot to repair the one I have first.

Any advice on how to attempt to fix the corner?
Tom_T
It's a 2-part fiberglass resin, so a FG repair kit from the local Home Despot etc. would work, although you'll probably need to cut some FG into short 1/16"-1/8" strands to mix in for strength in that corner.

You may need to make a cardboard or wood form to hold the resin til it sets, but you need a release agent on it to keep it from sticking to the form (check the resin/hardener tech info for what they recco for release agent with their particular formulation).

You'll probably want to use the Wurth under body Shutx for the pebble texture to match the original look, but practice sprays on some cardboard before trying the roof, then spray your satin or semi-matte black over it.

There are some threads in O&H on the techniques to finish the tops, or look at rockers & valances - which are the same finish technique.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cuda911
A pic would help, but I would think that any fiberglass kit (cloth and resin) would work just fine. If it's really small, any of those plastic mender putties should be fine.
Menmojo
Thanks for the info!
Here is a photo (it looks pretty nasty)
I thought I'd give it a try. I'm thinking I have nothing to loose. If it gets screwed up or doesn't work then ill finger a new top. I appreciate all the input.Click to view attachment
Cuda911
I think I'd try a two-part plastic/epoxy putty for that corner. Be sure to clean of the paint first. There are many brands, some that set up rock hard and are extremely durable.

Also, give 914Rubber a call and get that funky rubber replaced. smile.gif
era vulgaris
Wow, what color is your car? In that pic it looks like an old VW color L398 Pacific Blue. And with a white interior??? More pics of this car please! drooley.gif
Menmojo
Here are a couple photos. I'm not sure exactly what color the car is. I bought this 914 about a year ago. I'm an avid porsche enthusiast and PCA racer. I stumbled on this car on Craigslist. I wasn't even seriously looking for a 914 but when I checked it out it was an absolutely rust free car. It also has the original engine with fuel injection intact. Although it needs some attention I took it on as a fun project since it was rust free. Recently I gutted and installed an entirely new interior thanks to Mickey914 at 914 rubber. The car originally did have a white interior so I decided to restore it as such. If you have a guess on what color it is let me know. It's close to Olympic blue but a shade off. It is a brighter blue than Olympic.
Sooner or later I'll post some better photos. Thanks to 914 rubber the interior gets a lot of positive comments.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
era vulgaris
Ah ok, yeah it's definitely blue. That closeup photo it looked like it had some green in it. Looks great though and that interior is gorgeous! I'd be terrified of it. It would probably end up covered in grease and oil smudges if it were mine. biggrin.gif
76-914
I'd be damn surprised if one could just scab on that piece without it separating soon thereafter! Yes you can add strands of glass or micro balloons to make a stronger slurry but the attach area itself will be small and stressed. If it were me, and it's not biggrin.gif , I would do a scarf joint and take it back at least 4". beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.